What to expect going from 1500 to HD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sorry but I need to address most of these as they're not exactly accurate....

Diesel oil changes (for me). $95 using Shell Rotella-T and the Cummins oil filter (done at a shop). Sure it costs more, but you change it half as often.

Fuel filters - $150 (offsets the cost of replacing spark plugs)

Crank case vent - $100-$150 (genuine Fleetguard/Cummins) and about 30 minutes of time.

Batteries - agreed. It is what is is.

#2 Diesel fuel doesn't gel until around the 14 degree F mark. Not a concern unless you live in a climate where this is a prolonged temperature. Even then they make additives for the fuel.

Fuel/oil dilution isn't a big thing unless you have a cracked injector, damaged o-ring, or something to that effect. A little (I think below 5%) is acceptable. Keep your oil changed on time and it isn't a concern. It has nothing to do with taking short trips. That's a myth.

Diesels don't require extended warmups. Give it the same amount of time you give a gasser and go.

You don't NEED to plug in a block heater unless you live in an extreme cold climate. A lot of the Cummins engines don't even come with the heater cord but all come with the heater pre-installed. The cord (if you needed it) is less than $20.

Diesels don't eat tires because of the weight. The tires are rated for the weight. Rear tires wear more if there is a constant heavy load on them as they would with ANY vehicle towing.

I agree with the 2500 diesel payload/capacity comment. The coil spring suspension is a big culprit of that.

Diesel full will only overfill if the pump isn't working properly. I've had as many gas pumps overfill as diesel pumps. Has nothing to do with the truck itself.

This is the kind of thing that scare people away from diesels and a lot of it just isn't true.
LMAO, I wish it wasn’t true!

Attachments

• IMG_3925.png
    IMG_3925.png
    635.1 KB · Views: 16

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
LMAO, I wish it wasn’t true!
Well lucky for you, it isn't completely. :)

I've owned 2, and am currently searching for my 3rd now. Before these was a 6.4 Powerstroke. If you want an expensive truck to own that's it. The Cummins is marginally expensive at best and quite honestly I've owned a few gassers that were more expensive to maintain than these.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You'll going to love it...exept the ride quality if you're used to the 1500. I've been driving 2500s for nearly 20 years, and on my second Ram 2500. Great truck, but much stiffer ride until it's under a load.
Being that I've been driving in my lifted 1500 since 2016, I'm used to a "rougher" ride. I'm sure the stock 2500 will be smoother then my current ride. lol!

Adam

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks again for all the input, guys! The only issue I'm running into now is getting dealers to give me a number on my lifted 1500 for trade. I'll post in another thread, but if anyone has any recommendations on selling a lifted vehicle, I'd appreciate it!

Adam

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Being that I've been driving in my lifted 1500 since 2016, I'm used to a "rougher" ride. I'm sure the stock 2500 will be smoother then my current ride. lol!
I moved from a '19 1500 to a '22 PW, which has softer springs than the normal 2500s. Definitely a difference in ride quality, just saying.
Don't regret it, though, it's a beast.
And the mpg dropped from 19 to 14, but I guess you already knew that.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I moved from a '19 1500 to a '22 PW, which has softer springs than the normal 2500s. Definitely a difference in ride quality, just saying.
Don't regret it, though, it's a beast.
And the mpg dropped from 19 to 14, but I guess you already knew that.
I know I'm not going to regret it at all. I've been wanting to get one since '21, but we had other things that needed done first. It just sucks how much they have gone up in price, plus higher interest rates and now the difficulty of trading in my current truck. Ugr!

Adam

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know I'm not going to regret it at all. I've been wanting to get one since '21, but we had other things that needed done first. It just sucks how much they have gone up in price, plus higher interest rates and now the difficulty of trading in my current truck. Ugr!

Adam
There should be a line around the block of people champing at the bit to buy your truck. When I bought this RAM, I sold my 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 and as soon as word got out I was selling it I had to beat them away with a stick.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There should be a line around the block of people champing at the bit to buy your truck. When I bought this RAM, I sold my 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 and as soon as word got out I was selling it I had to beat them away with a stick.
No kidding?! I'm thinking the best way for me to sell this thing and get the most money I can out of it is to sell it myself and not try to trade it in. The problem is, I'm not looking to buy my new one until June of next year. A lot can happen between now and then, so I'm just not sure what I want to do yet.

Adam

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
and get the most money I can out of it is to sell it myself and not try to trade it in.
Depends, really. I don't know how it is done in PA, but down here you only pay the 5% vehicle tax on the difference after trade-in. Meaning you would have to get 5% more on a private sale just to break even. And in my experience, modifications usually don't increase the sales value of a vehicle, even though you paid good money for them. Rather the opposite, you'll need to find someone who wants or at least accepts them.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No kidding?! I'm thinking the best way for me to sell this thing and get the most money I can out of it is to sell it myself and not try to trade it in. The problem is, I'm not looking to buy my new one until June of next year. A lot can happen between now and then, so I'm just not sure what I want to do yet.

Adam

While this is true that a lot can happen between now and then, I was pleasantly surprised at how much we were offered for trade on my wife's F150 with the small Ecoboost in it. I want to say they gave us something close to $30k for a 2019 with 60k on the clock...and they had it sold within a week.

They gave us $35k for my '17 Wagon with 102k on the clock, and once it was able to be sold had it sold in about 2 weeks.

Trucks aren't sitting long still...but as you say, anything can happen between now and then. Wish you luck either way.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Great thread guys! Im currently in a 2020 1500 Laramie with 65k miles. Im looking at a 2021 2500 Laramie w/ Cummins and 24k miles.
I have a jeep, ranger, (2) kids 4-wheelers that I pull. Longest trip so far was ~300miles up to Arkansas this Summer. I also have an offroad park about 45 minutes from our house.
The 1500 has done well, but I havent pulled a trailer big enough for the all the vehicles. Its either been the jeep or the 4-wheelers, not both. A proper trailer is next after a truck.
Ive never owned a deisel other than my 40hp tractor, so I cant offer much. Im **** about maintenance, so learning and working on one seems more interesting than intimidating.
Im talking to the dealership now about the truck at that link below. Its up to them at this point if they want get within my budget. Gotta love the "lets make a deal" game!
First pic is my current loadout - minus jeep, its too big to fit on a narrow trailer. Second pic, the real toy... anyone got a 6.0L LS and 4L80E?

Attachments

• AR Trip.jpg
    AR Trip.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Point&Shoot7 (2).jpg
    Point&Shoot7 (2).jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 7