What to expect going from 1500 to HD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aggie86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For your use a 1500 hemi is a better all around vehicle than the heavy duty. Heck, I know ranchers that have 600 stock cows and 5000 acres and they do fine with a half ton. Then again, I’m not one to tell someone else how to spend their money.

copcarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just went from a ‘17 1500 quad cab Express to my new 3500 CCLB 4x4 gas. I never thought about the cost of the license plate every year. The old truck was $82 a year for the PA reg, the new truck was a whopping $353 due to the GVWR being over 11,000 lbs.

I also need 1.25 parking spots at Home Depot as the truck is too long to fit in one spot. The turning radius is also waaay bigger than the 1500.

Other than that I’m glad I made the move.

Attachments

• 70E62763-56D3-4CB4-B8DE-D99C96EABD8C.jpeg
    70E62763-56D3-4CB4-B8DE-D99C96EABD8C.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 8

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I just went from a ‘17 1500 quad cab Express to my new 3500 CCLB 4x4 gas. I never thought about the cost of the license plate every year. The old truck was $82 a year for the PA reg, the new truck was a whopping $353 due to the GVWR being over 11,000 lbs.

I also need 1.25 parking spots at Home Depot as the truck is too long to fit in one spot. The turning radius is also waaay bigger than the 1500.

Other than that I’m glad I made the move.
yep. western PA here. I pay about $182/year for my 2500 registration (10,000lb GVW).

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Here’s my $.985(due to inflation......
I brought home my 3500 drw, Cummins H.O. In may. It now has 4100 miles on it. Certainly not driven a lot, I bought it to tote my 5er and some other equipment. I upgraded from the 2500 Cummins. I do not regret it one bit. It’s what I wanted, and I don’t have to ever worry about having enough truck, being overweight/over limits. CDL holders know that if stopped, the line we always get,”you should know better” is used quite often as you receive a nice fine. I run the tires off my Ford ranger for my maintenance duties, and hop in the biggin just for a change. Once you have owned and driven the Cummins power, you usually are hooked. I thought about gas.......all of about 5 minutes. The shifting while towing drives me nuts. Cummins torque= none of that. Ultimately, it’s your money, buy what you want and can afford. Enjoy!

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP: recommend you stop by the dealer and ask what kind of issues they are seeing with any vehicle your buying. Ask about not using and following Mopar parts/interval recommendation for any diesel, it gets touchy for the warranty.

I agree the misinformation is very strong about the truth of the CTD. I was just speaking on personal experience owning an 18 CTD. I wish it wasn’t true.

Attachments

• 661F7C9D-66C0-41CB-B4AC-BAC5075B977C.jpeg
    661F7C9D-66C0-41CB-B4AC-BAC5075B977C.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 15

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my one and only Ram diesel brand new in 2004. We bought a big 5th wheel and needed more hauling grunt.

Pros: pulled like ****, would tow anything anywhere with no effort. Great mpg though diesel fuel was more expensive than gas.

Cons: maintenance costs were very high. Wife hated the smell of diesel exhaust in the house. Rode like crap. I froze the first winter because diesels don’t get warm. Someone told me there should be a plug in the grill to plug it in at night. Sure enough….was warm from then on. I plugged it in behind my tool box and forgot to unplug it twice. As I backed out of the garage I saw the cord pull my big toolbox over on to the floor….twice!! First time I changed the oil I could not get the filter off….was so tight I had to drive a screw driver through it and twist it off. But the canister completely ripped through, and I had to use a chisel to beat it off, 1/4 inch at a time. I put a 10 quart pan under the drain plug but the engine held 12 quarts. Holy crap, what a dammm mess.

So, after two years I hated the diesel, the truck ride, and the 5th wheel camper. I found a campground where I could park the rv year around. The next day I traded the diesel for a 1500 crew cab and never looked back.

Chirp08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Here’s what your looking at.

Diesel oil change $150, Gas $95
-Diesel has to be changed every 6 months 15k, gas can go 12 months 8k

No, once a year or 15k.

Diesel fuel filters $250 every 15k

$100 tops for both fuel filters right now when things are scarce. Normally half that.

DEF fluid-$20 every 3 fillups, DEF is very sensitive to contamination and heat as it will expire. If you contaminate it or use expired DEF it’s $1200 to fix it.

Depends on your driving, its $20 to fill the tank which you might do a couple times a year. Let's be real, you can fill $100 of diesel but can't afford $20 on occasion?

Diesel crank case vent every 60k, $600

$80 for the CCV filter and you can do this in 30 minutes with basic hand tools.

Diesel battery has 2 $500, gas has one $250.

Something you MIGHT have to do half a decade from now, but probably not until next decade.

Diesel fuel jellying in cold weather.

Not a thing unless you live in the arctic.

Diesel oil dilution due to fuel because short trips

Not a real thing.

Diesel extended warmup

Slower to warm up sure, but the truck is drivable.

Diesel plugging in the block heater

Not a real thing.

Diesel eats tires due to the weight

Not a real thing. Proper HD tires are capable of 2-3x+ the axle weight EACH.
Diesel in 2500 reduced payload and capacity

Due to how the regulations and ratings work sure, but the truck itself can easily do more. You act as if guys don't exceed the capabilities of their 1500s constantly.

Diesel when you fill it up you can over fill and it will make a mess when you park it pouring on the ground from the vent tube

So don't overfill it..

Gas you can get the unlimited mileage Mopar warranty. Diesel you can not.

Learn to turn a wrench.

Congrats on spewing a bunch of random **** you found googling that affects 1% of owners.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No, once a year or 15k.

$100 tops for both fuel filters right now when things are scarce. Normally half that.

Depends on your driving, its $20 to fill the tank which you might do a couple times a year. Let's be real, you can fill $100 of diesel but can't afford $20 on occasion?

$80 for the CCV filter and you can do this in 30 minutes with basic hand tools.

Something you MIGHT have to do half a decade from now, but probably not until next decade.

Not a thing unless you live in the arctic.

Not a real thing.

Slower to warm up sure, but the truck is drivable.

Not a real thing.

Not a real thing. Proper HD tires are capable of 2-3x+ the axle weight EACH.

Due to how the regulations and ratings work sure, but the truck itself can easily do more. You act as if guys don't exceed the capabilities of their 1500s constantly.

So don't overfill it..

Learn to turn a wrench.

Congrats on spewing a bunch of random **** you found googling that affects 1% of owners.

So true.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL!!!
But really, there is no block heater?

Where is everyone buy these cheap “Mopar” fuel filters? I spend $130-150 on just fuel filters.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys! Wow, lots of different responses here and I appreciate all of them!

Some other things I’m considering: I bought my 2012 used in 2014 with just under 30k miles. Fast forward to today, and I’m at 49k miles. So, it’s not like a drive the truck a whole lot to begin with.

I did read up on the payload capacity different in the 2500 between the two engines. I think I’m leaning more towards the 6.4 at this point. I think it makes more sense since I won’t be towing much at all (for now), and won’t be putting a whole lot of miles on it. Again, I’m not planning on ordering this for a year or two yet (unless something major happens where I’m able to).

I really appreciate everyone’s input on this. All of you have been really helpful! Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Adam

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
LOL!!!
LOL!!!

LOL!!!

My son bought a 2021 2500 Cummins a few months ago. All Cummins come with the block heater but the plug for it is optional. He had them install one as part of the deal. Doesn't really need it here in western PA but he was working in western North Dakota and western Minnesota where it was sub 0 quite often so wanted it in case he got sent back there again for work.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
I’ve owned a couple Cummins now and they definitely don’t ride like a 1500 but whenever you put a load behind them I love to feel the power. I bought a 2015 Cummins dually with the HO and aisin transmission with 100,000 miles and sold it a couple weeks ago with 190,000 miles on and never did anything but changed oil and tires. Current truck is a 2015 2500 Longhorn Cummins that I bought with 104000 miles. Already put over 5k miles on it in about a month and no issues. About half of my miles are pulling a load. Cummins is all I run for the company and so far I haven’t had hardly any issues. I did have to change a water pump on a 2012 Cummins with 225,000 miles but other than that just regular maintenance.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For your use a 1500 hemi is a better all around vehicle than the heavy duty. Heck, I know ranchers that have 600 stock cows and 5000 acres and they do fine with a half ton. Then again, I’m not one to tell someone else how to spend their money.
I promise you there is a much bigger truck on that farm than a 1500 if they have 600 cows.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I am on about 4 different forums. And there are a lot of truck owners who do not even know how to put air in their tires.

So a guy gives the cost of stuff to be done by a dealership and the comeback is how much cheaper you can do it yourself.

Very interesting.

After shaking my head many numerous times at all these back and forth agreements...Trucks Guys are the minority...you need to understand that.

I still love my 99 V10 NV4500 the best.
And I have owned both the mighty Cummins and the 6.4l Hemi.

My only comment is...for me...the Cummins is gone...the Gas Mopars remain.

20140424_123042.jpg

Man does Mother Mopar make some great trucks.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A little update: So, it looks like I know what I'm wanting and when I'm going to get it. If all things go well, I'm hoping to order my 2500 to have it by June 2024. I've decided to go with the 6.4 HEMI. I wanted to thank everyone for their input on here. I'm really proud to be a part of this community and wish I had more time to spend on here. I'll probably be on a lot more once I get my new one. Thank again, all!

Adam

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You'll going to love it...exept the ride quality if you're used to the 1500. I've been driving 2500s for nearly 20 years, and on my second Ram 2500. Great truck, but much stiffer ride until it's under a load.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You'll going to love it...exept the ride quality if you're used to the 1500. I've been driving 2500s for nearly 20 years, and on my second Ram 2500. Great truck, but much stiffer ride until it's under a load.
I haven't daily driven anything less than a 2500/F250 in decades...I am still impressed with how soft the ride is in my wife's 1500.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here’s what your looking at.

Diesel oil change $150, Gas $95
-Diesel has to be changed every 6 months 15k, gas can go 12 months 8k

Diesel fuel filters $250 every 15k

DEF fluid-$20 every 3 fillups, DEF is very sensitive to contamination and heat as it will expire. If you contaminate it or use expired DEF it’s $1200 to fix it.

Diesel crank case vent every 60k, $600

Diesel battery has 2 $500, gas has one $250.

Diesel fuel jellying in cold weather.

Diesel oil dilution due to fuel because short trips

Diesel extended warmup

Diesel plugging in the block heater

Diesel eats tires due to the weight

Diesel in 2500 reduced payload and capacity

Diesel when you fill it up you can over fill and it will make a mess when you park it pouring on the ground from the vent tube

Gas you can get the unlimited mileage Mopar warranty. Diesel you can not.
I'm sorry but I need to address most of these as they're not exactly accurate....

Diesel oil changes (for me). $95 using Shell Rotella-T and the Cummins oil filter (done at a shop). Sure it costs more, but you change it half as often.

Fuel filters - $150 (offsets the cost of replacing spark plugs)

Crank case vent - $100-$150 (genuine Fleetguard/Cummins) and about 30 minutes of time.

Batteries - agreed. It is what is is.

#2 Diesel fuel doesn't gel until around the 14 degree F mark. Not a concern unless you live in a climate where this is a prolonged temperature. Even then they make additives for the fuel.

Fuel/oil dilution isn't a big thing unless you have a cracked injector, damaged o-ring, or something to that effect. A little (I think below 5%) is acceptable. Keep your oil changed on time and it isn't a concern. It has nothing to do with taking short trips. That's a myth.

Diesels don't require extended warmups. Give it the same amount of time you give a gasser and go.

You don't NEED to plug in a block heater unless you live in an extreme cold climate. A lot of the Cummins engines don't even come with the heater cord but all come with the heater pre-installed. The cord (if you needed it) is less than $20.

Diesels don't eat tires because of the weight. The tires are rated for the weight. Rear tires wear more if there is a constant heavy load on them as they would with ANY vehicle towing.

I agree with the 2500 diesel payload/capacity comment. The coil spring suspension is a big culprit of that.

Diesel full will only overfill if the pump isn't working properly. I've had as many gas pumps overfill as diesel pumps. Has nothing to do with the truck itself.

This is the kind of thing that scare people away from diesels and a lot of it just isn't true.

Last edited:

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think people get more afraid of the emissions crap they put on them these days. They usually cost more to operate but motor wise will outlast a gasser in the long run if maintenance is kept up on. Cant let a diesel just sit most of its life because your just asking for problems. Gotta work them

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ram putting coil springs in the 2500 did it for me. Doesn't ride like a dump truck like the Ford and GM do with leaf springs. Yes, still stiffer than the 1500 with coil springs, but 1500 squatted too much and I don't want air bags up here in the north country. They've had icing problems regardless of having an air dryer. Plus the cost of the system, you'd have a 2500 anyway.