What does an airlift help with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've noticed a lot of folks in this section of the forum who have put an air lift in. I'm just curious if it has any benefits if your trailer already pulls nicely? I know that with my setup I tend to keep the bed of my truck empty because it sits just right without anything and a properly loaded trailer. Would an airlift give me some wiggle to bring bikes and other things along in the bed?

nZ5UjCw.jpg

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Air lift does not add capacity.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I used air assist springs on my 1500 to help stabilize the truck & trailer. Never loaded anything up in the back, but it did help with the ride

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
So just for quality of the ride and stability then? Basically if it isn't good to do with my stock suspension then don't do it with air lift either.

That's what I've been told.

Now the Kelserman air suspension is interesting to me. And if I go commercial hauling, I'd consider it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So just for quality of the ride and stability then?
Because the rear end of these trucks are soft, using air bags in the rear are like adjustable springs. You can make the rear end firmer to be more resistant to porpoising and easier to get the truck/trailer to ride level with the WDH set correctly.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Air lift does not add capacity.
Ditto... it only helps the sag in the rear... I use it, and helps to level out a bit. The payload is still same poundage.

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ditto... it only helps the sag in the rear... I use it, and helps to level out a bit. The payload is still same poundage.
I have the airlift 1000 I just put in my truck. Any tips on how many pounds pressure you use? I tried them once at 20 lbs pressure and they seemed to help. The manual says 35lbs max. My experience was short. I was just getting my WDH adjusted and only drove about 5 miles.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
I use 32lbs in my bags.. .that and the properly adjusted WDH my trailer tows much better... dealer didnt do me good when they installed it at "stock"height...

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've noticed a lot of folks in this section of the forum who have put an air lift in. I'm just curious if it has any benefits if your trailer already pulls nicely? I know that with my setup I tend to keep the bed of my truck empty because it sits just right without anything and a properly loaded trailer. Would an airlift give me some wiggle to bring bikes and other things along in the bed?

nZ5UjCw.jpg
got the same setup. Im lifted 7in with 35's. just set up the WD hitch correctly and your will be good. problem with the bags is you need to have the trailer, WDH, and truck all set and when you add bags and pressure you will need to readjust the WDH to match with the bags aired up.

P.S., this pic is before i got my WDH dialed in.
61F64A9B-A942-4874-9501-F22680D8712C.jpeg

Last edited:

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
As mentioned, it doesn't add capacity, it helps carry the load. I have a 5W with the front of the truck leveled, so I use airbags to keep the truck and camper level while loaded. I haven't put my new setup across the scale, but in my leveled 1500 I had airlift 1000's that helped keep the truck level in conjunction with a Blue Ox Swaypro.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I use them to level my truck out and help the rear end feel more firmly planted. It also keeps your front end geometry correct and headlights properly aimed. When the rear end sags caster increases and the headlights hit oncoming and car in front of you higher.

I measured my rear bumper height without the trailer. Measured it again with the fully loaded trailer. Pumped up the bags to rester the rear bumper to the "without trailer" height. My truck / trailer combo took 40 PSI to level out. My stsem has memory slots in the wireless controller so I put that value in one of the slots. Now I just push a button and it levels the truck out.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

nZ5UjCw.jpg

Not sure I'd agree with, "sits just right" if this photo is your setup. The back of your truck is sagging substantially. As others have said, the bags don't increase capacity but in your case would help a lot. If nothing else, please don't drive at night because your headlights are blinding.

OP
OP
Jeremy Fry

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My stsem has memory slots in the wireless controller so I put that value in one of the slots. Now I just push a button and it levels the truck out.

That's what I was hoping for. What system do you use?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
AirLift Wireless One compressor system and Airlift LoadLifter 5000 bags on my 2016 2500 CTD.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I'm just curious if it has any benefits if your trailer already pulls nicely?
Headlight alignment is maintained.
May add stability when performing emergency maneuvers.
Theoretical infinitesimal improvement in fuel economy with some trailers.

QUOTE="Jeremy Fry, post: 2362824, member: 98426"] Would an airlift give me some wiggle to bring bikes and other things along in the bed?[/QUOTE]
Depends what you mean.
If adding cargo in the bed causes squat, air bags would counteract the squat.
If adding cargo in the bed changes handling, a weight distribution hitch would counteract that behavior.
If adding cargo in the bed causes you to exceed any of your trucks ratings (i.e. cargo, GVWR, GCWR, axle load...) Air bags, weight distribution hitches, and other towing comfort and safety modifications will not provide any change to these numbers or legal wiggle room. That may or may not mater to you, your insurer, or authorities where you live and where you drive.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Headlight alignment is maintained.
May add stability when performing emergency maneuvers.
Theoretical infinitesimal improvement in fuel economy with some trailers.

QUOTE="Jeremy Fry, post: 2362824, member: 98426"] Would an airlift give me some wiggle to bring bikes and other things along in the bed?
Depends what you mean.
If adding cargo in the bed causes squat, air bags would counteract the squat.
If adding cargo in the bed changes handling, a weight distribution hitch would counteract that behavior.
If adding cargo in the bed causes you to exceed any of your trucks ratings (i.e. cargo, GVWR, GCWR, axle load...) Air bags, weight distribution hitches, and other towing comfort and safety modifications will not provide any change to these numbers or legal wiggle room. That may or may not mater to you, your insurer, or authorities where you live and where you drive.[/QUOTE]

Minor nit. Squat does change handling as well by altering caster and camber.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
When I initially hauled gravel or sand in my truck, it would squat some with 1200 pounds in the bed. Now I also have a cross-bed toolbox mounted so I cannot load the gravel biased towards the front of the bed, it is mostly in the middle and rear of the bed. With the airbags (1,000's) installed, I put 30 psi in them and the loaded truck is level, steers better going up hills and around corners, plus the headlights are in the proper orientation. My truck has a rating of 1688 pounds and I weigh 200 so I limit my loads to 1200---don't know what the toolbox & tools weighs. When unloaded, as per Airlift, I leave 10 psi in the bags and can't tell they're there. No experience with towing large trailers with this truck so I can't comment on that.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Minor nit. Squat does change handling as well by altering caster and camber.
Sure does, however if the concern is handling one should start with a WD hitch (which if you're looking for nits may also correct headlight alignment...).

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is there any benefit to purchasing the Air Lift 1500 pound bags as opposed to the 1000 pound bags? I have a 1500 rcsb rwd and will be Towing a two axle 14 foot V nose cargo trailer that will weigh in at 4,500 lb Max but usually less depending on what I load in it. Sometimes I put my motorcycle in the bed of the truck without the trailer and the total weight with the bike & the ramps is around 850 lb.

Last edited: