What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
#1 pet peeve - you can't turn the radio off! Mute is not sticky and the radio turns on when you start the truck

#2 pet peeve - no option for a telescoping steering wheel. This sucks for tall guys.
#1 - Put the volume on 1 and it's sticky. If that's still annoying, select Media instead of Radio, and as long as you don't have a phone plugged in you'll hear zip.

#2 - I don't have my 4G any more but pretty sure I had the telescoping wheel on my '15 Sport. I certainly do on my '20 Laramie. Mind you, it's manual, not electronic and tied to memory positions...

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You know something that bothers me? The horn.

It's more of a pet peeve not having a courteous level of horn. It's big HONK or nothing else. Can't go half/quick honk like ALL my past vehicles.
Agreed! 5th gen is MUCH better.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I am not reading through 482 pages, so forgive me if I repeat a few... and some may be fixed on newer models

I have a 2010 1500 Laramie, things I don't like (for my age truck)
1. The rattling noise as I slow down around 20 kmph that comes from the engine when it is in eco mode.
2. I have loaded a ton of songs onto the hard drive for the stereo, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it randomly play the songs, it is either alphabetically or you have to make a play list.
3. the horrible stock light bulbs that come with the truck. Luckily LED replacements for the bulbs are available now.
4. Did anybody mention the horn yet?
5. Oil changes and plug changes are brutal.
6. I know you don't get trucks for gas mileage, but seriously this thing wont get 20 mpg on the highway. I had an '04 Cummins that would get 30 mpg.
7. Not being able to stream music from my cell phone, I can connect to talk on it, but no music streaming. Guess that is too advanced for a 2010.
Music streaming isn’t best with the older ones like ours to connect a Bluetooth wireless receiver or if you have a touch screen a usb cord. I run amazon music, Apple Music, and even Sirius XM since mine is a factory style. No issues via usb cord. MDS is ridiculous on the rams. I hate when o forget to either run tow haul or manual mode. Around town it’s manual 4 hwy its manual 5 or 6. The horn is a horn. It’s loud and you can’t casually blow it. Stock bulbs are ok at best. LED bulbs are where it’s at. I don’t find either of the oil change or spark plug changes to be that bad. It’s not great, but not bad. My Ram is a 16 all day long truck and that’s it. Accept it. Fords aren’t any better. My dad has a 13 ecoboost and it gets worst mpg then my Ram. He’s easy on the throttle to where I am not.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
#1 - Put the volume on 1 and it's sticky. If that's still annoying, select Media instead of Radio, and as long as you don't have a phone plugged in you'll hear zip.

#2 - I don't have my 4G any more but pretty sure I had the telescoping wheel on my '15 Sport. I certainly do on my '20 Laramie. Mind you, it's manual, not electronic and tied to memory positions...
Is the telescoping wheel part of a package or a stand alone option?

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ive kind of wanted to get a different horn. I think the road runner meep meep would be a cool one.

May get some train horns, that way I can be REALLY annoying and scare the cr@p out of people. :D

Egh, It is a pain in the *** but you just got a learn how to hit the button right. I can double tap my horn in a polite way rather than just blaring it at someone.

Ah man I wish I could tell you that it works, but I tried and tested to get just a small chirp (like when I lock my doors) but it defaults to a predefined honk. Double tap does nothing, light presses etc. Done them all.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
May get some train horns, that way I can be REALLY annoying and scare the cr@p out of people. :D

Ah man I wish I could tell you that it works, but I tried and tested to get just a small chirp (like when I lock my doors) but it defaults to a predefined honk. Double tap does nothing, light presses etc. Done them all.
I agree. If someone in front of you at a light is asleep or texting and you try to give a light tap of the horn it sounds like you're angry. Like we need more angry people in this world! LOL

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've added another thing that bothers me. How sensitive the auto up/down is for the front windows. I have a heck of a time just cracking the window sometimes. Also, getting tired of not having a working drivers door lock. Hoping 5th times a charm getting it fixed the next time I get a chance to go without my truck for a day. They recently had it 3 days trying to get it fixed and it worked when I picked it up without failing..............once.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I agree. If someone in front of you at a light is asleep or texting and you try to give a light tap of the horn it sounds like you're angry. Like we need more angry people in this world! LOL

Exactly! lol

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I guess I shouldn’t have went with the train horns then? I usually give a little after the light changes, then it’s full blast and they speed off. Once or twice of that, and they might quit texting, messing with their phones.

Smokey196240

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 1500 & 2006 Ram 3500
Engine
2001 5.9 , 2006 5.9 Cummins
I have the same problem when I fill the truck and the 100 Gal tank on the back but I get to drive a long way with no stops just flip a switch and my fuel gage goes from E to F

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I guess I shouldn’t have went with the train horns then? I usually give a little after the light changes, then it’s full blast and they speed off. Once or twice of that, and they might quit texting, messing with their phones.
If they don't move after the friendly toot....... Then..........! Lol

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
If they don't move after the friendly toot....... Then..........! Lol
They move ......way back when, when you could do such things, that very thing happened to my dad. A car sat through 2 green lights. My dad yelled out the window to move it or he would, he did. Lots of tire smoke and some long black marks for a city block. For the record, it was a Cadillac, and he was in a Ford pickup. No tickets for dad, lady was informed that she was obstructing traffic by the po po and to drop it. Plenty of witnesses agreed.Obviously, some memories I will never forget. I still get a chuckle out of that. It was the late 70’s. Big ranch hand bumper on the 2001 is all they see in the rear view. Something about that 5.9 clatter and big bumper, They move. Don't dare touch another’s vehicle, so I try to dismantle via the sound wave method.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel

#1 - I have the #1 spot programmed to the zero channel. That works until you bump the controls on the back of the steering wheel. I'll try the volume on 1. BUT ... it would be so simple to add an off option - just stupid that they don't IMHO.

#2 - I don't see it as an option on any of the current models.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It works for me but this brings me to a question… I wonder how hard it would be and what it would take after removing the middle steering wheel cover to lean just how they designed the horn button, to modify it in such a way to make the outer cover a little more sensitive without making it to where it’s super-sensitive to the point to where you’re blowing the horn just from a big sneeze. Lol.

Who knows, maybe that’s why they designed it the way they did so that you’re not accidentally honking the horn when you don’t intend to.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've added another thing that bothers me. How sensitive the auto up/down is for the front windows. I have a heck of a time just cracking the window sometimes.
Yeah that switch is awful sensitive, isn’t it? I sure love the one touch up and down, though. I wish my last truck had that.

But yeah, I’ve had the window deflectors on my truck ever since I’ve had it brand new but I guess it was just a lot more of a waste putting them on there for what they’re intended for because that switch is so sensitive but at least there is a bright side, though. Instead of trying to crack just the front windows, crack the back windows because they don’t have that one touch stuff. That’s all I do on a really super hot day because back when I had my old truck, I would only just crack the front windows. Very rarely would I crack all four.
Also, getting tired of not having a working drivers door lock. Hoping 5th times a charm getting it fixed the next time I get a chance to go without my truck for a day. They recently had it 3 days trying to get it fixed and it worked when I picked it up without failing..............once.
Being that all these door panels come off so easy, is this perhaps something you can fix yourself? I’ve got lifetime warranty on mine so I would probably most likely take mine in to get it repaired but if we’re just talking something that would cost the same or just below what my deductible price is, I think I would just rather save myself the frustration of having to leave it somewhere and try to repair it myself.