What’s this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 Diesel
Hello. I own a 2005 Ram 3500 dually, Auto transmission, with Cummins diesel. I opened the panel beneath the steering column (for the first time) and found the following part hanging loose by its wires. I found where it “plugs in”, but since there are apparently several aftermarket add-ons on my truck (I have no idea what all has been done to the truck before I purchased it), I hesitate to reconnect the part for fear of damaging something else. Does anyone know what this part is for and should I reconnect it or just leave it hanging? I have recently been concerned that the truck seems to have periods where it takes a lot heavier foot on the throttle to get going; but have no idea if the loose part is in anyway related. Thanks in advance.

B06A31AF-24E9-47E7-9706-E419653F22C4.jpeg

FD537B9E-7EE8-4092-A7D1-582DC23F0C75.jpeg

A072EE0F-13D9-4CE1-93A9-C30FBD7BA121.jpeg

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Can you shift out of park without your foot on the brake? I think that's your Brake Transmission Interlock Solenoid.

OP
OP
RonG

RonG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 Diesel
You know... this truck has been quite difficult to get out of "Park" from the first time I got in it! I do think I still have to put my foot on the brake, though.

I plugged the thing back in and turned the ignition key on; heard a whinning/whirring noise for a couple of seconds; then everything seemed "normal". Still haven't driven it with the part plugged in though.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think that's your Brake Transmission Interlock Solenoid.

That is exactly what that is. Should be up on the shift cable near the shifter inside the column shroud.

OP
OP
RonG

RonG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 Diesel
I wonder: does this have anything to do with the fact that the keys will easily slide out of the ignition in ANY position?

So, I don't suppose reconnecting the BTIS should harm any aftermarket addons, huh? I found another post/thread explaining the adjustment proceedure for the BTIS, so I will follow that and reconnect.

Thanks, folks.

*Next, I have sooo many other questions about this truck. LOL

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wonder: does this have anything to do with the fact that the keys will easily slide out of the ignition in ANY position?

So, I don't suppose reconnecting the BTIS should harm any aftermarket addons, huh? I found another post/thread explaining the adjustment proceedure for the BTIS, so I will follow that and reconnect.

Thanks, folks.

*Next, I have sooo many other questions about this truck. LOL

Shouldn't, has nothing to do with the key, that's probably just a very worn cylinder. Test it before you reinstall it, that may be why it was removed. Otherwise no, shouldn't interfere with anything else.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk