What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grems4Ever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Glad to hear the Fass unit performs as advertised. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

Over the weekend I had to have a new idler arm, pitman arm, 1 tie rod end, new steering stabilizer, alignment, and new tires. Now I'm too broke to do anything else...

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Got home from Qatar. So far i haven't done much of anything but play with and take care of the new pupper the 'ol lady picked up. He likes going for rides but ive only taken him in the Ford so far. He doesn't like loud vehicles and the dodge is deafening lol. We'll work up to it.

I did however jump start the Dodge because the battery was completely drained. I'd also ordered the trans output shaft seal because it's been a leaker for awhile now and started doing it yesterday but apparently i ordered the wrong one. So hopefully the correct seal is arriving Tuesday and i can finish it then.

Couple other things ive ordered include Cerakote and a junkyard kegger. I know, I've been very vocal about "kegger bad, m1 good" and all that but it was $50 and it's to get a little practice with porting and die grinder control. I'd rather mess up on a junkyard kegger than my 2bbl which is ultimately what I'll be sticking with for my build. If i do well on the keg i may play around with runner length and swap it back on until i pull the engine so i can prep the 2bbl and still play around

nathantc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 sxt 120
Engine
3.7 V6
well over this weekend i did a full dually swap, i already had 1 ton springs, overloads, and air bags, so i swapped the entire rear axle out add modified oem spacers to the front and put 6 new tires on.

used an old oxygen bottle that was to out dated to refill for my torch as a very large air tank. upgraded from my viair 480 and 2 gallon tank to the bigger oxygen tank and two viair 485 gen 2 compressors. added a 50 foot hose reel and now have a large capacity 200 psi air system for dealing with customers trailer tires (air system is located where the oem fuel tank use to be)

went from a 4.10 gear and 33" tires down to 30" tires and a 3.55 gear... i honestly am glad to be away from that 4.10 ratio.. sounds great in theory but honestly sucked at everything besideds intown towing.

only a couple parts away from doing my 47re to spicer 3053a swap. will post more about that when its done.

old dana 80 single wheel axle with 4.10 ratio and 9 2017 18" wheels and tires are now for sale here in lumberton Tx. if anyone local wants to do a srw swap.

20190915_123912.jpg

20191011_083836.jpg

20191013_144112.jpg

20191012_134538.jpg

20191013_153201.jpg

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Spent the last week and a half trying to get ahold of the machine shop that has had my engine build. Couldn't get ahold of em and then today i called the locally owned parts store they're supposed to be partnered with.

Well, it turns out the machine shop is no longer open. They've fired the machinist. Don't know the story but i guess it's personal issues and not a work quality thing. Apparently he was let go from the big very trusted shop in town that is backed up for anywhere from several months to a year at a time because EVERYBODY goes there. They weren't surprised when i talked to them. They did say he does good work but again, personal issues.
So i ended up paying the owning parts store $700 for what has been done so far, WHICH IS:
Cylinders bored and honed
4 bolt main conversion
Main line hone
Balancing and conversion from external to internal balance
Heads disassembled
Valve job

I still need the block decked, new valves and heads reassembled. But now i need to find another shop unfortunately

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
After almost 12 years of meritorious service, I retired my old throttle body.

I installed one of Rolf Sheffley's units. I used a new MAP sensor and TPS

The difference is night and day.

We will know on November 2nd, if all the mad mod money was worth it.

000_0028.JPG

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
well over this weekend i did a full dually swap, i already had 1 ton springs, overloads, and air bags, so i swapped the entire rear axle out add modified oem spacers to the front and put 6 new tires on.

used an old oxygen bottle that was to out dated to refill for my torch as a very large air tank. upgraded from my viair 480 and 2 gallon tank to the bigger oxygen tank and two viair 485 gen 2 compressors. added a 50 foot hose reel and now have a large capacity 200 psi air system for dealing with customers trailer tires (air system is located where the oem fuel tank use to be)

went from a 4.10 gear and 33" tires down to 30" tires and a 3.55 gear... i honestly am glad to be away from that 4.10 ratio.. sounds great in theory but honestly sucked at everything besideds intown towing.

only a couple parts away from doing my 47re to spicer 3053a swap. will post more about that when its done.

old dana 80 single wheel axle with 4.10 ratio and 9 2017 18" wheels and tires are now for sale here in lumberton Tx. if anyone local wants to do a srw swap.

That is a really nice setup. I have a 5 gallon air tank and horns with air hookup, it works wonders! Great job on the dually conversion too!

nathantc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 sxt 120
Engine
3.7 V6
That is a really nice setup. I have a 5 gallon air tank and horns with air hookup, it works wonders! Great job on the dually conversion too!

thanks, i love having 200 psi and about 15 gallons of air. took 3, 11r22.5 tires from 60lbs to 120lbs quicker than my shop compressor can do... after 80psi into the tire the dual 485s can match the flow of inflation so the tank never really got below 50psi.. its very very quick and the two of them can take the tank from 100psi to 200psi in less than 2 min, thats about 15 gallon tank. its leaps and bounds better than the single 480 i upgraded from.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
4060673ad981873bfe0da651440ee180.jpg

Great hanging out here and seeing the awesome gen 2’s. My gen 2 has been a great truck 1997, 316k miles, 5.9l RWD. I’ve just started “fixing” up- bought a dash, bezel, new headlamps. Plan in new header, carpet and window tint...but “ all of a sudden” (after 22 years LOL!) things are falling apart!
New fuel pump , transmission service. Then I almost broke down in the freeway- alternator.
Got a new alternator and now I’m trying to chase down a high(ish) pitched whine that is tied to driving (no whine at idle or neutral). And more recent (yesterday) something that sounds like a bearing...
Going into the shop Friday for diagnosis.
All the while dealing with (well meaning) friends that say “ why don’t you just get a new truck?”
Like I said- nice seeing the great looking gen 2’s here. Thanks for listening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Skimming all the posts... maybe I’m getting in over my head.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Skimming all the posts... maybe I’m getting in over my head.

4060673ad981873bfe0da651440ee180.jpg

Great hanging out here and seeing the awesome gen 2’s. My gen 2 has been a great truck 1997, 316k miles, 5.9l RWD. I’ve just started “fixing” up- bought a dash, bezel, new headlamps. Plan in new header, carpet and window tint...but “ all of a sudden” (after 22 years LOL!) things are falling apart!
New fuel pump , transmission service. Then I almost broke down in the freeway- alternator.
Got a new alternator and now I’m trying to chase down a high(ish) pitched whine that is tied to driving (no whine at idle or neutral). And more recent (yesterday) something that sounds like a bearing...
Going into the shop Friday for diagnosis.
All the while dealing with (well meaning) friends that say “ why don’t you just get a new truck?”
Like I said- nice seeing the great looking gen 2’s here. Thanks for listening!

Why do you say you're getting in over your head? For the most part, these trucks are pretty simple/old school yet. Your squeal for example, take your belt off. Makes it easy to check your pulleys. Can spin them all by hand. If you can grab the fan and, without being super rough with it, can wiggle the pulley it's mounted to you have a bad water pump. Easiest way to diagnose that. The tensioner pulley is replaceable without doing the tensioner. Idler is another common one.

Taking the belt off is just a 15mm socket and a breaker bar or long ratchet and rotate tensioner towards driverside.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Why do you say you're getting in over your head? For the most part, these trucks are pretty simple/old school yet. Your squeal for example, take your belt off. Makes it easy to check your pulleys. Can spin them all by hand. If you can grab the fan and, without being super rough with it, can wiggle the pulley it's mounted to you have a bad water pump. Easiest way to diagnose that. The tensioner pulley is replaceable without doing the tensioner. Idler is another common one.

Taking the belt off is just a 15mm socket and a breaker bar or long ratchet and rotate tensioner towards driverside.

Hey thanks for the encouraging words! I guess I just got myself feeling discouraged because it seems like it’s been one thing after another lately...And most of my mechanic knowledge is from rebuilding/refurbing a Snapper RER. And watching tube videos![emoji38]
I drove my truck today and it was fine.
I appreciate the instructions re: finding the squeaking!

nathantc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 sxt 120
Engine
3.7 V6
[QUOTE="finding the squeaking[/QUOTE]

usually the hood latch is the hard one to find. lol

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Any recommendations on a good aftermarket coil? I will be putting an MSD system in and I want to put a good coil in while I am doing it. I have read that both the MSD and ACCEL are both junk and fail within a year. I was hoping for higher output from stock form factor but I might just have to settle for premium O.E.M.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Unless you have boost or nitrous systems which will blow the spark out, there's really no benefit to an msd box. An oem coil will handle just about any build shy of boost or a lot of nitrous

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Unless you have boost or nitrous systems which will blow the spark out, there's really no benefit to an msd box. An oem coil will handle just about any build shy of boost or a lot of nitrous

I will be doing various things over time. I have a cold air intake. I am getting a higher flow throttle body from Hughes engines. They machine a stock TB to flow 1007 CFM. Higher flow muffler and bigger exhaust tubing. At some point I will get some Gibson headers, a Hughes Air Intake, and a programmer. At some point I will get a custom electric fan setup. This gutless wonder will get better. I am doing a trutrac in the rear, throttle body, and MSD box fairly soon.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I will be doing various things over time. I ha e a cold air I take. I am getting a higher flow throttle body from Hughes engines. They machine a stock TB to flow 1007 CFM. Higher flow muffler and bigger exhaust tubing. At some point I will get some Gibson headers, a Hughes Air Intake, and a programmer. At some point I will get a custom electric fan setup. This gutless wonder will get better. I am doing a trutrac in the rear, throttle body, and MSD box fairly soon.

Read my sig, i have zero need for an MSD box. My new block getting finished up is a semi-forged 10.2:1 365 and only reason it'll need the MSD is it's getting boost. Seriously, it's wasted money for zero benefit on anything less.

Also the Hughes throttlebody is ********. It's still a stock bore. Go through Hipotek or FRPTuning for the throttlebody

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Read my sig, i have zero need for an MSD box. My new block getting finished up is a semi-forged 10.2:1 365 and only reason it'll need the MSD is it's getting boost. Seriously, it's wasted money for zero benefit on anything less.

Also the Hughes throttlebody is ********. It's still a stock bore. Go through Hipotek or FRPTuning for the throttlebody

The CFM is easily measured. The bore doesn’t necessarily have to be bigger if it is machined properly to be more efficient. Bigger bore TBs report only tiny gains.

Everyone I have have read that has put an MSD box on has said it made a huge difference. It isnt being done as a stand-alone either.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The CFM is easily measured. The bore doesn’t necessarily have to be bigger if it is machined properly to be more efficient. Bigger bore TBs report only tiny gains.

Everyone I have have read that has put an MSD box on has said it made a huge difference. It isnt being done as a stand-alone either.

Yeah in theory it COULD but in reality it doesn't. Yeah bigger bore throttlebodies report small gains, those with the Hughes have yet to report any gains.

You're making mountains out of bs molehills. If you have any value for your money, it's better spent elsewhere

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Yeah in theory it COULD but in reality it doesn't. Yeah bigger bore throttlebodies report small gains, those with the Hughes have yet to report any gains.

You're making mountains out of bs molehills. If you have any value for your money, it's better spent elsewhere

What about Fastman TB. Any decent air intakes that won’t make me lose all my low end power? I don’t race my truck and spend very little time in high rpms so I need to maintain low end power.