Well...I bought a 700$ dodge...help plz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barrett Tillema

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok so I bought a 1995 blue RCSB 360 magnum. It's got issues video included no pictures today, will post later. This is going to be my daily, picked it up yesterday and drove it home, it sat for like 2 years. Well long story short it shook bad in overdrive when accelerating even just a little, guy said it was leaking oil on the spark plug from a valve stem seal, so naturally I replaced the plug and drove it again today just down the road to see what happens, no more shaking. I instictually thought driveline but seems it had something to do with the misfire. No cel but its probably just broken due to the sketchy condition of the rest of the truck, no white smoke, #8 was very black on the end of the spark plug after just a few minutes if running, also wet with something I cant tell what but it only smells slightly of fuel. Intake was wet on the inside and had spots of blackish looking gunk, throttle body butterflies had black greasy gunk on the top. Alternator, radiator and left side manifold is detached at the moment for further investigation, can someone please share their infinite mopar wisdom and guide me in the right directions. Attached is the video of it's weird idle, post new spark plug.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
If you haven’t already then change all fluids, diffs, coolant, oil, transfer case, tranny, etc etc. Clean tb, Replace cap and rotor, plugs, wires, tps, clean all body, chassis, engine grounds. Go through all the wiring, make sure there’s no corrosion on/in any connections. Start there and see how she runs. Others will chime in with things I forgot and advice, just be patient.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
definitely if it sat, change your oil, and all filters and other fluids. check your rear diff at least make sure its full, take the check bolt out and stick your finger in if you can feel something its good, should be just under the opening.

Speaking from experience replacing a rear end is not a fun task.

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That idol prob could be the iac. Its at the back of the tb. Try pulling it and cleaning it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First thing I'd do is clean the engine bay and undercarriage a good cleaning so you can spot leaks, broken or damaged wiring etc an give it a thorough look over. Check fluid levels of course on everything. Cleaning and checking doesn't require parts and it's a good idea to really look it over and start doing the math before you get carried away.

OP
OP
B

Barrett Tillema

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I will get back to it maybe tommorow and give it a thurough cleaning. Check all fluids and see what' going on with it.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like the intake manifold plenum gasket is blown. Very common problem on these trucks. In addition, the catalytic converter is probably plugged or getting there. If you want to fix it on the cheap, pull the manifold and get an updated gasket (Fel-Pro, don't cheap out here). Take your time installing it and torque in stages and in sequence. The intake pan is very picky and new gaskets immediately leaking like hell is almost always the result of improper torqing. Get some new Champion RC12YC plugs and put 'em in (NO precious metal plugs, they WILL misfire). Clean the throttle body as good as you can get it. The IAC pintle will likely be gunked up as well so you'll want to clean that as best you can too (be careful not to pull the pintle out too much or you'll break it). Put everything back together and see how she runs. If it's still rough and especially if cylinder 8 is still misfiring, replace the catalytic converter. You should be able score a cheapy on eBay for around 70 bucks.

Also, put some gas in in, LOL. Looks like the pump's sucking up whatever gunk is in the bottom of the tank. Would be a good time to dump a can of Seafoam in there and then put 15 gallons or so on top of it.

OP
OP
B

Barrett Tillema

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I put 10 in to get it home lol, maybe 15 miles lol and the light came on about halfway, it really ate it up. I figured theplenum was bad so thats why I have the radiator and brackets off. Also it drives terrible, it wants to go all over the road, its hard to control, what kind of suspension issues am I looking at, I know the shocks are done, somehere in the past someone let the shocks go from squeaking to screaming for mercy every time you hit a bump. Maybe it needs a track bar? I' not big on suspension and driveline it' a gray area for me.

OP
OP
B

Barrett Tillema

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well seems its going to rain so I'll get a few pictures because I left the windows down and the hood up.

Andrew Belser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Try the spray seafoam treatment. Itll clean your butterfly valve and the whole intake. Did wonders for my 360 and it only cost 10 bucks

m_chevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like my kinda problem. I bought my Ram for $500. Wound up having to do an engine swap because of a broken valve. I just failed smog because it's running very rich. Pretty sure it has to do with vacuum leaks.

wegsleepregeling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 petrol
Not running yet. Since it crapped out 300 miles from here in a super remote place, and I sort of don't need it most of the time, my mechanic has been able to back burner it for a good long while. Looks like he's doing some work on it this week, though.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
clean out throttle body and maybe change o2 sensors and spark plugs thats a good start