What should I do first? Need help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Waterkotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, I picked up a 75' Dodge W200 for a good price. Has a dump bed and plow. I drove it home yesterday and it ran rough. Spit and sputtered. Where do I start on it? Should I put new plugs and wires, all new fluids? It has the 318 on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If it's been sitting then at least change the engine oil, but that will not be the issue. Checking the timing would probably be my next thing as that could cause it to run rough if its out and check the cap for cracks, heavy wear etc. Then carb would be my next thing to check over. @crazzywolfie is one of the more knowledgeable guys on this forum when it comes to this era of trucks. I always try to start with the cheapest guesses first

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
new plugs wire/distributor cap would be a good place to start. there is a good chance the carb may need a rebuild if it spends too much time sitting. probably best to see about getting t running better first before changing out all the fluids.

OP
OP
Ryan Waterkotte

Ryan Waterkotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great thank you both for giving me some feedback. Anything and everything helps. I'll let you know how things are looking once I get the new tune up kit from RockAuto. Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have many more questions.

OP
OP
Ryan Waterkotte

Ryan Waterkotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great thank you both for giving me some feedback. Anything and everything helps. I'll let you know how things are looking once I get the new tune up kit from RockAuto. Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have many more questions.

OP
OP
Ryan Waterkotte

Ryan Waterkotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

OP
OP
Ryan Waterkotte

Ryan Waterkotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another quick question. What type of spark plug should I go with? Seems that a lot of sites are saying go with the copper plugs because of the year with it using less voltage.

aidmyaim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Another quick question. What type of spark plug should I go with? Seems that a lot of sites are saying go with the copper plugs because of the year with it using less voltage.

I second whAt the sites are saying for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Does a 75 have points/condenser or electronic ignition? That would be a high pri check as well. I had an old 351W in my boat with points and I bought a (fairly inexpensive) electronic ignition kit that replaced the points and it ran a ton better afterwords.

**Edit**

Also, I'm guessing you have one coil, so I'd check that as well. Did it run bad at higher RPM's only or lower or the same across the board.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i usually go with the NGK V power ones. pretty sure they are copper core but they have always worked good for me.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Find some pictures of various kinds of spark plug fouling. Inspect the old plugs as you take them out and note the cylinder # on anything that looks questionable so you have it for later reference.