What are these for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmyCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Hi there. I’m new and I want to figure out if I have the wiring harness for footwell lighting on my 2011 1500. It’s pretty base, but from what I understand a lot of them have the existing connectors. So… what are these? Lol is this what I’m looking for?

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpeg
    IMG_1191.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 95

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I watched this video recently and it seems to cover the installation decently.

I'd recommend fast-forwarding the non-ram section but he does a good job showing the existing wiring and mounting of light pods in the footwell on his Ram truck.

And, welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

OP
OP
A

AmyCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Thanks so much! I think I found a connector for the drivers side. Different color but same pin pattern. The passenger side is just… missing lol

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi there. I’m new and I want to figure out if I have the wiring harness for footwell lighting on my 2011 1500. It’s pretty base, but from what I understand a lot of them have the existing connectors. So… what are these? Lol is this what I’m looking for?
Those aren't them. The ones pictured are for the trailer brake I think...

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks so much! I think I found a connector for the drivers side. Different color but same pin pattern. The passenger side is just… missing lol

You're most welcome.

Did you locate the small connector that looked like the one in the video?

As previously mentioned, the connectors pictured in your first post, are not for the footwell lights.

The passenger side connector may be held up in one of the wiring bundles with a tie wrap or tape.

There are likely several other YouTube videos on this topic and one of the others may better direct you to the passenger side connector.

Try using the search utility on YouTube.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
rear footwell connector is under the rear seat

1695790995747.png

1695791042712.png
If you lift up the passenger side front & rear sill plates,
You should be able to follow the wires from the rear seat up to the front passenger right side kick plate ... then continue to follow those wires

OP
OP
A

AmyCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Thanks guys! I bought this truck used so, I suppose ol boy said: “no bells and whistles” when he bought it. There are no connectors at all under the back, nor are there any danglers bundled anywhere. I guess it’s square one option if I really want it lol. Not sure I care enough on this one at this point to reinvent the wheel, as I’m not amazing at electrical stuff. I may have to put this one on hold and find alternate dodge therapies.

radiack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello. I'm thinking the factory trailer brake controller. It mounts in that area near the steering column.

If it's two pin connector, use a volt meter or test light. See if it has voltage when door open/closed.

OP
OP
A

AmyCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I agree. One of them definitely looks like a connector for a trailer brake. I’ll test the other, because it is a two pin.
Thanks!

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The OEM trailer brake controller uses both those connectors . I just installed the OEM setup and those are the for the controller.
One should be the large 4 pin (with orange filler as seen in the pic) and the other a 10 pin.

OP
OP
A

AmyCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Lol OH!! Well in that case, I’m back to “I have no connections for lights”.
I think this truck was ordered one day without a lot of stuff…

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You sure there is no connector? I have an express that has the indent for the light pod or led square piece but I had to buy the pods and secure them to the carpet. I’m willing to bet the connector is still there if you pull down the top carpet. I’m actually putting LED in there after work today.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It could be a Tradesman, that is easy to spot, by the Front Bumper & Upper Valance
or
an Express, which has a cheaper Sports style

Tradesman, known by the front bumper, it is missing most of the inside goodies
1696492308813.png
Express has a Sportier look
nothing fancy inside
1696492449357.png

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could be a Tradesman, that is easy to spot, by the Front Bumper & Upper Valance
or
an Express, which has a cheaper Sports style

Tradesman, known by the front bumper, it is missing most of the inside goodies
View attachment 529585
Express has a Sportier look
nothing fancy inside
View attachment 529586
My express had the connections behind the upper covering. I just had to by the pods and secure a hole through for the stalk of the pod. I guess I could have gotten the leds as well, but going to try led bulbs first.

Mercruth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Funny, took a look at the strip on this interior lighting (footwell) and seemed a lot of work. I put nice blue footwell lights into my 2nd gen 2001 Ram with a couple of $12.00 light bars from Autozone (aluminum bars with leds about 6" long) screwed under the dash base with the existing screws on the bottom. Can't see the bars but nice foot lighting. hooked em up to the ashtray light, they come on with lights and dim too. took about 20 min and not hardly any disassembly. Yeah, I know the 2001 is a simpler dash set up and all but, don't forget the old school ways sometimes are the best ways. But, not for everyone I guess. It's all fun though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357