What Rocket Scientist Designed This ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We just lifted the front of the cab about 6 inches on my buddy's Ford super duty. Removed all but the rear cab mount bolts (loosened those) and lifted the front of the cab with an engine hoist to get to the turbo piping. Wasn't too bad actually, but it was still a lot of work making sure nothing got damaged during the lift.
Thats the diesel, my 7.3 Godzilla gas doesn't have all of that turbo crap...and cost almost $10,000 less that the diesel

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All vehicles are designed to be built the most efficient and least expensive way, not to be repaired. If they took repair process into account it would add to the cost of the vehicle.

Yup, most vehicle chassis are assembled before the body or bed gets dropped. Mfg'ers are not concerned with the inconvenience of it coming apart again.

Russ

clifhngr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't knock your Rams guys! After being a RAM owner since 2012, (owned 4 between 2012 and 2020, between myself and company) I went back to Ford........big mistake! RAM is the better truck!!
Thanks for the input. We all need to be reminded sometimes that it could always be worse and other brands
have their issues as well. Sure would like to see them change the oil filter though..

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that filter is loco. I've had several rides in the past where the filter was a PIA to deal with. Back then, it was < $100 to add a dual remote filter pad that took full sized FL-1A filters complete with hoses and fittings. I'm too old for that now... :disgust:

Russ

palmr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to change the rear shocks on my 2013 Ram 1500 Truck and I couldn't believe the design of the top mounting brackets. I actually had to buy a cheap 21mm combination wrench cut it in half and then put a 45 degree bend in the ends just to be able to access the inside nut for the Shocks. I think the Designers must sit up nights thinking of ways to drive us crazy.
haha yea all the 4th gens ive seen are like this. Get a crowsfoot wrench for 13$ and ur good to go. Saved me from buying and destroying a 23$ wrench.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Engineers design components based on a bean counters requirements.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Now wait a minute, I'm a retired engineer. Of course I thought of future maintenance needs since I grew up on a farm, and do most of my simple home and auto repairs. Does make you think though that they don't include a mechanic during the design process.

Bruce Robinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Stick to the easy things like mowing the grass and taking the trash out. Let the mechanic bust their knuckles and get dirt on their face.

Elzie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now wait a minute, I'm a retired engineer. Of course I thought of future maintenance needs since I grew up on a farm, and do most of my simple home and auto repairs. Does make you think though that they don't include a mechanic during the design process.
I've been an Industrial and Manufacturing mechanic for over forty years now. One company I worked for included me in all the product design meetings for that very reason. I was responsible for design and build of all production equipment as well as to guide the design team of manufacturing feasibility of design changes. Great group of people. I ended up on eight of the patents :) One of the benefits is exactly what you pointed out: I got to ensure that any repairs or changes would be easier to complete.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It wasnt an engineer, it was a focus group member who self identified as an engineer. Don 't worry though, ***** also self identifies as a pharmacist, so the next time you pop your meds the game is over anyhow, so why worry.
This

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Stick to the easy things like mowing the grass and taking the trash out. Let the mechanic bust their knuckles and get dirt on their face.
Not a bad concept really

But it sounds expensive

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It wasnt an engineer, it was a focus group member who self identified as an engineer. Don 't worry though, ***** also self identifies as a pharmacist, so the next time you pop your meds the game is over anyhow, so why worry.
This sensership ***** is getting a bit ridiculous. Its like watching a "sensered" movie.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my last capacity I managed the serviceability process for my company. When developing a new product (model) my team worked closely with engineering to develop service repair and diagnostic strategies to ensure as low a repair time as possible. Since each technician in the field had a standardized set of tools issued to them, engineering was compelled to ensure the design was field compatible (tools, training, logistics).

If engineering wanted or was forced to a design that did not meet field requirements, engineering was required to absorb the cost of any new tools for the field and fund the field staff for any extra service time.

This almost always prevented unusual field service issues. I happen to know that this process is alive and well at the auto manufacturers.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 89207 miles.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Nylon timing gear on a Chevy 350 spark plugs that you have to lift the motor to get to. A resistor that regularly blows every mfg made some mistakes. Transmission that blows up at170k kms these trucks like all other trucks have their bad traits. You pay your money you take your chances