What are the distinctive diferences between Gen.4 & 5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My dealer thinks I should drive a new one, I kind of like the new endgate, but I still love my loaded up 14 sport . It is way cheaper staying away from the dealership, and wife is happy, though she is starting to have trouble getting in and out.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The biggest change between the two is the crew cab design, it's 4" longer and the floor is flat in the Gen5. That goes with the interior and electrical/electronics redesign.
The other notable upgrade is the 6 lug wheels, It does add a strength factor but nothing super advantageous over the 5 lug with it being a half to truck.
I got screwed. Mine is only 3 inches longer.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The fifth gen have the E-Torque mild hybrid system. As far as I know, it CAN be optional on the Hemi, but don't think you can get the 3.6 with out it. The Gen 4.2 (Classics) don't get the E-Torque at all.

Also, as far as I know, MDS is still on the current Hemi. It's been on all truck Hemi's since around '08 (I think) with car Hemi's having it longer. At best MDS is good for around 10% mpg improvement, but only at constant speeds.

As far as engine management - I'm sure it's gotten incrementally better, but nothing outstanding.

Some of the changes in the interior are specific to the fifth gen, but most can be had in the Classics as well. As far as I've seen on the Ram ordering side, the larger screen/infotainment systems are available across the board.
MDS is in all 5.7 1500 but not 2500 but in 2014 the 6.4 in 2500 is MDS .. I think you are right about 08 .. my 09 5.7 had it

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I had a '17 1500 Laramie and traded for a '20 Laramie 1500.

1) Differences are of course the exterior styling and that is a matter of personal preference.

2) Interior design layout is different but not significantly so. It will still feel very similar.

3) Less road noise and cab noise at highway speed compared to my '17.

4) On-Center steering feel is better in my opinion.

5) A slight edge in handling on twisty mountain roads.

6) Tow and Payload increased (but again, that depends on trim and option. My '17 had an 8k tow rating. My '20 has an 11,800 lb tow rating.

7) This may sound minor but my wife swears the passenger side floor design near the transmission tunnel make her sitting position much more comfortable. The gen 4 trucks has a hump on the side of transmission tunnel that protrudes a bit into the floor space which caused her to sit a bit crooked. The Gen 5 truck doesn't have that.

8) The previously mentioned extra floor space, flat rear floor and reclining back seats.

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On the diesel Cummins side of the range, we generally do not term the latest version as Gen 5 but rather Gen 4.5 as the differences were insignificant and in the 5500, other than finish, no difference at all.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fifth gen have the E-Torque mild hybrid system. As far as I know, it CAN be optional on the Hemi, but don't think you can get the 3.6 with out it. The Gen 4.2 (Classics) don't get the E-Torque at all.

Also, as far as I know, MDS is still on the current Hemi. It's been on all truck Hemi's since around '08 (I think) with car Hemi's having it longer. At best MDS is good for around 10% mpg improvement, but only at constant speeds.

As far as engine management - I'm sure it's gotten incrementally better, but nothing outstanding.

Some of the changes in the interior are specific to the fifth gen, but most can be had in the Classics as well. As far as I've seen on the Ram ordering side, the larger screen/infotainment systems are available across the board.
I bought both of mine without etorque option. Did have to change out exhaust manifolds on my 19. 2020 is solid

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
^^^ There is no such thing as "5th gen classic". It's either 4th gen or 5th gen. "classic" means "4th gen >= 2019".

Didn't see this mentioned yet, but don't forget the frame shakers! Little electric doo-dads they added to the frame which shakes it to cancel out the shaking from the MDS.

I trully wish I was joking.

OP
OP
shagya

shagya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 L HEMI
I was joking, I love the 4th and 5th if they're the "Classic" Ram.
View attachment 498120
Whouuuw... this rear fender, very sexy! Custom made? Lowered like a hot rod. Speedy as Roadrunner.;)
There is actually one to purchese in Germany, although V6. Cheep but need some restauration.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The biggest change between the two is the crew cab design, it's 4" longer and the floor is flat in the Gen5. That goes with the interior and electrical/electronics redesign.
The other notable upgrade is the 6 lug wheels, It does add a strength factor but nothing super advantageous over the 5 lug with it being a half to truck.
When compared to my quad cab, it’s hard to believe it’s only 4 inches longer. I regret not getting the crew cab.

OP
OP
shagya

shagya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 L HEMI
^^^ There is no such thing as "5th gen classic". It's either 4th gen or 5th gen. "classic" means "4th gen >= 2019".

Didn't see this mentioned yet, but don't forget the frame shakers! Little electric doo-dads they added to the frame which shakes it to cancel out the shaking from the MDS.

I trully wish I was joking.
Shaky-shaky doo-dads:pepper:..sounds good :)..I'm learning your slang. English is not my mother tongue anyway.
Someone mentioned here, MDS save 10% fuel but only at constant speed. Useful on a highway.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When compared to my quad cab, it’s hard to believe it’s only 4 inches longer. I regret not getting the crew cab.
There's about a 9" difference between the Gen4 QuadCab and CrewCab, the Gen5 CrewCab is another 4" longer. So there about a 13" difference between your QC and the Gen5 CC.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There's about a 9" difference between the Gen4 QuadCab and CrewCab, the Gen5 CrewCab is another 4" longer. So there about a 13" difference between your QC and the Gen5 CC.
Thanks for that. most days my quad cab is perfect for me. the days I’m carting around grandkids in their car seats, not so much.

Mike56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4X4, 3.92
I think the bed is about 1 inch taller on the Gen5.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a '17 1500 Laramie and traded for a '20 Laramie 1500.

1) Differences are of course the exterior styling and that is a matter of personal preference.

2) Interior design layout is different but not significantly so. It will still feel very similar.

3) Less road noise and cab noise at highway speed compared to my '17.

4) On-Center steering feel is better in my opinion.

5) A slight edge in handling on twisty mountain roads.

6) Tow and Payload increased (but again, that depends on trim and option. My '17 had an 8k tow rating. My '20 has an 11,800 lb tow rating.

7) This may sound minor but my wife swears the passenger side floor design near the transmission tunnel make her sitting position much more comfortable. The gen 4 trucks has a hump on the side of transmission tunnel that protrudes a bit into the floor space which caused her to sit a bit crooked. The Gen 5 truck doesn't have that.

8) The previously mentioned extra floor space, flat rear floor and reclining back seats.
Maybe the fact that the 5th gen interior is about one inch wider may explain, or partially explain #7.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 74603 miles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93