What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Got the Fosgates installed. Definitely clearer at high volume provided there's not a lot of bass going on.
One of these days I'll slap a sub in. :laughing1:

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got the Fosgates installed. Definitely clearer at high volume provided there's not a lot of bass going on.
One of these days I'll slap a sub in. :laughing1:

I still haven't gotten those JBLs but I recently found a second set of settings in my head unit. If I set the source to off and mess with the settings then I got a new setting category that asks for the speaker type. After choosing 6x9 my cheap kenwood 6x9s sound really good. Not as good as I'd like but better than before and the distortion that I had is gone now.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I still haven't gotten those JBLs but I recently found a second set of settings in my head unit. If I set the source to off and mess with the settings then I got a new setting category that asks for the speaker type. After choosing 6x9 my cheap kenwood 6x9s sound really good. Not as good as I'd like but better than before and the distortion that I had is gone now.
It probably changes the loudness settings. I know I turned mine down and it dropped the distortion on my 6x9s a bit.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Been playing with the SCT software a bit. Haven't done much of anything else. Really need to get new leaf springs. Rear end sags with no stock blocks and the new angle of the front driveshaft causes vibration above 65

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Loud. ******* loud. *****

lol.... yeah I only run at very loud... which is really just loud enough for me to drown out most of my exhaust sound.... which is ludicrously loud (I should paint my tips plaid.... that would be funny).

Been playing with the SCT software a bit. Haven't done much of anything else. Really need to get new leaf springs. Rear end sags with no stock blocks and the new angle of the front driveshaft causes vibration above 65

What ARE the stock ride height specks for 1500 Rams anyway? Seems like every time I search, I come up with 20 different answers... and it's not just package differences. I've seen about 5 different answers for what the stock ride heigh specs are for my '01 1500 ST QC 2wd.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
lol.... yeah I only run at very loud... which is really just loud enough for me to drown out most of my exhaust sound.... which is ludicrously loud (I should paint my tips plaid.... that would be funny).

What ARE the stock ride height specks for 1500 Rams anyway? Seems like every time I search, I come up with 20 different answers... and it's not just package differences. I've seen about 5 different answers for what the stock ride heigh specs are for my '01 1500 ST QC 2wd.
I don't know the height by tape measure. With the age of these trucks you're not going to get that anymore, too much wear and variance from the factory anyways. However, mine came factory with a 5/1 leaf pack and being 4x4 it has a 2" block factory. However i removed the rear blocks to reverse level the truck and reduce axle wrap but my springs are so tired they sag compared to even a 4/1 or 3/1 leaf pack. This truck has had 3k or so in the bed or 10k on the hitch more than a few times by the previous owner (my father lol)

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I don't know the height by tape measure. With the age of these trucks you're not going to get that anymore, too much wear and variance from the factory anyways. However, mine came factory with a 5/1 leaf pack and being 4x4 it has a 2" block factory. However i removed the rear blocks to reverse level the truck and reduce axle wrap but my springs are so tired they sag compared to even a 4/1 or 3/1 leaf pack. This truck has had 3k or so in the bed or 10k on the hitch more than a few times by the previous owner (my father lol)

5/1 what's that mean? Sorry, I don't think I've heard talk about leaf packs like that lol.

Yeah I kinda figured the factory ride height was going to be off the table. My Dad had pretty much the same truck as mine, but his was a '99 Laramie and it seemed like that truck was higher up than this, but I figured it was just suspension sag. Not worried about it really, but I do wanna kick the front up a few inches to level it out.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
5/1 what's that mean? Sorry, I don't think I've heard talk about leaf packs like that lol.

Yeah I kinda figured the factory ride height was going to be off the table. My Dad had pretty much the same truck as mine, but his was a '99 Laramie and it seemed like that truck was higher up than this, but I figured it was just suspension sag. Not worried about it really, but I do wanna kick the front up a few inches to level it out.
5 standard springs and 1 overload spring. Rockauto has an HD 6/1 spring pack that i really want

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It bumped the bass up and dropped the highs down some. It's not as ear piercing anymore.
Huh, interesting.

5 standard springs and 1 overload spring. Rockauto has an HD 6/1 spring pack that i really want
I don't think 5+1 is stock on these. Most I've ever seen is 4+1.
You really don't want a 6+1 lol You'll lift the back and ride like a 2500. A new 3+1 like mine would do more than enough for ya.

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
When putting led bulbs in the blinkers on my 98 dodge, do I need a resistor to stop hyper flashing or is that even a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
When putting led bulbs in the blinkers on my 98 dodge, do I need a resistor to stop hyper flashing or is that even a problem.

Yes though the preferred method is to do all 4 corners and use an LED specific flasher relay

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum

Yes though the preferred method is to do all 4 corners and use an LED specific flasher relay

This... although SOME LED bulbs have the resistor built in. Those are typically only on the more expensive ones though.

I would just do as suggested though. Change all four and use an LED-specific flasher.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Coil died on me Thursday night. After 2 days of misty weather that turned everything to ice followed by a day where the high was 9F, it just didn't like it. Crappy part was i couldn't get the hood open either. My latch is kinda messed up and i had to use a hook through the grille to pull it. Other than that i haven't done much.

I did pick up a set of billet main caps though and they arrived yesterday. Front is billet 2 bolt, 2 3 and 4 are billet splayed 4 bolt and the rear is going to be the stock oil pump cap because buying that one alone is $450 which is more than i purchased the rest for. They also came with the studs for factory bolt holes and the bolts for the splayed holes1546203290279491843105834326227.jpg

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
In the last 2 months I have had to replace my heater core and the starter yesterday. The belt is squealing and since the belt is new and it has a lot of tension I am betting the alternator is going out. The water pump has been replaced in the last 8 years. Could be the AC compressor but my intuition tells me the alternator. As soon as I can afford it I will be getting it rebuilt before it actually fails.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
In the last 2 months I have had to replace my heater core and the starter yesterday. The belt is squealing and since the belt is new and it has a lot of tension I am betting the alternator is going out. The water pump has been replaced in the last 8 years. Could be the AC compressor but my intuition tells me the alternator. As soon as I can afford it I will be getting it rebuilt before it actually fails.

Pull your belt off and check all the pulleys. Grab the fan and lift it up and down. If you have any movement the water pump is bad. Spin them all by hand too. If any are rough to spin there's your issue. Lastly watch the crank pulley with the belt on and running. Sometimes the balancer has issues and can wobble

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Stuck my club logo to the back window today....

20190117_134256.jpg

Florida Ram Truck Club for anyone wondering

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Yesterday, I took my truck and left it with a mechanic, a trusted Mopar guy and friend. This is only the 5th time in almost 18 years that it's out of my sight.

There's too many problems, it's too cold, and my joints won't take the cold well. Spending time has been replaced by spending money.

The driveway's empty with nothing but stains to remind me. :(

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yesterday, I took my truck and left it with a mechanic, a trusted Mopar guy and friend. This is only the 5th time in almost 18 years that it's out of my sight.

There's too many problems, it's too cold, and my joints won't take the cold well. Spending time has been replaced by spending money.

The driveway's empty with nothing but stains to remind me. :(
What's the old girl need fixing?

I have u bolts on the way and 2 new leaf springs in my living room. New 4/1 packs