What to expect going from 1500 to HD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys (and gals)!!

It’s been a LONG time since I’ve been on here. I was really active after purchasing our 2012 Ram 1500 in 2014. I’ve loved my truck and have really worked hard to make it the way I’ve wanted a truck. But after breaking ground on our new home in 2018, I haven’t had much time to be on here. I’m in the process of finishing a detached garage which will house my current Ram. I’ll post some pics of the house and new garage.

Anyways, I’m now looking at stepping into an HD with a Cummins. I’ve never owned a diesel truck before. I have operated them as a volunteer firefighter but have never owned/maintained one. So I figured I’d come on here and see what you guys could inform me on the pros/cons of owning a diesel.

Application: My wife and I have 11 acres and are thinking of owning horses. If I’m going to invest in a new truck in the future, I want to get something that I’ll have for many years. So I want to get a truck that will support our dreams/goals in the future. I don’t do a lot of towing at the moment but plan on doing a little bit here and there. I do some hauling every now and again with firewood, gravel, etc.

My ideal setup would be either a 2500 or 3500 Big Horn Night Edition. Sorry for the long post but am interested in your input. Thanks I’m advance!

Adam

Attachments

• BA6448F3-15D5-48C6-9AE8-956CBCB7E0EF.jpeg
    BA6448F3-15D5-48C6-9AE8-956CBCB7E0EF.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 35F7D5EA-FC7A-4221-B1D6-3F5952FE3A6F.jpeg
    35F7D5EA-FC7A-4221-B1D6-3F5952FE3A6F.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 0E402E01-C093-4929-84E5-D277AE2F00BF.jpeg
    0E402E01-C093-4929-84E5-D277AE2F00BF.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 47

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I upgraded from the 6.4 to the diesel and after owning the diesel I would never go back to gas regardless of the emissions nonsense. I have noticed however, the cost of maintenance has grown significantly.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always been told a diesel likes to be worked hard and often - I have never owned one though and doubtful I would as my truck can sit for months.
The Cummins will lower your payload significantly in a 2500 also.

Just 2 things to consider. Overall power, there just isn't any fair comparison between the 6.4 and cummins. The 6.4 now comes with the 8 speed trans which is a big plus over past years.

justtruckn

Reaction score
Ram Year
87 96 01
Engine
318 360 345
I've always been told a diesel likes to be worked hard and often - I have never owned one though and doubtful I would as my truck can sit for months.
The Cummins will lower your payload significantly in a 2500 also.

Just 2 things to consider. Overall power, there just isn't any fair comparison between the 6.4 and cummins. The 6.4 now comes with the 8 speed trans which is a big plus over past years.
i had a 1500 4X4 shorty as my dayly driver till a deer took her out. also had a oil burner ... and ya thay are a work truck,,, ya can hop them up but kinda defeats the reson for one for work.. i sold it and got a gas 2500HD and it works just fine for what i do, i do miss the up hill pulling power loaded tho but the down side of having one make it something im ok with. .. now for the hd stuff not engine related... wear a kidney belt. ir will beat ya to death, and if ya drop air in the tires it wil be better but still not ride like a 0500 and will be all over the road. i mydelf run 10 ply's with 35 pounds in them it helps but not much. just don't forget to put 70-80 pounds back in them if towing or ya will realy sway alot .. not a good thing going down hill with 5k on a trailer behind you. the good side.. ain't nothing ya can't pull if ya got the rite gears. and with weight in it she will ride like a full size mopar. i added a stand alone cooler for the trans with its own cooling fan. got it out of the rad altogether. with no probloms. just don't put in OD with a load on hills ... that don't like it no matter what mill ya running. i have had a few of them and kinda got them figured out. what works and what don't ... using a TB spacer is a good thing. cold air intake .. save your money and just pop a K&N filter in it. i used mine to do a PA to TX and back run and had no probloms at all even with the A/C running. got 13-15 empty .... 10-11 loaded ... 3 mpg in the up hill parts loaded got 35's on it so running OD up hill with 3.55 gears was a no go for the sake of the trans. if for work ... ain't anything else i woulf use ... dailydriver to go get milk .... not so much .... keep the 1500 for day to day use and lite work .... just my 2 cents.

matemike

Reaction score
Not really sure if this is a gas to diesel change or a 1500 to HD change discussion.

I would say if you get a Diesel to get the 3500 so you keep the payload number high. A cummins in a 2500 has a payload of around 2k pounds. (that's almost 1500 numbers) Also, if you get a 3500 get a SRW and regular output cummins, doesn't sound like you are preparing to tow a 18k pound tow hauler across country.
So, wow, that scenario sounds like a big jump going from a 1500 to a 3500 diesel. But you said you want longevity and a no question truck to do some work.

If you aren't ready for that big of a jump, get a 2500 with a Hemi. Still much more capable than you current truck. Payload will be around 2600-2800 depending on outfit of truck. If you get the big horn it should be closer to 2800. Maybe someone with a big horn will chime in.

Finally, if you want night edition and a couple other personal wants then I suggest to order one and wait for it. Presently on a Ram order tracker, big horns are getting ordered and delivered in less than two months. In some cases just 5 weeks. But in some other cases orders have been sitting stagnant for 6 months +. Those are mostly limiteds and laramies. But if you are going to keep the truck for a decade or more, it is worth it to not settle for something that will leave you wanting/wishing. Build one online, order it through your dealer and wait.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think a lot depends on how much you will actually be using the diesel for "work". I had a 95 with the 12 valve, and I loved it. The maintenance cost is higher with a diesel, especially with the newer ones, and of course more emission stuff. Diesel fuel is no longer cheaper, and the mileage isn't all that much better either. Diesels are not made for "short" trips either. Your off to a good start by asking questions instead of just jumping into one. Keep asking, and make a pro vs con checklist. At this point if I went back into a HD truck, I would most likely go with the 6.4 in either a 2500 or 3500. Just my thoughts, and I wish you well with your decision. And, your new place is beautiful, and with the Christmas lights it looks like a postcard.

OP
OP
Drummin4jc

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the replies, guys! It’s going to be a few years before I make the jump. Something things that are definite:

-I want to get into a 2500+
-I want the night edition with heated seats/wheel and LED lighting package.

At this point, I’m not sure on the engine. I know that diesels are much more costly to maintain but they sure hold their value. I guess for me; I’ll need to figure out the right truck for my application. I currently don’t run my 1500 all that much because of the gas prices and because it’s not exactly economical when I have a company car to zip around in.

I’ll definitely be doing some digging as to what I want out of this new truck. I appreciate the feedback and will be chiming in time to time. Thanks again!

Adam

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I upgraded from the 6.4 to the diesel and after owning the diesel I would never go back to gas regardless of the emissions nonsense. I have noticed however, the cost of maintenance has grown significantly.

I went the other way, from a 2018 CTD to a 6.4 and have no regrets.

One of the best decisions I have made.

spark plug

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500
Engine
6.4 HEMI
i just upgraded from a 2017 1500 4x4 5.7 to a 2022 2500 6.4. I got an SRT10 last year and needed a bigger truck to pull it to shows. I didnt need the diesel since im only pulling about 8k and not all the time. To me the 6.4, 8 speed, 4.10 gear combo makes for a more fun driving experience around town. My dad has a 2016 2500 cummins that i used last year to go to a show in Tn, and no doubt the cummins is absolutely beast with towing and better fuel milage. However, for me, due the weight and frequency of towing i couldnt justify the 10k more on initial cost plus the higher maint cost. The 6.4/4.10 is rated to tow just under 17k. Ive had this truck for a week now and i absolutely love it. I did the Laramie level b, night edition, 12" screen.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 21

justtruckn

Reaction score
Ram Year
87 96 01
Engine
318 360 345
just something to think on .... if ya get the oil burner get the 3500 .... if ya get it in the 2500 most of your GVW will be used up as with the 360 gas ya can still haul something with it. fyi .. i taged my hd2500 gas mill at 8200 gvw ... under the 10k fees $$$$$ but still can bring home a big dodge and not **** off DOT

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, are you getting a diesel for the halibut or because you need payload torque? If you plan to use heavy payload, you need the 3500 because the heavy Cummins engine takes away too much payload out of the 2500.

There's almost nothing you can't tow with this. You will have supreme confidence towing and hauling. Disclosure: I worked for Cummins for 22 years. I had a 1990 Ram 250 with the original Cummins B Series engine.

spark plug

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just pulled this from Ram website. The 6.4 4.10 is actually rated to tow MORE than the cummins. Although we all know the tq of the diesel is going to make the load seem a lot more effortless. And if you're pulling that much weight on a regular basis, the diesel is def going to be more efficient as well.

1639747059391.png

MrJerryg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
I went the other way and was sorry the day I did it. Now I'm back to a 3500 with no regrets. Seems everyone thinks the Hemi is great but it felt like a briggs and Stratton 6hp lawn mower engine compared to the Cummins.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Just pulled this from Ram website. The 6.4 4.10 is actually rated to tow MORE than the cummins. Although we all know the tq of the diesel is going to make the load seem a lot more effortless. And if you're pulling that much weight on a regular basis, the diesel is def going to be more efficient as well.

View attachment 479998
Look at the "axle ratio" and then research the difference in tow capacity.
Do a true "APPLES to APPLES" comparison!

Chirp08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Just a note on the maintenance costs, the interval for the Cummins is 15,000 miles while the Hemi is 6,000. So yes, it is more expensive but not as bad when you factor in you are doing it less often. Frankly, the maintenance cost is negligible if you can afford the truck itself.

The comment on 'not for short drives' is a myth as well that stems from the first attempts at modern diesel emissions '07-12. Modern DPF systems are well sorted and the computer is smart enough that you can drive the truck however you want and it will regen as needed.

I debated going from a 1500 to a 2500 for a while but ultimately I made the jump and have no regrets. It is a much more rough around the edges truck but you get used to it fast. If you make the jump your first mod should be swapping the front springs and all 4 shocks for Thuren or Carli's, they absolutely transforms the truck's ride and you won't sacrifice any capability.

Gazoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Gas 6.4L V8
I went from 1500 to 2022 2500 Gas 6.4L Laramie off road night edition and biggest issue I had is that it won’t fit in the garage! I didn't even think about height. It’s about 2” too tall. (No not going down to 15” rims), LOL.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s what your looking at.

Diesel oil change $150, Gas $95
-Diesel has to be changed every 6 months 15k, gas can go 12 months 8k

Diesel fuel filters $250 every 15k

DEF fluid-$20 every 3 fillups, DEF is very sensitive to contamination and heat as it will expire. If you contaminate it or use expired DEF it’s $1200 to fix it.

Diesel crank case vent every 60k, $600

Diesel battery has 2 $500, gas has one $250.

Diesel fuel jellying in cold weather.

Diesel oil dilution due to fuel because short trips

Diesel extended warmup

Diesel plugging in the block heater

Diesel eats tires due to the weight

Diesel in 2500 reduced payload and capacity

Diesel when you fill it up you can over fill and it will make a mess when you park it pouring on the ground from the vent tube

Gas you can get the unlimited mileage Mopar warranty. Diesel you can not.

ZB39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ISB
Fuel filters are $55 to $75 depending on where you buy. Change every 30K miles

Oil change every 15K or ONE year

Full tank of DEF will last about 5K miles depending on how you drive and what your doing. Pump it at truck stop
cheap and easy.

I've never had fuel jelly even in -17F. Warm up is same as gas. block heater, tires, fuel mess, is wrong.

I have had gas and cummins since 1996. I currently own a 2018 5500 cummins and a 2021 5500 cummins.

Gas trucks are OK, But the power of the cummins is intoxicating. Once you try it, your hooked. There is so much

misinformation on the web, it's crazy. There are millions of cummins out there every day doing there thing with zero issues. my .02

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
holy ****.. the misinformation here is amazing… I just changed the oil (3 gallons) (synthetic), fuel filters (mopar) (2), oil filter (mopar) (1), air filter (wix) (1). For less than 225$.

I have owned the 6.4 and I can tell you there is literally no comparison when it comes to power and reliability. The Cummins will still be running when that 6.4 is in the junk yard. And that’s a fact. I had a 93 Cummins with 300k miles on it, sold it to my neighbor and he still drives it to this day. I do believe he changed the tranny

Little quick run down on all the issues I had with my 2019 loaded power wagon MIGHTY 6.4 HEMI you all love so much. I loved the truck but I hated the engine and if I wasn’t offered so much to sell it at the time I would still be driving it. But I’m glad I’m not.

-engine tap started 1 week after ownership. (That wonderful hemi tap everyone talks about) (let’s all go buy this expensive oil to see if it cures it!) yea I’ve been down that path. Never again.
-big puffs of blue smoke on start up (sometimes) specially after sitting a while or just everyday driving you would still see the smoke. (Bring it to the dealership and they say cannot duplicate customer concern) really?
-did I mention it used oil? Oh yes 6.4 hemi what a beast of an engine!
-you cannot install a catch can on these 6.4’s without some serious work involved and that is one of the main reasons I believed it smoked so much.

Other issues
power wagon specific issues
-interstate driving one morning at 4am and the truck starts shifting into 4wd at 70mph talk about a oh **** moment.
-front lockers magically stop working, dealer replaced actuator.
-rear lockers magically stop working, dealer replaces rear actuator. (Stayed at dealer for 3 weeks)
- air conditioner, now this one kinda blew my mind, new truck and the AC is colder on passenger side then the driver side. After multiple trips to the dealer they eventually fix it.
-winch only worked in one direction, dealer replaced the winch.
-strange clunk noise inside the cab maybe the body mounts? dealer never did figure this out. Sold the truck shortly after this started.

There was so many instances where this truck was taken to the dealer I actually can’t remember them all but here are a few I can remember.

Don’t get me wrong I love my PW, it was the ultimate hunting and fishing mud slinging beast I’ve ever owned. But would I get another 6.4 after all those issues with less then 30k miles. No sir I would not. And if you think these occurrences are just on my vehicle go take a search around the web and verify.

If you want to spend less money go with the 6.4. I am much happier spending the extra 10k getting the diesel. Quality of life is much better. My 2 cents.

Oh and by the way my air conditioner works a million times better then it every did in the 6.4. So if you want a cold butt on a hot day, Cummins is the way to go.

I’m sure everyone and their momma will have something to say about this post but the truth hurts. Get over it.

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Willie 2 cent,
I think you will happen w
A 2500 cc 8 ft bed.
You can hold almost 3000 lbs
An tow 16000 lbs w 4.10
W 6.4 gas motor you can do
Most all maintenance your self
An are pretty reliable.

( my last 06 gmc 2500 gas was cheapest vehicle I ever owned.
$4000 for 14 years, oil, battery, )
Tires, window, air filter, etc,)

New gas get 16 to 18 mpg

The old diesel was the e ticket
For tow an bit little better MPG
But today emissions in the costly repairs to diesel $$$$, Lower Reliability,
More money to buy, pay state more.
can’t fix it yourself,
It need diesel buy a Peterbilt. freightliner .Mack. anything but a Ford Ram Chevy,