What do you lose when RAM connect on new truck expires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
let’s give a quick shout out to RAM for trying to add value added software features out of the vehicle even if it isn’t essential. Thank you for not ripping people off like BMW for subscription based heated seats and other ethically bankrupt schemes out there to create going revenue streams. Keep it morally defensible and you will have loyal customers. Some of whom may even subscribe. On my second 1500 and looking forward to hoping I can afford the REV. Day 1 reservation holder here. No subscriptions to use hardware that’s in the truck! @RamCares
All vehicles are eventually going to be doing subscription based features. Ram is starting this year for model year 2025 1500 with subscription based active driver assist, with 3 year free trial.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to look again at BMW. That is not what they do. In fact, BMW provides more for longer without a subscription than Ram. Ram and GM are the worst I have experienced for gouging for basic things that other manufacturers provide longer for free.

Wasn't Toyota one of the first manufacturers in North America to roll out this subscription-based options BS?

Sol-Invictus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I have a 2023 tradesman and have no use for it at all. I use my phone for navigation, I set it in the slot on the top of the dash, i dont have android auto or apple car play. I run my XM app through my audio cord to the truck. I have had and paid for that stuff before but it is pointless if you have your phone with you. Most apps wont work when you are moving and my phone has voice commands. It seems very redundant and silly to me. I added remote start from a local installer for $199. So my fob does the remote start with pressing lock 3xs.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for the replies. It doesn’t sound like there’s really anything associated with it that I personally use.

Now I just have to decide if I want to renew Sirius. I dumped them finally last year after their usual tripling of rates and attack on my credit card. I refused to resubscribe unless they would take a check. They wouldn’t and I didn’t. I was sick of that annual call in to beg a decent rate. Might consider just the base music package if they will do a 2 yr term.
I just got a mailer yesterday from Sirius for a 2 year deal for $5.00 month plus tax, I dropped them back in September after my last 2 year deal at $5.00 month ended...

wvfarrier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got a mailer yesterday from Sirius for a 2 year deal for $5.00 month plus tax, I dropped them back in September after my last 2 year deal at $5.00 month ended...
I got the same deal and dropped them as soon as it was to expire. I almost never used it

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Thanks for the replies. It doesn’t sound like there’s really anything associated with it that I personally use.

Now I just have to decide if I want to renew Sirius. I dumped them finally last year after their usual tripling of rates and attack on my credit card. I refused to resubscribe unless they would take a check. They wouldn’t and I didn’t. I was sick of that annual call in to beg a decent rate. Might consider just the base music package if they will do a 2 yr term.
wow i got a year of Sirius for $80 including fees and 12% tax and payed by cheque in canada

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I first got Sirius XM back around 2005, but it was not called that then.
I bought 3 years, because they said that they had dropped the Lifetime Plan. I talked to a Lady in New York back then. 3 years was something like 120.
When that expired, they changed to Out Sourcing & you called a call center in India. They went to the 1 year plan.
I listened to who ever i talked to for a while & when they could not properly answer questions, because they have a pamphlet with questions & answers in it.
So after listening to them slaughter the English Language, i requested that they connect me to someone in New York, then i got my questions answered .

Now i no longer drive longer distances, like going cross country.
So i can listen to my favorite FM Station, without having to find one further away.

I just received a notice that reads 2 years for a small monthly payment.
I will not get it, because Sirius XM cuts out when ever i pass close to 5G Tower, in my town, there are 4 towers in a 5 block area & then if i turn down the Main Street, there is the Court House, the County Jail, A new hotel, all with in a 3 block area. So during 1 Three minute song, you can't hear most of it.
I asked about them correcting it & they deny that is happening.

Oct 2, 2015 — T-Mobile US is under fire from satellite radio firm Sirius XM over what Sirius claims is interference caused by certain T-Mobile cell towers ...

The Federal Communications Commission rejected a complaint by SiriusXM claiming T-Mobile US was responsible for solving interference issues near its towers. As part of the ruling, the FCC gave T-Mobile US permission to sell some of its spectrum to Verizon Wireless.

SiriusXM previously asked the FCC not to grant anymore spectrum licenses because it would make interference issues worse. The FCC ruled in favor of the spectrum swap after a review found there was insufficient evidence to back SiriusXM’s claims. T-Mobile US has claimed all along it is using its spectrum in accordance with current regulations and it is the satellite radio provider’s responsibility to redesign its radios to fix the interference problems.

How can they claim that it does not happen ?

apparently, Chevy Volt owners were told that they could get ..
. It mentions installation of a SXM filter, part number 84601829.

It is supposed to help with the issue

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Isn't it Cadillac that decided to drop CarPlay and Android Auto for their own proprietary system? If it is true, that is pretty bold.

You guys are right about SiriusXM, their fees are ridiculous. I hold out for two years at $5 a month and have a calendar event set up to remind me to renew and so far that has been working. Their problem is the subscription is tied to a radio ID which is fixed in the vehicle. Depending on your time in the vehicle determines the service value to you.

Amazingly, SiriusXM continues to bombard my mailbox with subscription offers for the radio I already have subscribed. You would think they could figure that out and save a bit of funds but not them.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Isn't it Cadillac that decided to drop CarPlay and Android Auto for their own proprietary system? If it is true, that is pretty bold.

You guys are right about SiriusXM, their fees are ridiculous. I hold out for two years at $5 a month and have a calendar event set up to remind me to renew and so far that has been working. Their problem is the subscription is tied to a radio ID which is fixed in the vehicle. Depending on your time in the vehicle determines the service value to you.

Amazingly, SiriusXM continues to bombard my mailbox with subscription offers for the radio I already have subscribed. You would think they could figure that out and save a bit of funds but not them.
All of Chevrolet is dropping CP and AA. Nothing but a cash grab so GM can suck your money on all kinds of things one can do for free with a connected phone. Pay-for features, maps, music, etc. I personally think it is a bad move for GM, my cousin has had nothing but GMs all his life and used on branded credit card to get points for each purchase. He dropped card and is switching to Ram next year.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not just Cadillac, all of GM is supposed to drop both saying it's a safety concern but their proprietary system will have built in apps like Google Maps, Spotify...wait isn't that already in AndroidAuto/CarPlay?
Ram hasn't chimes in but Ford has stated full steam ahead supporting both AA/CP.

The real reason for GM dropping AA/CP is to at get their hands on the data firsthand, both systems are anonymous data streams. Has nothing to do with safety.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The GM Infotainment guy is so full of BS. I like the 12/12 update to the story. Me thinks Apple and Google lawyers may have had a chat with GM lawyers. Maybe the Babbit fellow got the Bobbet treatment from GM's legal department.

Update 12/12:
After this story was published, GM contacted us with the following statement:

"We wanted to reach out to clarify that comments about GM's position on phone projection were misrepresented and to reinforce our valued partnerships with Apple and Google and each company's commitment to driver safety. GM's embedded infotainment strategy is driven by the benefits of having a system that allows for greater integration with the larger GM ecosystem and vehicles."

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
For the Siriusxm subscription and to keep the discounted rate, I use their messaging system (like texting) and simply write I'm canceling unless I keep the current discounted rate. Works everytime with no language barrier or fuss. I do it during the last week of the contract Monday-Friday.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not just Cadillac, all of GM is supposed to drop both saying it's a safety concern but their proprietary system will have built in apps like Google Maps, Spotify...wait isn't that already in AndroidAuto/CarPlay?
Ram hasn't chimes in but Ford has stated full steam ahead supporting both AA/CP.

The real reason for GM dropping AA/CP is to at get their hands on the data firsthand, both systems are anonymous data streams. Has nothing to do with safety.
I would now not have a vehicle w/o Apple/Android capable systems. GM cutting off their nose to spite their face. MY only other must have in a vehicle is: LED exterior lighting, and TT controls ref towing. I can play with any other option. FWIW, I will not buy anything where I have to pay a subscription to have something that should already be there. But this is not new: BMW, MB, going there. Toyota working on it, and not be long till US manufacturers jump on the money making bandwagon, IMHO.

I do pay for Sirius for access on truck, AND all my electronic devices, so I pay a bit more than the $5 monthly plans, but that is my preference.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I always thought it was Tesla that really started it. But I guess GM would technically be first with On-Star ?
I had little Chevy car, remote start anywhere , find my car etc. were all free for 5 years.

skates15

Reaction score
My Hyundai lease included all of this for 3 years with exception of Sirius, I think that was free for 2 years, but I never keep that anyway (I do miss the Road Dog trucker channel).

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram is obviously creating a lot of confusion. The Ram info posted by Jimmy a few pages back say 3 months of TomTom navigation.

I doubt that means your nav will stop working in 3 months. I have a 2016 nav that still works with its old maps. As others have said, it probably means that in new trucks your map updates end in 3 months. If so, it's no big deal. I called uconnect and if you want a map update they are $149. I won't be buying one.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
when mine ran out I only lost the monthly updates and being able to use my phone for remote starting. nav, remote start/unlock, and everything else works as should.

Dave M S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2017 RAM , since the 3G is gone,Chrysler gave the option of the dongle that plugs into the OBD port underneath the steering column. I pay 9.99 a month for the ability to do the stuff I use to with uconnect. The only issue Im having is that the new app that I have to use for uconnect doesnt work most of the time. I can locate my truck on the app, but thats about it, remote lock and unlock and remote start rarely work on the app. I have deleted and reloaded the app but still no luck with it, I can use my key fob, thats work fine.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Read this on Auto Blog. Sound like a load of you-know-what from GM.

Ralph Mauro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never paid for U Connect my remote start works fine. I believe the remote start you are paying for is to have them start it the same way they would remote unlock your doors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357