What can cause Front end shake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Started getting a shake at certain highway speeds, over 65 s, goes away at 70, starts back around 73. I thought it might be the tires needing balanced, went ahead and had the wheels swapped to a set of big horn wheels that have been in the garage. Seemed to lessen it some, but still there. Any ideas? Feel like its the right front.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There's a few possibilities:

- You might have thrown a wheel weight but unlikey since you already switched tires and I assume had them balanced
- You could have a buildup of mud/snow inside your rim (i'd start there)
- One of your tires may have a blown belt or "flat spot" (also unlikely for the same reason)
- One of your engine accessories may have a blown pully bearing that causes harmonic resonance when it matches the wheel speed (also unlikely)
- You could have bad suspension components- ball joints. I check mine every time I jack up the truck.

I get this issue every couple of years and it's always dirt buildup on the inside of my rim, it doesn't take much. I wipe it down with a gloved hand or wire brush and it's usually problem solved. Hope this helps man

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CV shafts , intermediate shafts either side or both, driveshaft balance weight.... pretty much anything that spins

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had same issue with broken belt on my last truck, started at a point, then went away at a higher speed. Good luck

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The steel belt in your radial tire.
If a belt separates from the vulcanized rubber during use of the tire it will either cause the visible tread to either
A: create a slight to large bulge that is visible across the tread from a side view
B: a zig zag in the face of the tire tread with very little bulge, only visible by actually looking at the tread itself
C: a budge near the sidewall of the tread.

Any of these above stated belt failures can result in an imbalance feeling or steering wheel shake depending on the tire location.
Plus driving on it to long can result in a major blowout.

Any of this can happen from hitting a pot hole of from a tire being old or just a straight up factory defect during the manufacturing process

OP
OP
abouttobeglue

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hadnt seen any bulges, switched my shocks back to kyb monomax, helped some but its still there.