What are some upgrades I can do to the 5.7 hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right now I have just a S&B cold air intake and was wondering what other upgrades can I do the 5.7. Since I have been working on the exterior look of my truck, I now want to focus on the engine. Any ideas would help!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Seeing as you have a 14,you still have one of the cheaper trucks to tune. Long tube headers and tune will make a noticable differance in power.Then if you still have any money left a ported 6.4 intake manifold.If the price of a set of ARH or Stainless Works headers sends you into sticker shock,guys are claiming the cheaper ebay headers are a pretty decent buy.
Helps if we know what kind of budget you have

Last edited:
OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seeing as you have a 14,you still have one of the cheaper trucks to tune. Long tube headers and tune will make a noticable differance in power.Then if you still have any money left a ported 6.4 intake manifold.If the price of a set of ARH or Stainless Works headers sends you into sticker shock,guys are claiming the cheaper ebay headers are a pretty decent buy.
Helps if we know what kind of budget you have
The question I have is with the 6 speed, is it even worth messing with the engine. I hear people most people have the 8 speed and the 6 causes issues. Also I usually will just buy 1 upgrade at a time so the things u recommend I should be able to afford.

Last edited:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its still very much a tunable platform. For about $750 you could get a tuner and a custom tune from Hemifever that would literally wake that truck up.
Simple bolt-on mods all add up to respectable gains. Dont waste money on anything until you get a tuner and tune except free up your exhaust.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The question I have is with the 6 speed, is it even worth messing with the engine. I hear people most people have the 8 speed and the 6 causes issues. Also I usually will just buy 1 upgrade at a time so the things u recommend I should be able to afford.
The 6 speed is your downfall,it doesn't have a great rep once you start putting power to it.If you learn to drive it properly,it has a better chance of staying together,that means pre-downshifting it when you're moving,before flooring the skinny pedal,so when you're passing someone on the highway,manually downshift it first before flooring it,and no wide open runs in high gear either.The 6 speed is okay from a dig,it just doesn't like rolling wide open downshifts
You might want to check out the (2) 8speed swap threads on here,as it should maybe be your first upgrade.Guys are reporting close to a 1/2 second gain with the 8 speed swap,which is about what a set of long tubes and good tune will gain you

If you do consider a transmission swap to the 8 speed ,"do not" buy a Diablo tuner,you'll want to spring for HP tuning instead.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6 speed is your downfall,it doesn't have a great rep once you start putting power to it.If you learn to drive it properly,it has a better chance of staying together,that means pre-downshifting it when you're moving,before flooring the skinny pedal,so when you're passing someone on the highway,manually downshift it first before flooring it,and no wide open runs in high gear either.The 6 speed is okay from a dig,it just doesn't like rolling wide open downshifts
You might want to check out the (2) 8speed swap threads on here,as it should maybe be your first upgrade.Guys are reporting close to a 1/2 second gain with the 8 speed swap,which is about what a set of long tubes and good tune will gain you

If you do consider a transmission swap to the 8 speed ,"do not" buy a Diablo tuner,you'll want to spring for HP tuning instead.
There is no way I’m going to be able to do a transmission swap by myself. That is way above my skill level tbh. I’m just stuck on what to do now.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just be careful on how you drive your 6 speed then,otherwise you might be getting familiar with transmission swaps,lol
Okay so I have a lot of questions. If I was to do the swap how much would it cost to go to a shop, because first I don’t have a lift and second I don’t know what the hell im doing. Also how the hell do they take out the column shifter and make it a dial? Another question, would I just be wasting money trying to make this truck a 8 speed instead of buying another truck in the long run? Just need some answers lol.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
There is no way I’m going to be able to do a transmission swap by myself. That is way above my skill level tbh. I’m just stuck on what to do now.
Then save up for for getting an 8 speed swap, done.
No sense waking up the truck, only to trash the 6 speed you have.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then save up for for getting an 8 speed swap, done.
No sense waking up the truck, only to trash the 6 speed you have.
Damn the 6 speed is really that bad? I should of done more research before buying a truck, at least I’m learning now lol.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
no, 6 speed is not that bad.
For what when where it is used.
BUT
if you are going to tweak the truck, odds are, you;re gonna hammer it, now and again.
That's when the Woes could occur.
8 Speed will take more abuse, before it says I'm Done you Dumb-asp.
And, get better MPG and just plain perform better.

But, y es, you can tweak teh truck and keep the 6 speed. Just be awre there are limits ot what you can do, how long it will take it and that when its done, you got a tranny swap coming, so do it now and be done with it.

instead of spending all your money on other stuff, possibly having a dead truck sitting around while you save up for the tranny to get done.
Truck wokrs, now, save up, now, and get the weak link beefed up.

Then tweak away.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no, 6 speed is not that bad.
For what when where it is used.
BUT
if you are going to tweak the truck, odds are, you;re gonna hammer it, now and again.
That's when the Woes could occur.
8 Speed will take more abuse, before it says I'm Done you Dumb-asp.
And, get better MPG and just plain perform better.

But, y es, you can tweak teh truck and keep the 6 speed. Just be awre there are limits ot what you can do, how long it will take it and that when its done, you got a tranny swap coming, so do it now and be done with it.

instead of spending all your money on other stuff, possibly having a dead truck sitting around while you save up for the tranny to get done.
Truck wokrs, now, save up, now, and get the weak link beefed up.

Then tweak away.
I will start saving for the swap, just need to know where I could get it done at?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I will start saving for the swap, just need to know where I could get it done at?
That you might have to dig up on your own,i'm in western Canada,so i have no idea of who you could get to do it in Wisconsin.Somebody on here might be able to point you to a shop though.
The other option as you stated is trade the truck on one that already has an 8 speed
3rd option is don't modify the truck,and just drive it

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That you might have to dig up on your own,i'm in western Canada,so i have no idea of who you could get to do it in Wisconsin.Somebody on here might be able to point you to a shop though.
The other option as you stated is trade the truck on one that already has an 8 speed
3rd option is don't modify the truck,and just drive it
Yeah I will have to figure it out somehow. I cant trade in the truck because I'm still financing it and it already has 154,000 miles. Also I cant do the third option because I am addicted to modifying it especially the exterior. If I have to stick with the 6 speed for right now, I have been looking at 6 inch lift with 37s, not sure on the rims and think that would really look nice and work better in the snow. Do u have any thoughts on that? Its a lot of stuff to think about especially since my 6 speed is still working and not sure if a shop around here would even know what to do. Anyways thanks for the help.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Theres other sharks lurking in the waters that may come up and bite you…154k mi you say? Pay keen attention to sounds your engine makes at idle…
Also lifting a 9yr old WI truck with 154k mi you will prob end up having to replace a good amount of stuff Im imagining. How bad is the rust?

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Theres other sharks lurking in the waters that may come up and bite you…154k mi you say? Pay keen attention to sounds your engine makes at idle…
Also lifting a 9yr old WI truck with 154k mi you will prob end up having to replace a good amount of stuff Im imagining. How bad is the rust?
Barely any rust underneath the truck and basically just little spots that is just surface rust around the tailgate and one fender which I’m repairing at the moment. Also few dents in the tailgate and back bumper. Dealer said they were suprised it had like no rust underneath considering it was a farm truck!

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
would recommend against a Lift, of any kind, unless you do it yourself, AND able to replace upper control arms, and other parts, yourself.
Lifting a truck changes the geometry of all other parts and will, not maybe, but will cause other issues to arise.

Unless you are a darn good front end man, have deep pockets, or plan on trading, often, then it is not a great idea to lift trucks.

154K miles, time to save up for an engine rebuild.
Not saying it will happen, even at 250K, but still wise to save up for one, specially since truck has a lien against it.

Most prudent Path, forward, would be to pay the truck off instead of spending money, which you will never get back, on modifying the truck.