What gas are you running in your 19 5.7's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know what I am doing wrong. Several people reporting 19 to 21 MPG with someone reporting 24MPG. I drive 35miles round trip to work daily and this is in Atlanta traffic so stop and go a lot of the time so I get that my mileage isn't going to be on the best but it seems like being 5 to 7MPG less is crazy. Unless you folks reporting this live in less populated areas and don't do anything but drive deserted highways I don't understand the vast differences in our mileages. BTW...1 have 3.21 rear end too

I do live in Ga and only have had this vehicle in the heat of the summer. Perhaps with some cooler temps I'll see an improvement

Stop and go traffic is brutal on fuel mileage, plus the fact that your AC is running on bust as well in the hot temps.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I don't know what I am doing wrong. Several people reporting 19 to 21 MPG with someone reporting 24MPG. I drive 35miles round trip to work daily and this is in Atlanta traffic so stop and go a lot of the time so I get that my mileage isn't going to be on the best but it seems like being 5 to 7MPG less is crazy. Unless you folks reporting this live in less populated areas and don't do anything but drive deserted highways I don't understand the vast differences in our mileages. BTW...1 have 3.21 rear end too

I do live in Ga and only have had this vehicle in the heat of the summer. Perhaps with some cooler temps I'll see an improvement
You're not doing anything wrong. I get in the low- to mid-15s overall hand calculated (which is about .4 mpg less than what the dashboard tells me). Sure I can get on the highway, have MDS kick in on the flats, and see 28 mpg instantaneous but at the end of the day (tank) I'm in the 15s. Sure I'd love to get the best mileage possible but if it was that much of a priority I wouldn't have a V8 truck that weighs almost 3 tons.

So much plays into the differences (elevation, road conditions, traffic, hills, weather, fuel, truck options and packages, driving style, etc.) that it's hard to really compare to anyone else. In the winter you will feel more power as the colder temps mean denser air which means more oxygen in the cylinder which means more fuel which means more bang. Summer fuel and winter fuel are different so you may or may not see more miles per tank in colder weather.

IMO as long as your truck is running well I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy your truck. Personally I get what I get and unless it dips to something really low then I'm not worrying about it.

I'm coming from the diesel world for the last 11 years so I'm relearning things. I will say that similar diesel trucks compared to my last one some were getting 13 mpg and some were getting 18 mpg. When the winter blend of diesel was at the pump you lost at least 1 mpg until summer blend came back.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm gonna start a troll party here but I've posted in other threads where I have seen over 30mpg on short 50-70 mile trips at 60mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Todd C

Todd C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're not doing anything wrong. I get in the low- to mid-15s overall hand calculated (which is about .4 mpg less than what the dashboard tells me). Sure I can get on the highway, have MDS kick in on the flats, and see 28 mpg instantaneous but at the end of the day (tank) I'm in the 15s. Sure I'd love to get the best mileage possible but if it was that much of a priority I wouldn't have a V8 truck that weighs almost 3 tons.

So much plays into the differences (elevation, road conditions, traffic, hills, weather, fuel, truck options and packages, driving style, etc.) that it's hard to really compare to anyone else. In the winter you will feel more power as the colder temps mean denser air which means more oxygen in the cylinder which means more fuel which means more bang. Summer fuel and winter fuel are different so you may or may not see more miles per tank in colder weather.

IMO as long as your truck is running well I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy your truck. Personally I get what I get and unless it dips to something really low then I'm not worrying about it.

I'm coming from the diesel world for the last 11 years so I'm relearning things. I will say that similar diesel trucks compared to my last one some were getting 13 mpg and some were getting 18 mpg. When the winter blend of diesel was at the pump you lost at least 1 mpg until summer blend came back.

Great point. If I were that concerned then I shouldn't own this vehicle! I have just been surprised at some of the mileages that have been reported

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
you will take a hit in stop and go traffic because of the very low 1st gear in the 8spd...4.56. I just got back from a trip out west and saw 21.6 all afternoon one day. I only use 87 but could only get 85 in colorado and bought some 88 no ethanol in wyoming or idaho..cant remember. never had any trouble using 87 around here in texas even in high temps pulling a trailer.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I mostly used 87 in my old 2017 Sport, for this new one, i've only used 89. Whats the savings per tank? $10-15? I stay on 89 for a while.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If the engine takes 87 Octane then that is what you should use. If it takes 93 Octane and you put in 87 Octane gas the computer will retard the engine timing to compensate and so you will lose some power and fewer miles per gallon. With my coupe's engine that was higher compression and was designed with 93 Octane fuel in mind, going to 89 Octane cut my fuel economy enough to where I saved very little with the chearper gas. So I would put in premium one time and the next time I would put in 89 Octane fuel.

Octane is a measure of pre-knock or pre-combustion resistance and nothing more. If you were to mix 5 gallons of 87 Octane fuel with 5 gallons of 93 Octane fuel the end result is not going to be 90 Octane but something closer to 92 Octane.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Long time GM owner here (hoping to get a RAM soon though) I believe most V8 engines these days need 89 or above, especially with the higher compression they use these days. Sure they'll run on 87, but lower MPG and some even ping quite a bit on this octane. I run 89 in my '15 Silverado as much as I can. I see a heavy MPG loss with 87, and the pinging is crazy.

I'll also state something here that I read on a forum about an engine needing 91 octane, though the owners book stated it would work on 87 too. That post stated, that on an average of 12,000 miles per year the difference in gas cost would be about $200. Who wouldn't want to spend a few extra dollars on their vehicle to make it run better? We all would. So a few extra bucks to get better MPG and overall performance is worth every penny.

KBoltz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Since we can get 93 at Sam's for the exact same price as 89 octane everywhere else, that's what the wife puts into her truck. She is averaging 19.2 mpg while the DIC shows 19.4 mpg. I think that is phenomenal after her Chevy 2500 Gasser got 13 mpg average.

eithkrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have experience with different Brands of gas providers?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I don't have any hard data but my truck seems to like 76 (89 octane) and Costco (91 octane). At 18K miles I've tested a few brands and run a few tanks to see what my truck likes.

I would say that it feels peppier but that is probably my mind (although the 91 octane theoretically would allow more advanced timing). I do get consistently better overall MPG for the tank on both of those (.5+ MPG or so).

Klink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know they recommend 89 for mine but Costco is 87 or 91. I put the 91 in and almost seems like I lost mpg compared to the 89 at Chevron. Maybe it’s just me but I did read that Chevron is better gas. Idk, with prices the way they are I like Costco because it’s cheapest in town. Any thoughts on 89 vs 91 for these 5.7 Hemi engines? Only had the truck a month and is the first time owning a Hemi. Believe me, you can’t worry about mpg too much, I traded a 4 cylinder that got 37mpg in for this. lol.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to get the best mileage with Shell and that's both 87 or 89 but I rarely buy gas there because they're noticeably more expensive than the off brand stations. Personally I notice more of a difference in name brand vs off brand gasolines than I do octanes.

Klink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that it’***** or miss sometimes. My wife’s car is a suv and gets the same gas mileage as my truck. It’s a v6 and you would think it would get better.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Any thoughts on 89 vs 91 for these 5.7 Hemi engines?
This is my first RAM too. I have read many that just pump in 87 octane. The owner's manual recommends 89 octane but that you can run 87. 91 is overkill unless you have a tune for that but there is a knock sensor so the timing will automatically adjust for what you pump in. If Costco carried 89 I would do that but since their 91 is cheaper than 89 just about everywhere else it's hard to pass up.

As tidefan1967 said, there's more of a difference between brands than octane, especially off-brand. I don't remember which forum I read it in but they put more importance on where you get gas than what octane you get. Fuel additives make a difference and you have to meet a specific standard to be considered Top Tier (which Costco is).

I'm coming from an older diesel that would drink just about anything you put in the tank so filled up at the cheapest around and put in my own additives. Now that I have my RAM I'm a little more selective what my HEMI drinks and will only stick to Top Tier stations, which the cheaper stations are not.

Most of the major brands are Top Tier (Shell, Chevron, Costco, etc.) but a full list is here: https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

Klink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have used off brand stations for ever but lately Chevron and Costco has been my choice.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
New 2019 Ram Bighorn, I’ve been using 89 just because that is what’s recommended and I want to drive this thing for the next 100 years. Also just did my first oil change at 1000 miles to switch to Pennzoil Platinum fully synthetic. Getting around 16 around town and 21-22 on the highway going between 65-70mph.

Last edited:

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 4th gen owner here, FWIW, I almost exclusively use Costco gas, and go back and forth between 87 and 91. Truck feels a bit smoother with 91. My rig is a 4x4 Crew Cab with 3.92 rear end. Around town I range between 15 and 16.5 and on relatively level interstate I can eek out 19.

Seems to drop by about 1 MPG with the winter gas especially when cold out. Oddly enough last February when a snow storm shut the Seattle area down I got 16 cruising at 45 ish on the deserted freeways in 4 Auto.

Been as low as 9.5 when pulling the 2 horse trailer...

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Brand new truck.....400 miles on it. Book does not mention octane....says use high detergent gas. Dealer says use 87....full tank when picked up. Filled up at Cosco with 87. On our two lane roads....going 50 to 55mph....getting 21+mpg. I am very satisfied with that! I have the 3.92 rear end....set up for towing.