What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Its been a minute, so I have a pretty long list of replacements and upgrades. I rebuilt my headlights and went with an addressable LED (or Flow Series as some of these companies call them) setup, and am loving the compliments. I used BlueGhozt controllers which are really great, but I may opt to use a Raspberry PI or Audrino mini-computer to code some of my own shows and designs in. Trying to crack down on suspension squeaks, I've replaced the sway bar bushings with a couple of broken bolts, end links, and threw on some Bilstein shocks on the rear. Also replaced a lot of tailgate hardware and added a Deezee tailgate assist. Awhile back I made a fuse box out of an old amplifier enclosure so I could have at least somewhat neat looking and safer wiring.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did engine and transmission mounts. Ho-boy, what a pain in the *** that was. The front-passenger's side one was a real PITA, had to phone a friend to get it back together today. He's a former FCA tech. I asked "What's the lifetime on engine mounts?" His answer: "Usually the life of the engine". Funny, I did a head swap just last year.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been a minute since I've been active. Was out of a truck for a while. But, after a long hiatus, I bought a new to me 2008 1500 yesterday. I'll take some nice pics once it's cleaned up. It's an SLT, Patriots Blue, 3.92 from factory, 6 seater, etc etc.

Looking forward to be back, y'all!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20211111_212607.jpg

Got my weekend project in the mail. Get a small leak during the night when it's cold around my WP. Just bought it new to me, figured I'd throw a few new parts on it for some piece of mind.

Still need to get new plugs and a pcv valve, and probably an egr valve once that code pops again lol.

Need to get a new muffler or a tuner to shut off MDS. The short body muffler on there now drives me nuts in 4cyl mode.

I'll get a new build thread going for the new truck, and probably some videos on YouTube because why not haha.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh and I bought a $30 backup camera to go with my pioneer stereo. Hopefully that works lol.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did the water pump install go? Mine was pretty uneventful, but I did have my FIL to help hold lights and turn bolts. Take your time and follow the torque procedure. A little bit of 3M bond doesn't hurt, too.

View attachment 476923

Got my weekend project in the mail. Get a small leak during the night when it's cold around my WP. Just bought it new to me, figured I'd throw a few new parts on it for some piece of mind.

Still need to get new plugs and a pcv valve, and probably an egr valve once that code pops again lol.

Need to get a new muffler or a tuner to shut off MDS. The short body muffler on there now drives me nuts in 4cyl mode.

I'll get a new build thread going for the new truck, and probably some videos on YouTube because why not haha.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did the water pump install go? Mine was pretty uneventful, but I did have my FIL to help hold lights and turn bolts. Take your time and follow the torque procedure. A little bit of 3M bond doesn't hurt, too.

Wasn't terrible. Pump was stuck on a little. Took longer than I wanted it to but in the end its done lol. As long as there's no leaks under it tomorrow morning, I'll be happy.

Had a code pop for the EGR while I was burping the system, so I just disconnected the battery to clear it and I'll ignore it for a while lol...

Anyone know if I can delete the EGR with a tuner? I know I'll need the block off plate and a plug for the intake, but I want that crap gone, and MDS off. Wasn't sure if that was something a canned tuner could do (the egr that is). I had a superchips for my old 06 rcsb to get rid of mds and have a little fun with the canned tunes, but I don't remember if egr delete was an option on it

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll probably monkey around with the backup camera during the week too

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the backup camera, I think you can tap into the reverse lights circuit as a signal.

For the EGR delete, you'd need a tuning shop to solve that problem. Apparently the whole air/fuel/ignition mapping is very much dependent on that hot exhaust air piping into the intake. You could do the mechanical work to block it all off, then find a tuning shop to to that part. In fact, might be easier to install a different exhaust that blocks the EGR port already.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the backup camera, I think you can tap into the reverse lights circuit as a signal.

For the EGR delete, you'd need a tuning shop to solve that problem. Apparently the whole air/fuel/ignition mapping is very much dependent on that hot exhaust air piping into the intake. You could do the mechanical work to block it all off, then find a tuning shop to to that part. In fact, might be easier to install a different exhaust that blocks the EGR port already.
Well the egr valve is hooked to the side of the cylinder head. They make a block off plate for that and a plug for the intake side, I just wasn't sure if I would need a custom tune or if a canned tune would work. Either way MDS has to go because my exhaust is driving me nuts with the aftermarket muffler the previous owner installed.

Thanks for the input!

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did I work on today? Exhaust gasket for the passenger side and removed the "Bully" side steps. They were just so low quality, plastic attachment points and rattled like crazy over small bumps.

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Well today I had to pull over & call for a tow truck. Yesterday I changed my oil like I've done since 05. Was -6° this morning when I drove to work. All good. Go to leave, driving along & oil gauge started to drop to nothing. Check gauges light on. Gauge came back up, & I thought oh it's the cold. Nope did it again so I pulled over. Checked oil & none. Not a drop on the dipstick. Called tow truck. I used a K & N filter, got a deal on 2. Wonder if seal blew. It's still extremely cold, no garage, so it'll have to wait. But it will be hard to tell as because of a valve cover gasket leak, underneath is already covered in oil.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
yowza...but you did the right thing by shutting it down.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the truck back from getting the chrome wrapped in black. Now to find some plastic restorer (photos to follow).

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well today I had to pull over & call for a tow truck. Yesterday I changed my oil like I've done since 05. Was -6° this morning when I drove to work. All good. Go to leave, driving along & oil gauge started to drop to nothing. Check gauges light on. Gauge came back up, & I thought oh it's the cold. Nope did it again so I pulled over. Checked oil & none. Not a drop on the dipstick. Called tow truck. I used a K & N filter, got a deal on 2. Wonder if seal blew. It's still extremely cold, no garage, so it'll have to wait. But it will be hard to tell as because of a valve cover gasket leak, underneath is already covered in oil.
I had that happen when I didn't lubricate the oil filter as i put it into place. A dry oil filter weal sticks more and acts like it is tight, but when the oil pump gets fluid to it, it begins to leak slowly until the oil is gone. Hope it was something simple like this and not a bigger issue.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Mother nature decided to dump 7 inches of snow over the past couple of days, which gave me the chance to try out the TruTrac. Made driving through snow a breeze

I bought some 4th gen replica tow mirrors a few weeks ago and am currently in the process of making custom addressable LED turn signals for them to match the headlights. I'm trying to decide whether to have them paint matched or just throw them on with the black. I need to have a door handle paint matched too while I'm at it

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thought my driveshaft "U" joint in the rear was going bad. Had a hum in the rear for the last 2 years. Found out it was the differentials bearings. Replaced the bearings, axle seals, and brake pads to fix the truck. I also had a new differential aluminum cover that has a higher lube capacity. Love my truck.

2 (2).JPGIMG_1175.JPG

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t drive the ole HEMI to much now a days, but she still is around and serves a purpose. Had someone come up an try to buy it from my driveway

Attachments

• 9D049B48-4BFC-48B1-A40C-7AAB69EC5341.jpeg
    9D049B48-4BFC-48B1-A40C-7AAB69EC5341.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 8

Troy-72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pulled my truck out this morning after sitting all night .. yes this is 2wd … Florida Redneck !!! Too many beers and not enough sense !! She’s running fine by the way :)

Attachments

• 00A54AAD-E70D-43CB-B04C-D00B1874288D.jpeg
    00A54AAD-E70D-43CB-B04C-D00B1874288D.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 14
  • E2C71095-3590-407C-AEF7-DDF5B325B825.jpeg
    E2C71095-3590-407C-AEF7-DDF5B325B825.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 4201EAAF-0CAE-4C3D-B3D4-B5981D523920.jpeg
    4201EAAF-0CAE-4C3D-B3D4-B5981D523920.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Forum statistics