What did you do with your 4th Gen this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
View attachment 150817 View attachment 150818 View attachment 150819 View attachment 150820 Hello everyone,
I had leather seat covers installed on my truck this week. I had the seat covers made in black leather borders with grey inserts to match the existing grey trim. I had blue stitching done to match the exterior of the truck. The blue stitching gives a nice contrast and kind of pulled the exterior together with the interior. Unfortunately, I’m not real happy with the way it turned out. The colors look great but the covers don’t fit as well as I had hoped that they would. The corners and seams seem a little baggy if that makes sense. The trim shop that installed them said they will fit a little better once it heats up outside and the leather softens. My finely tuned ********* detector felt otherwise. I’ve seen the factory leather seat covers on these trucks and they look phenomenal. I don’t think I would ever do an aftermarket leather interior again after seeing the final results of this one. Don’t get me wrong, it looks nice, but not factory nice. Oh, I also had rear seat heaters for the kids installed since the covers were removed. Here are some pictures.

The blue stitching was a great choice.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 150817 View attachment 150818 View attachment 150819 View attachment 150820 Hello everyone,
I had leather seat covers installed on my truck this week. I had the seat covers made in black leather borders with grey inserts to match the existing grey trim. I had blue stitching done to match the exterior of the truck. The blue stitching gives a nice contrast and kind of pulled the exterior together with the interior. Unfortunately, I’m not real happy with the way it turned out. The colors look great but the covers don’t fit as well as I had hoped that they would. The corners and seams seem a little baggy if that makes sense. The trim shop that installed them said they will fit a little better once it heats up outside and the leather softens. My finely tuned ********* detector felt otherwise. I’ve seen the factory leather seat covers on these trucks and they look phenomenal. I don’t think I would ever do an aftermarket leather interior again after seeing the final results of this one. Don’t get me wrong, it looks nice, but not factory nice. Oh, I also had rear seat heaters for the kids installed since the covers were removed. Here are some pictures.

Are you past the point of going back to give them another opportunity to do better? The cost is really none of my business but I bet it was high enough that if I wasn't completely satisfied I'd be back on their porch till I was happy. The excuse they gave you reminds me of what some painters tell customers---wash your car enough times with cold water and that orange peel will come right out----Ya right!!!!!
Jay

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been told by another installer that heat/sun will let the covers "fit" a little better.

Another option (during install, most likely) was to use steam to help shrink the wrinkles.

If the install itself has a warranty I would just ride it out and see if it gets better, otherwise Id be on their doorstep asking if they could steam the wrinkles out. Pretty sure every good upholstery/auto interior shop has one.

I will be installing new covers myself and actually plan on picking up a small garment steamer from Target (or Costco) specifically for this reason.

19Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you past the point of going back to give them another opportunity to do better? The cost is really none of my business but I bet it was high enough that if I wasn't completely satisfied I'd be back on their porch till I was happy. The excuse they gave you reminds me of what some painters tell customers---wash your car enough times with cold water and that orange peel will come right out----Ya right!!!!!
Jay
Oh no, I didn’t walk away on bad terms with the guy. I figured I’d let it go until it heats up a little outside in a few months and see what happens. My guess is, the wrinkles will be there regardless how hot it gets outside. The total cost for front and rear covers, installation and rear seat lower cushion and back rest heat was $1600.00 out the door. Price seemed more than fair to me, just wish the fit would have been a little tighter.

19Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been told by another installer that heat/sun will let the covers "fit" a little better.

Another option (during install, most likely) was to use steam to help shrink the wrinkles.

If the install itself has a warranty I would just ride it out and see if it gets better, otherwise Id be on their doorstep asking if they could steam the wrinkles out. Pretty sure every good upholstery/auto interior shop has one.

I will be installing new covers myself and actually plan on picking up a small garment steamer from Target (or Costco) specifically for this reason.
He said he did use a steamer to try to relax the leather. Hopefully the hot summer temperatures will do what he said they would. If not, I plan on taking it back to see what he can do with it. Overall, I’m glad I had it done. I don’t know, maybe I was expecting to much as far a fit. The factory leather in my last Ram was really nice and raised the bar I guess.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He said he did use a steamer to try to relax the leather. Hopefully the hot summer temperatures will do what he said they would. If not, I plan on taking it back to see what he can do with it. Overall, I’m glad I had it done. I don’t know, maybe I was expecting to much as far a fit. The factory leather in my last Ram was really nice and raised the bar I guess.

What brand are the covers??? I installed leather covers on mine and they will look better after your trucks been out in the summer heat. I left mine covers out in the sun before I installed them and then let my truck sit out in the sun after the install. It made it easy to work out some of the wrinkles and relaxed the leather.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What brand are the covers??? I installed leather covers on mine and they will look better after your trucks been out in the summer heat. I left mine covers out in the sun before I installed them and then let my truck sit out in the sun after the install. It made it easy to work out some of the wrinkles and relaxed the leather.

That’s what I did with the clazzio covers I put in my F150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clazzio covers are what I have, and they are definitely worth the money.

Yea I loved them. Pain in the ass to install. My hands were all kinda of sore and cut up. But comfortable seats that looked tight and factory. I had a race red 150. Had black out panels, charcoal grey perforated middles and bright red stitching. Looked real nice.

Also that extra foam they put on was nice and extra comfy

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Drove mine back from SC today. 956.2 miles round trip, averaged 10.2 MPG pulling a 7X14 enclosed trailer. Air suspension in "Aero" mode going down, "Normal" mode on the way home.

19Classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That
That’s what I’m hoping for. As far as the brand of covers, I’m not really sure. I have a paint booth at my shop that has a baking system. Maybe I’ll stick the truck in there in the morning and run a bake cycle with the truck doors open. I think the booth is set to run at 145 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. I wonder if that might do something? I’m thinking the best thing would be for the truck to sit in the sun on a hot summer day for 10 hours. To bad it’s only January, still have at least 5 or 6 months to go! We’ll see what happens, I’ll keep you posted!

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those look great. Where’d you get them?

Now I just need to get rid of that chrome grill. After I'd installed everything, came in the house and told the wife "If the truck gets any sexier, you're out of here."

Got all three from Amazon. Drove for the first time this morning - tails look great and the headlights definitely put out more light, but I think they need to be lowered a bit. No one flashed me, but the light seems a little higher than the OEMs.

I was advised to run a bead of silicon around the housings to help prevent fogging. Strangely, I never had that issue with the OEMs, but when I took off the passenger side, there was no dust cap.

Last edited:

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Dropped it off to get oil change, air filter change, four recalls and 3rd brake light leak fixed and headliner replaced or cleaned. Again...

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might be using it to pick up another bike tonight... pics if it happens.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
i thought that with the 1.5" you would not lose tow hooks.

look through shadowhawk's posts
nope-- you do lose the tow hooks with a 1.5" body lift.

Despite the rain, I couldn't wait any longer. Got the LED tails, and new headlights in.

full

Wahrsuul- are those spyder tails? mine throw bulb out codes.