What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Scandinavian countries are all beautiful (at least from what I can tell from having watched every episode of Vikings) but doesn't it snow like 8 months out of the year? That would take some getting used too since it only snows here like twice a decade.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
The Scandinavian countries are all beautiful (at least from what I can tell from having watched every episode of Vikings) but doesn't it snow like 8 months out of the year? That would take some getting used too since it only snows here like twice a decade.
Down here in Stockholm there not that much, It can snow from Nov. to April. But down in the south (400 miles south of Stockholm) there rarely snows in the winter.

But up in the mountans the snow will be gone in the late summer.

Here is a road that first opens i May and takes 4 weeks to clear (160 miles long and up to 20 feet deep compact snow)
https://www.tv4.se/nyheterna/klipp/vildmarksvägen-plogas-upp-sex-meter-hög-kompakt-snö-3913928

Location of the road https://www.google.se/maps/place/Vi...21e4b97092aee4d!8m2!3d65.0802807!4d14.4258345

More from that road (Wilderness Road is the name) https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Vildmarksvägen

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Suspension

Mixed bag, Ram is the most comfortable ride in a truck ever, coil back was one main reason they won truck of the year like 3 outta 4 years. But, there are also really weenie parts in the front, doing a solid axle swap for these 1500's would be a great idea, but at that point someone mise well buy a 2500.

I think the worst part of Ram is the worst part of all trucks these days, the gov't that is in the truck in the name of fuel mileage that accomplishes nothing but just adds more stuff that will break over time. That plus the poor way their cams and lifters were built. Ram still best bang for buck, but I guess trucks will never have solid axles at the 1500 level, sure wish they would.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mixed bag, Ram is the most comfortable ride in a truck ever, coil back was one main reason they won truck of the year like 3 outta 4 years. But, there are also really weenie parts in the front, doing a solid axle swap for these 1500's would be a great idea, but at that point someone mise well buy a 2500.

I think the worst part of Ram is the worst part of all trucks these days, the gov't that is in the truck in the name of fuel mileage that accomplishes nothing but just adds more stuff that will break over time. That plus the poor way their cams and lifters were built. Ram still best bang for buck, but I guess trucks will never have solid axles at the 1500 level, sure wish they would.
Understood.

As for the "weakness" of IFS that all the half-tons come with, I'm not sure why people think it is weak. What advantages does live axle provide over the IFS? IFS provides better center clearance, more comfortable ride, and usually better turning radius than live axle.

Except for heavier loads (that is what an HD would be good for) and better articulation, both at the expense of driveability/comfort....I see no significant advantage of live axle.

Not discounting your opinion, just trying to get some points of view as to what the drive is behind straight front axles.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi

Good points, that's why I drive a 2500, it's my 5th one, and they are built like tanks!

IMG_20180808_183640.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not sure they are weak? I already replaced the axle that can be bought for 50 dollars, lol. Too many moving cheap parts. With the coil back suspension it really would mitigate any comfort loss from having a solid axle. I have wheeled my truck three times and three times I stopped because of some ridiculous noise I get that is something between the transfer case and what ram calls an axle. Just horrible. Maybe if I was flying along a dessert it would be ok, and in the snow I have great luck with it, but I wouldn't wheel this thing in a parking lot. If there is something I would usually use 4x4 with, I simply just use 2 wheel drive and use speed to avoid getting stuck. I don't know if it is just this truck, but the front suspension is garbage in 4x4 on a field.

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure they are weak? I already replaced the axle that can be bought for 50 dollars, lol. Too many moving cheap parts. With the coil back suspension it really would mitigate any comfort loss from having a solid axle. I have wheeled my truck three times and three times I stopped because of some ridiculous noise I get that is something between the transfer case and what ram calls an axle. Just horrible. Maybe if I was flying along a dessert it would be ok, and in the snow I have great luck with it, but I wouldn't wheel this thing in a parking lot. If there is something I would usually use 4x4 with, I simply just use 2 wheel drive and use speed to avoid getting stuck. I don't know if it is just this truck, but the front suspension is garbage in 4x4 on a field.
Interesting. I will keep an eye out.

I havr owned all big 3 IFS trucks and never had an issue....I have caught front end air multiple times in GM and Dodge IFS trucks.

Not sure if you had bad luck, or I had good luck. One thing I lke about straight axles us their inherent strength for bigger tires rotating mass....

I would like live portal axles, then you get the center clearance of IFS and inherent strength of the straight axles for bigger tires.

But, to your point, that is more parts for sure.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I had three f150 bodies with that ttb suspension, I didn't get after market tires on the last one because of the number times I had to align the other two, lol. SAS is one of the more popular upgrades in that forum. It just depends I guess, I know many guys like the other suspension.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old 64 F100 had a straight axle front end with leaf springs under it and it was guaranteed to beat you to death but it was tough as nails I will admit. One things for sure there wasn’t much that could go wrong with such a simple design. I believe the setup is a direct descendant of the Conestoga wagon.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I also must add I'm not one to be going down the freeway at 80mph, my nic name when I was driving a truck was milk man. I would say the list of what I do like on my ram is way bigger then what I don't like. I have some investments coming down the pike, I don't see buying a new truck, I just don't like the new **** as much. I just may do a SAS someday and drive this thing til i die. Go up 4 inches and put some 35's, simple and me.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
My old 64 F100 had a straight axle front end with leaf springs under it and it was guaranteed to beat you to death but it was tough as nails I will admit. One things for sure there wasn’t much that could go wrong with such a simple design. I believe the setup is a direct descendant of the Conestoga wagon.

Oh yeah my first truck, 64 Ford 400m C6 and 4:10s. i was 15 in this pic. lol

FB_IMG_1534196687081.jpg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah my first truck, 64 Ford 400m C6 and 4:10s. i was 15 in this pic. lol

View attachment 137277
I actually put a Chevy 350/turbo 350 in mine and it was pretty quick with the 4.10s in it. Unfortunately I was using it as a DD at the time and replaced the 4.10s with 3.25s to help the mileage a little bit which barely got my mileage in to double digits. Fun truck though and it was free to boot.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lack of descent control option, lack of aftermarket lockers, lack of rock sliders options (at least we have one vendor, White Knucle, making real rock sliders for this trucks), not even one single vendor that makes a damn winch mount for the 4th gen RAM 1500 to use the factory bumper. I love the truck, but it seems the Offroad aftermarket is not exactly there with a plethora of options, the only steel bumpers in the price range I'd like to spend, and Bumper style i like to have is the Body Armor ones, and at least they offer a winch mount option, pheww.

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
windows dont roll down from the fob and CANBUS sux cant swap things

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While remote start is one of my favorite things about the truck, I can never remember when I am getting out of the truck to turn the A/C temp down so that when I get back in it will be trying to get the cabin temp down low instead of to the casual 71 - 72 degrees I typically have it set at.

I wish it had a hot/cold blast setting that based on the temperature outside, it would try to reach a really cold or really warm temp when using remote start. Cause after all, the primary reason to use the remote start is to get the cabin temp right before you get in. Right?

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While remote start is one of my favorite things about the truck, I can never remember when I am getting out of the truck to turn the A/C temp down so that when I get back in it will be trying to get the cabin temp down low instead of to the casual 71 - 72 degrees I typically have it set at.

I wish it had a hot/cold blast setting that based on the temperature outside, it would try to reach a really cold or really warm temp when using remote start. Cause after all, the primary reason to use the remote start is to get the cabin temp right before you get in. Right?

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl
I use it to make sure the engine is closer to opertaing temp, but also leave my HVAC in Auto as much as possible...set to anywhere between 68-72. It does work pretty decently via remote start for me.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It should blast cold when set to 70 if the truck has been sitting in the sun. It should sense that the cabin is at 110 degrees & go full blast cold until it gets down to 70 or whatever temp it's set for.

Jeremiah walker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hate having to turn on my cruse control every time I start my truck.. Not a huge deal but when every other vehicle I've ever owned stays on once activated, it's pretty annoying.

-What I mean is I would only need to hit the "set" button in my other vehicles and would theoretically never need to hit the "cruse on" button except if my battery was unplugged.

Last edited:

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate having to turn on my cruse control every time I start my truck.. Not a huge deal but when every other vehicle I've ever owned stays on once activated, it's pretty annoying.
Jeeps (when they used GM stalks) and GM....what other brands did this?