What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the power seat all the way down and still hit my head.

Yes, well, vehicles are typically designed for 99.8% of the population. Do any of the other brands fit you better? If so, I guess I'd probably go with what fit rather than what I like otherwise, for a daily driver/work truck, etc.

Then again, my Boxster really needs about 2" more leg-room for me to be comfortable, but ain't no way I'm trading it for a Subaru or what-have-you just because it "fits" me better...

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, well, vehicles are typically designed for 99.8% of the population. Do any of the other brands fit you better? If so, I guess I'd probably go with what fit rather than what I like otherwise, for a daily driver/work truck, etc.

Then again, my Boxster really needs about 2" more leg-room for me to be comfortable, but ain't no way I'm trading it for a Subaru or what-have-you just because it "fits" me better...
I've grown used to it and its not that big of a deal. It's nit the first thing and won't be the last thing I am too big for.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm tall (6'6") and have to duck my head to get in the truck. I am fine sitting in the seat with head room, just a problem where the roof slopes down by the door.

I’m 6-foot and I have to duck to get in. Just be glad bein’ that you’re 6-foot 6 and all that you can still fit and not be rubbing your head on the headliner. There’s been shorter people complain about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
My Ram quadcab Tradesman was bought new in August of 2018 for $24,150 out the door and have 63K miles on it now since I also use it for work with my construction company and no problems at all so far. The Goodyear SRA factory tires worked very well with smooth ride and great handling and I got rid of them at 60K miles and I could have got 7-8K more miles but they did suck in the mud so I replaced them with Cooper A/T tires that should do much better in mud but they loose about 1 mile per gallon in mileage. I clean my truck often and hate the black carpeting because its hard to keep clean and and grass just seems to stick to it and you have to vacuum over and over. I wish it had a tail gate down indicator and a spring loaded tailgate that was much easier to lift like my old Titan which every pickup should have. The V6 has plenty of power and gets about 21 mpg in the city but the highway mileage isn't much better but I usually drive about 80-85 on the highway and the transmission is the best I've ever owned, and overall I absolutely love the truck.

Last edited:

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
The AT knob. Hate it!
Man, multiple times I have reached without looking and turned my fan speed knob that is a little to the right, I’m surprised I haven’t run into something yet.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, multiple times I have reached without looking and turned my fan speed knob that is a little to the right, I’m surprised I haven’t run into something yet.
But the reach to grab the fan speed knob (I’m assuming you have an slt dash?) is a significantly further reach to get to that knob.

If you have the dual zone dash then I’m even more confused how you can keep doing such a thing since it’s even further away.

Plus anytime you’re changing from and forward gears into reverse or into park....you’re at a stop.

It’s pretty hard to grab the wrong one imo.
If there’s any complaint it’s that sometimes I reach for a shift lever off the steering column since that what my work vehicle has lol.

Kingzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dislike the small hole on the side of the center console to run your phone wires through. I always end up breaking skin on my knuckles when putting on my seat belt.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Did you drive it straight there off the lot and leave it for the last 20 years?!!

Oh, I see you are in AZ. That make a bit of difference, I suppose.

No... truck has been well used! No garage ever. 323k miles now. It’s just been an awesome truck!
I’m replacing the dash now... I guess that’s one thing I don’t like about my truck... the crappy plastic used on the gen 2 dashboards!
f8643b2e6b3fe802e87f012db8c7644e.jpg

And being in AZ helps!!

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
But the reach to grab the fan speed knob (I’m assuming you have an slt dash?) is a significantly further reach to get to that knob.

If you have the dual zone dash then I’m even more confused how you can keep doing such a thing since it’s even further away.

Plus anytime you’re changing from and forward gears into reverse or into park....you’re at a stop.

It’s pretty hard to grab the wrong one imo.
If there’s any complaint it’s that sometimes I reach for a shift lever off the steering column since that what my work vehicle has lol.
It’s about 3-4 inches to the right of it, on a 2019 tradesman 3500. I only do it after I have backed up, half turned around checking over my right shoulder to see where I am at, I just reach blind and grab that fan knob. I know it is stupid, but I find it funny as **** when I do it.

Last edited:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I dislike the small hole on the side of the center console to run your phone wires through. I always end up breaking skin on my knuckles when putting on my seat belt.

Not quite sure what you're talking about, but [one of] the greatest things since sliced bread is a 3" seatbelt extender.

Almost every vehicle I've owned, the "clicker" part of the seatbelt is practically buried. Now, granted, this was one of those accidental revelations, but I'll take it.

I was having trouble turning off the "seatbelt disconnected" chime on my '20 and someone had suggested a seatbelt extender. Since a "seatbelt" is connected you won't get the chime*. The happy bonus is that I can buckle in with one hand easily. Now, some people (my doctor, for instance) might say I'm overweight. And I am, a bit. But at 6'2" and 220# it's not excessive. So it's not that I "need" the extender, it just makes it soooo much easier to buckle up.

*stop the hate mail. I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt on public highways. Mostly it's for when I drive the 1000' or so between my shop driveway and parking area. We have an OPEN sign that I put out/put away every day and the chime is so annoying while I drive at 5-10 MPH up our private drive....

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No... truck has been well used! No garage ever. 323k miles now. It’s just been an awesome truck!
I’m replacing the dash now... I guess that’s one thing I don’t like about my truck... the crappy plastic used on the gen 2 dashboards!
f8643b2e6b3fe802e87f012db8c7644e.jpg

And being in AZ helps!!

Wow, they must have been using some real paint back then! AZ sun is not very friendly! Great job.

Farmer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The transmission knob is probably the best place to have a shifter because I'm always eating and drinking things in my truck and spill a little on the console and it gets in all the cracks and can't be cleaned out. The knob is really the cheapest and least obtrusive of any shifter but they should have made it a different finish and configuration from the other knobs on the dash and I've thought about getting one of the slip on replacements but haven't found any I like yet.

Kingzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Snapchat-1737503371.jpg
Not quite sure what you're talking about, but [one of] the greatest things since sliced bread is a 3" seatbelt extender.

Almost every vehicle I've owned, the "clicker" part of the seatbelt is practically buried. Now, granted, this was one of those accidental revelations, but I'll take it.

I was having trouble turning off the "seatbelt disconnected" chime on my '20 and someone had suggested a seatbelt extender. Since a "seatbelt" is connected you won't get the chime*. The happy bonus is that I can buckle in with one hand easily. Now, some people (my doctor, for instance) might say I'm overweight. And I am, a bit. But at 6'2" and 220# it's not excessive. So it's not that I "need" the extender, it just makes it soooo much easier to buckle up.

*stop the hate mail. I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt on public highways. Mostly it's for when I drive the 1000' or so between my shop driveway and parking area. We have an OPEN sign that I put out/put away every day and the chime is so annoying while I drive at 5-10 MPH up our private drive....

This little hole to manage your cables. I always catch my knuckles on it. Been thinking about sanding the edges.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Wow, they must have been using some real paint back then! AZ sun is not very friendly! Great job.

Yes, my paint job has been awesome. Still original paint and it has not peeled off like I have seen on some.
Ready to reinstall the HVAC and new dash!
000aa12fe6982402bccfd55586d33c06.jpg

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No tailgate assist. No easily replaceable fuel filter. And the TIPM system is awful.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No tailgate assist.
Get one. They’re not expensive or hard to put on.
No easily replaceable fuel filter.
Why is this an issue? It’s built into the pump in the tank and it really doesn’t need servicing. That’s why they put it there and on the pump so what when and if the pump ever goes out after a normal lifespan of 200k+ miles, you get a new filter when you get a new pump.
And the TIPM system is awful.
Please explain..... what’s so awful about it?

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get one. They’re not expensive or hard to put on

For 50k and the popularity of them, they should be standard.

Why is this an issue? It’s built into the pump in the tank and it really doesn’t need servicing. That’s why they put it there and on the pump so what when and if the pump ever goes out after a normal lifespan of 200k+ miles, you get a new filter when you get a new pump.

Common sense would dictate that having an easily serviceable fuel filter on a vehicle is always a good idea. It's why alot of the cars and trucks sold today still have one. They have taken an otherwise simple and inexpensive maintenance item and made it way over complicated. One bad load of fuel and your dropping the tank to service it vs a 5 minute filter change when they were under the truck. I'm not a fan of this "maintenance free" ideology. It always end up costing more when things go wrong. They engineer today's vehicles to be more appealing to buyers as reduced maintenance costs but in reality the repair bills when things do go wrong are much higher. You're going to pay more in the end.

Please explain..... what’s so awful about it?

Ever price one out to replace it? That says it all. It's a stupid design. Their was nothing wrong with a simple fuse box and direct wire controls. But in the era of manufacturing cost cutting they pocket the $$ THEY save producing these cars and trucks and hand you, the consumer outrageous repair costs when things go wrong. How many pages is the AlfaOBD thread? The primary reason we need that is due to TIPM and the computerization of everything. I much prefer these trucks pre-TIPM where a simple test lights was all you needed. Their is no advantage to the end user having a TIPM over a standard electrical system with a fuse box and relays where needed. The TIPM is not your friend. Plenty of recalls and lawsuits because of them too. Garbage.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For 50k and the popularity of them, they should be standard.
Well, nothings perfect man. As a matter of fact, as soon as they came out with the new fifth GEN body style they all have that now. But I feel your pain, it should be standard but here’s the deal; they didn’t have one so instead of making a big deal about it go to the part store and go buy you one- they’re not expensive. Easy peasy. Just be glad that we have stuff like that at the aftermarket to make our trucks however we want them.

And I realize 50 grand is a lot of money for just a basic pickup but if you think about it, if new trucks came out with all these little things that so many people wish they had, your truck wouldn’t cost 50,000; matter fact, it would be a whole lot more expensive than 50,000 so kind of be careful what you wish for because if that was the case, you probably wind up with all sorts of other **** that somebody else wanted that you may not want, but you’re by golly having to pay extra for it.

Common sense would dictate that having an easily serviceable fuel filter on a vehicle is always a good idea. It’s why alot of the cars and trucks sold today still have one. They have taken an otherwise simple and inexpensive maintenance item and made it way over complicated. One bad load of fuel and your dropping the tank to service it vs a 5 minute filter change when they were under the truck. I’m not a fan of this “maintenance free” ideology. It always end up costing more when things go wrong. They engineer today's vehicles to be more appealing to buyers as reduced maintenance costs but in reality the repair bills when things do go wrong are much higher. You're going to pay more in the end.

Maybe things are different where ayou live but in all the places I’ve lived, getting a bad load of fuel really doesn’t happen as often as you think it does. And if it does then don’t buy fuel there especially if it’s a known place that sells bad fuel. Besides that, every one of those gas pumps that pumps gas in your car have a pretty good high-quality filtration system that filters the gas before it even leaves the hose.

But I don’t know what other cars and trucks you’re talking about that actually has a serviceable fuel filter not counting anything that’s diesel but in all my 20 years of owning my own vehicles, I’ve never once had to deal with any kind of fuel filter being plugged up. As a matter of fact, the only time were I’ve had to deal with anything that was pump or filter related on a gas vehicle was on an old 96 Plymouth breeze that my mom has way back in the day that which, if you don’t know what that was, it was basically the Plymouth version of the Dodge Stratus but finally after she got close to 220,000 miles on that car the fuel pump finally went out so that’s why as far as I’m concerned, having a serviceable fuel filter is something you don’t need. But again, maybe things are different where you live. Other than that, the only time I’ve ever had to help anybody with a plugged up fuel filter has been on some old, ancient Chevrolet vehicle or GMC vehicle where the fuel filters kept stopping up but as far as on anything else that has the fuel filter inside the tank only one time have I ever had to mess with one and when I pulled out the old stock fuel pump, the filter wasn’t even plugged; it was just a bad pump that finally decided it wasn’t going to work anymore.

But you know, if you still think having a serviceable fuel filter is a good idea, I’m sure a quick search on the web somewhere and I bet you could find an aftermarket kit to put on your vehicle if you’re so worried about it.

And yeah, I don’t like this maintenance free ideology either, it still cracks me up that I’ve got a transmission in my truck that says pretty much as long as I’m not pulling a trailer all the time, not using it for any kind of fleet, taxi or commercial service and as long as I’m not doing a lot of off-road driving that I never have to change the oil in it. But if you look around on here there’s people that have gone close to and over 150,000 miles on these transmissions and haven’t had even change the oil in them one time. But also, if you look around you’ll see were people have found out how to change the oil and what fluid to use and everything else if your “maintenance free” transmission doesn’t make sense to you.

And you’re right, they do engineer these vehicles to be sort of somewhat maintenance free because so many people these days don’t even keep vehicles for any longer than 3 to 5 years so for most people, it’s really not even something to be concerned about.

Ever price one out to replace it? That says it all. It’s a stupid design. Their was nothing wrong with a simple fuse box and direct wire controls. But in the era of manufacturing cost cutting they pocket the $$ THEY save producing these cars and trucks and hand you, the consumer outrageous repair costs when things go wrong. How many pages is the AlfaOBD thread? The primary reason we need that is due to TIPM and the computerization of everything. I much prefer these trucks pre-TIPM where a simple test lights was all you needed. Their is no advantage to the end user having a TIPM over a standard electrical system with a fuse box and relays where needed. The TIPM is not your friend. Plenty of recalls and lawsuits because of them too. Garbage.

No, I never have priced one out because I’ve never had to replace one. But at least if I do, at least my lifetime warranty that I bought with my new pickup should cover something like that if it was ever to not work.

But ****, I thought that alpha OBD thing was a really good thing to have for those folks that don’t want to spend the money on a top-tier trim truck when they can just buy the basic tradesmen or Big Horn, get one of those alpha things and add all the stuff that they want for a whole lot cheaper price and the satisfaction of doing it themselves. But to question how everything is not so simple anymore, you’re also questioning computerized technology. I mean, this is 2020 where everything is becoming computerized. It already has been for many years. It’s the wave of the future; always has been. Hell, they thought that by 2015 that we’d be cruising around and flying cars… LOL. I’m surprised that hadn’t happened yet.

But I don’t know man, you kind of sound like one of those who can’t stand modern advancement and probably just needs to not buy anything brand new and go get you an old 70s or 80s whatever, fix that up to drive around.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But I feel your pain, it should be standard but here’s the deal; they didn’t have one so instead of making a big deal about it

I'm not making a big deal of it. The title of the thread is "What don't you like about your Ram". So i posted my list.

But I don’t know what other cars and trucks you’re talking about that actually has a serviceable fuel filter not counting anything that’s diesel

Most cars have replaceable fuel filters. More have them then don't. 10+ years ago almost every vehicle had one. It's only more recently with the advent of plastic fuel tanks that separate filters have been going away.

Besides that, every one of those gas pumps that pumps gas in your car have a pretty good high-quality filtration system that filters the gas before it even leaves the hose.

Gas pumps have a basic spin on type filter that traps dirt and sediment. It doesn't stop water. These filters are offered in 10 Micron or 30 Micron versions. Most gas stations opt for 30 micron so they last longer.

But you know, if you still think having a serviceable fuel filter is a good idea, I’m sure a quick search on the web somewhere and I bet you could find an aftermarket kit to put on your vehicle if you’re so worried about it.

It would be pointless unless i dropped the tank and removed the in-tank filter.

But ****, I thought that alpha OBD thing was a really good thing to have for those folks that don’t want to spend the money on a top-tier trim truck when they can just buy the basic tradesmen or Big Horn, get one of those alpha things and add all the stuff that they want for a whole lot cheaper price and the satisfaction of doing it themselves.

If their wasn't a TIPM you could still add on all those upgrades but it wouldn't require any computer program to make them work. You would just plug stuff in and be done. The TIPM just introduced more work and risk for people wanting to make upgrades.

But I don’t know man, you kind of sound like one of those who can’t stand modern advancement and probably just needs to not buy anything brand new and go get you an old 70s or 80s whatever, fix that up to drive around.

What are you implying? Kind of an obnoxious thing to say. Once again, i didn't just randomly create a thread complaining about me truck. I was responding to a thread topic created by someone else asking what i don't like about my truck. That's it. Nowhere did i say "i can't stand modern advancement" I'm all for technology that makes things better. The TIPM doesn't make our trucks better. It makes them worse. Plenty of facts to back that up too. Chrysler didn't add the TIPM to their cars to make the consumers lives easier. They did it to save them money.