What kind of numbers do you show for vitals...2013 RAM 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AR RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Big Horn 4x4
Hey guys...what kind of numbers are you showing for Coolant, Transmission and Engine Oil for your 5.7 engine.
I have a 2013 RAM 5.7 4x4. My numbers:
Coolant = 203
Transmission = 192
Engine Oil = 219
These numbers fluctuate a few degrees over several minutes but only by 3 or 4 degrees.
This is for a 70 degree day after driving on the interstate for 1 hour. No load in truck or towing. Just cruising along.
Are your readings close to mine??

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys...what kind of numbers are you showing for Coolant, Transmission and Engine Oil for your 5.7 engine.
I have a 2013 RAM 5.7 4x4. My numbers:
Coolant = 203
Transmission = 192
Engine Oil = 219
These numbers fluctuate a few degrees over several minutes but only by 3 or 4 degrees.
This is for a 70 degree day after driving on the interstate for 1 hour. No load in truck or towing. Just cruising along.
Are your readings close to mine??
95% of your trans temp is oil from the converter. That number isn't too bad considering. Coolant is spot-on for emissions. Engine oil could use an external cooler.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Pretty much what I see except transmission temps hang around 140F. The thermostat bypass doodad (caulk04's device) I installed keeps the transmission operating temps much lower.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those are right in line with what the factory intended. Nothing wrong with your oil temp at all, I don't even give oil a second look until 240+.

The trans will generally run between 180 and 195, a little variation in the factory thermostats. As mentioned, I do offer a part that easily eliminates the thermostat if you want the trans to warm up slower and run much cooler.

OP
OP
AR RAM

AR RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Big Horn 4x4
Those are right in line with what the factory intended. Nothing wrong with your oil temp at all, I don't even give oil a second look until 240+.

The trans will generally run between 180 and 195, a little variation in the factory thermostats. As mentioned, I do offer a part that easily eliminates the thermostat if you want the trans to warm up slower and run much cooler.
Yes...I would like to get more information. I see on your page to use the private message page...not sure what that means. I'm pretty good on working on things...just put all new shocks/leveling kit and front suspension parts on my truck. What are the steps to install your part? Cost? Process to purchase, etc.?

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes...I would like to get more information. I see on your page to use the private message page...not sure what that means. I'm pretty good on working on things...just put all new shocks/leveling kit and front suspension parts on my truck. What are the steps to install your part? Cost? Process to purchase, etc.?
Tap on his name on his post and then tap "start conversation." That will get you in contact with him here.

I installed the bypass a few months ago. It wasn't too bad of a job. As usual, having the appropriate tools is necessary. There are a few threads here that discuss the install process and results.

Here's a good thread announcing the introduction of the bypass:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/8hp70-heater-bypass.172998/

Last edited:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That idea is questionable.Been a few guys who run oil temps under 200,and when they send their oil samples in,there's never any water/moisture content in the oil
Right? Water evaporates at room temp too...

It's a bit of a silly sentiment to think oil temps under 212 will result in watery oil.

JustaTradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Using your same environmental conditions, my numbers are :
Coolant = 205
Transmission = 179
Engine Oil = 212
Only real difference is the tran temp, and I don't have the bypass.

JustaTradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Using your same environmental conditions, my numbers are :
Coolant = 205
Transmission = 179
Engine Oil = 212
Only real difference is the tran temp, and I don't have the bypass.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You don't want engine oil too cool, over 212 will help remove moisture from the oil.

What about the diffs, and the transmission? Those temps are usually below 212 and most change that fluid like once a lifetime if that. I'm not worried about oil that is changed every 5 to 7k.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What about the diffs, and the transmission? Those temps are usually below 212 and most change that fluid like once a lifetime if that. I'm not worried about oil that is changed every 5 to 7k.
The tranny & diffs don't have moisture being added to them from blowbye from combustion

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That idea is questionable.Been a few guys who run oil temps under 200,and when they send their oil samples in,there's never any water/moisture content in the oil
Combustion does create moisture which can condense inside an engine before it hits operating temp. Having oil above 212 insures that the water will vaporize and get removed by the PCV system as many on this forum find in their catch cans.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Combustion does create moisture which can condense inside an engine before it hits operating temp. Having oil above 212 insures that the water will vaporize and get removed by the PCV system as many on this forum find in their catch cans.
The only time you get any real amount of combustion by products in the crankcase is on a really high milege engine with lots of blowby past the rings,or an engine that see's very short run times in temperatures well below freezing,and even that is questionable. If moisture was a problem in the crankcase,you'd see it showing up in oil analysis's,and i don't remember seeing anybody on here that had water/moisture in their oil samples.
Burning gas in a cylinder does create a water byproduct,but the majority of that goes straight out past the exhuast valve and condenses in the exhuast system,with not really much of it ending up in the crankcase.
If you factor in hotter oil has alot thinner film strength,and doesn't provide as much cushion or cling to hotter engine parts,i think it's a trade off with more points going to having a cooler oil,that'll cling to cam lobes better.
There's a reason Ma Mopar runs seperate stand alone engine oil coolers on their hi-po 6.2's,and that's to reduce oil temps,and provide better oil protection to the engine.The 6.2's have the lowest number of issues with cams and lifters of all the hemi's,and i think that might have alot to do with the oil temps provided by their oil coolers