What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
My '04 has a dumb key and a keyless entry fob if that helps.
Yeah thats how I was hoping the later 3rd gens would be, but it looks like starting in '06 the SKIM module and keyless entry always came together, I guess one of the SKREEM modules is also the RF receiver for the keyfob? Sounds overly complicated to me but thats what I keep reading so I guess its probably true

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Its possible that your truck came with the 265/70/17's when it rolled down the assembly line even though it is a factory off-road package. Anything is always possible. By looking at the wheels on your truck you have the 17" off-road wheels from what I can see in the pic.

All of the info that I posted in my last post came from me doing the math for each tire size. I have never trusted a manufacturers specs because there are so many different sizes out there. If I do the math on each one I know what the baseline size should be.

As for talking to someone at Dodge, lucky for you, that's ME. Haha. I am a 21 year dealership veteran.
Ahhh very cool. 21 years various positions? Mechanic? I'm going to say the truck came with the 275/70/17 because that's what the original spare tire is still to this day mounted under the truck, spare. Stupid me should have used that tire years ago & just bought 3 matching. But at 17 years old, its junk, from what I've read. But like you said, anything is possible. I need tires like yesterday. So I'm in search of. Thinking about buying online. I've got a bud that works at a shop. He'll mount & balance them for me as long as I can leave truck for a day. Again thanks for all your help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ahhh very cool. 21 years various positions? Mechanic? I'm going to say the truck came with the 275/70/17 because that's what the original spare tire is still to this day mounted under the truck, spare. Stupid me should have used that tire years ago & just bought 3 matching. But at 17 years old, its junk, from what I've read. But like you said, anything is possible. I need tires like yesterday. So I'm in search of. Thinking about buying online. I've got a bud that works at a shop. He'll mount & balance them for me as long as I can leave truck for a day. Again thanks for all your help.

No worries man. I am a mechanic with Chrysler and have been for 21 years now.

You are correct that the truck more than likely came with the 275/70/17's as it is a factory off-road package. That would also explain why your speedometer has been incorrect. With the shorter 265's on the ground your speedo will be fast by probably 2mph I'm guessing.

When it comes to buying tires online, make sure you verify the sellers shipping cost. I hate seeing good deals on tires only to have to spend $100+ to have them shipped by truck freight.

I do all of my tire shopping at Kauffman Tire's warehouse in Desoto, TX or on Craigslist here in Texas. I have a few local people that I buy take-offs from for all of my vehicles.

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Just got 4 new tires delivered. General Grabber atx. Also last week I put on 2 rotors (front) & an outer tie rod end.

Question posed to everyone, white letters mounted in or out?

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I got the girl registered and the title switched over. Then got in the truck and proceeded to flick the climate controls until the AC kicked on. I know it's a lose connection somewhere because the lights by the 2 knobs don't seem to work until I give it a good flick.

Will probably year it apart sometime this weekend and look for loose connections or solder points. I'm thinking about getting off my lazy butt and fixing the Tach too.

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No worries man. I am a mechanic with Chrysler and have been for 21 years now.

You are correct that the truck more than likely came with the 275/70/17's as it is a factory off-road package. That would also explain why your speedometer has been incorrect. With the shorter 265's on the ground your speedo will be fast by probably 2mph I'm guessing.

When it comes to buying tires online, make sure you verify the sellers shipping cost. I hate seeing good deals on tires only to have to spend $100+ to have them shipped by truck freight.

I do all of my tire shopping at Kauffman Tire's warehouse in Desoto, TX or on Craigslist here in Texas. I have a few local people that I buy take-offs from for all of my vehicles.

That's really up to the individual. I like RWL out.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Pull the HVAC control head apart and see if something has come loose. Glad you are getting things going.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm a day late on this but I fixed the Tach by reflowing the solder on those two chips, shimmed the circuit board, and figured out why the HVAC system is acting up.

Just a heads up here comes a small book.

I pulled the controls out and messed with them. Everything worked flawlessly. So I took the thing apart again as best I could and didnt see any board damage. I can't remove the board because of the cable that runs around the board to the board underneath it. So I put it all back together. I noticed the power connector had a loose fit in. The plug on the controls so I fixed that by closing the gap in those connections. Upon reinstalling the cables I noticed the smaller connector that runs to the various controls was loose. Not the harness side... The plug inside the controls is loose. It connects to the part of the controls that I can't get to. Soooooooo...... That explains why it works out of the dash but not in the dash. The harness bends that connection just far enough away from the board that if I flick it the circuit makes contact.

I've already priced one on amazon just in case I can't find one at the local bonryarb. With it being dual zone I don't suspect I'll have too much lick since they're 200+ for an after market one.

Krawfish

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put a new grill on today. Slowly getting rid of all that nasty chrome. Debating on getting those heavy duty off-road style front and rear bumpers or just paint matching them.

Snapchat-1973102557.jpg

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I've got wires ran to the passenger door, in the next couple of days I'll put the new door wire harnesses in the doors and try running the wires on the drivers side to wherever they need to go. I picked up a passenger door panel from a local salvage for 25 bucks (they didn't have a drivers side lol). Its faded and will take some work but I figure I could experiment with some paint and see if I can get it looking decent again. If I can't get it to looking good I can hopefully find another one somewhere else

Krawfish

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't been getting my 4x4 light when I shift into 4hi or 4lo even though I can tell it's engaged so did a little research. Came down to the transfer case position sensor after looking through some older threads. Picked one up from AutoZone for $40, popped it in, then went to test it only to find my shift lever completely slack. First thought was, "oh no, what did I do" lol. Got back underneath and saw my shift linkage laying on the ground. Wow, this part was not thought out well, held in by only rubber grommets. Gonna make a more permanent repair than oem after I pick some parts up in the next few days. She's a little crusty too.

20191008_182951.jpg

20191008_183112.jpg

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Got 4 tires mounted & put on today. Also cranked spare tire down & had my buddy take off the 16 year old spare & mount on the best out of the 4 old tires. I definitely went with 265/70R17's. So the spare that was on it was a 275/70R17, so now at least the spare is a matching size.

I tell ya, its super nice to have a friend that's a mechanic. He saved me tons. I bought the tires from tirerack.com, & my friend mounted, balanced, new stems & put them on. Also found I needed a outer tie rod end & he aligned it for free. I bought outer tie rod & the tires. Good deal. And I told him to put the tires in the bed & I'd take care of them at the dump. He got rid of them. Well, nothing is really free, cause I'll be buying him a couple 30 packs anyway.

The old 03 rides like a dream.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat