Which lift

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AHoug723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So im sure im probably beating a dead horse by asking this but ive been looking at all these different companies that make lifts for our trucks (i.e. rough country, zone, bds, superlift, pro comp, etc.) And the only ones i can find that has another option for the 6 inch lift besides a strut spacer is rough country with the n3 lifted struts and bds with the coil overs (which i just cant justify spending the extra $2000 for at this moment). But all this companies that are supposedly a better quality than rough country are pushing me to use the rough country system over theirs just because they only have the strut spacer. Can anyone please give me some better insight or alternative to steer me back away from rough country? Just some personal info that might help. My truck is a 2016 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi, daily driver, will do some offroading once its lifted but nothing crazy or extreme (just some trails and mud holes), and most of the hauling i do is yard waste and the occasional furniture/appliance.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just ordered my 6" superlift with bils from nick@gotexhaust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So im sure im probably beating a dead horse by asking this but ive been looking at all these different companies that make lifts for our trucks (i.e. rough country, zone, bds, superlift, pro comp, etc.) And the only ones i can find that has another option for the 6 inch lift besides a strut spacer is rough country with the n3 lifted struts and bds with the coil overs (which i just cant justify spending the extra $2000 for at this moment). But all this companies that are supposedly a better quality than rough country are pushing me to use the rough country system over theirs just because they only have the strut spacer. Can anyone please give me some better insight or alternative to steer me back away from rough country? Just some personal info that might help. My truck is a 2016 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi, daily driver, will do some offroading once its lifted but nothing crazy or extreme (just some trails and mud holes), and most of the hauling i do is yard waste and the occasional furniture/appliance.

What's wrong with the strut spacer, it provides no lift it really is just a spacer to make up the length.

FYI....rough country and procomp use spacers in the rear for the lift, whereas superlift, zone and bds include new coils.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AHoug723

AHoug723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's wrong with the strut spacer, it provides no lift it really is just a spacer to make up the length.
Ive read that some people have issues with the spacer causing more wear on their shocks and some even had them blow out. Maybe theres more to it than what they were getting at, I don't know. I would just feel more comfortable with the a lifted strut or a coil over than with the spacer. Im pretty much just looking for personal experiences with the strut spacers and offroading with them or putting a lot of miles on them.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ive read that some people have issues with the spacer causing more wear on their shocks and some even had them blow out. Maybe theres more to it than what they were getting at, I don't know. I would just feel more comfortable with the a lifted strut or a coil over than with the spacer. Im pretty much just looking for personal experiences with the strut spacers and offroading with them or putting a lot of miles on them.

The problem with strut spacers is when you don't have all the complimentary geometry correction that come with a proper lift and/or cheap leveling spacers that don't provide the right support for the strut top hat. I wouldn't be too concerned about the spacers from a company like BDS/Zone or even RC if you want a higher end strut like 6112's, but don't want to step all the way up to a custom length C/O. If you're just looking at like a 5100 level shock and don't want the preload adjustment then I would say just get the RC struts if you are really that opposed to spacers.

The lift and other suspension components, from my POV, are two separate problem solvers with all the more basic lifts giving you the ride height with geometry correction while suspension performance is handled through upgrading the actual shocks/struts/control arms/etc. The standard lifts should put you back on par with stock performance with the ride height handled and everything in it's correct place unless you add additional upgrades. For what I have in my suspension I could be lifted, but then I wouldn't have the performance I'm after off road without that additional spend on top of a lift. All this stuff costs money and it's about where the spend is most appropriate for your uses.

Reactions: JB1

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run an off road shop (we even make custom lift kits from scratch) here is my experience.
DISCLAIMER: Most of my business is on straight axle trucks, unless we install a companies kit. I fully understand the geometry of most IFS trucks (we built a long travel kit for a Ram Rebel). Right country is not a bad brand I personally ran them and beat the **** out of them (bent the Cs on a Dana 60) and it held up fine. Where RC does lack is shocks. In my experience they just aren't tuned right on the HD trucks. BDS is a good brand but overpriced imo and used more as a status symbol. What are your intentions with the truck, if you don't mind me asking?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That issue was only for people using spacers on non-lift kit trucks. These are actual spacers to make up the height difference so your strut can bolt up.

OP
OP
AHoug723

AHoug723

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What are your intentions with the truck, if you don't mind me asking?
Pretty much daily driving with some light to moderate offroading. Might upgrade to a better system to do more intense offroading once the truck is paid off i can afford it and have a second vehicle in case i break something. But for the time being, mostly on road and some trails

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much daily driving with some light to moderate offroading. Might upgrade to a better system to do more intense offroading once the truck is paid off i can afford it and have a second vehicle in case i break something. But for the time being, mostly on road and some trails
Why not do a body lift? That will even help you squeeze a bigger tire in there