What to look for on a bad 65RFE valve body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Don’t know if this was “normal” but the RPMs would just stop dead in 2nd for around 30 seconds or so, the truck would gain speed but the RPMs wouldn’t rise, then it’d shift into 4th, with a flare, have a very inconsistent RPM rise and then flare into 5th and 6th.

6th was a bit strange to say the least, on the tach it would look like the truck was SLAMMING into 6th but in reality it wasn’t, i personally couldn’t feel it. The RPMs would “slam”, stop moving and then drop back down to the right RPM.

Sent from iPhone 10S Max

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Then, when it’s hot outside and in traffic when the trans is up to temp, it’d get VERY lethargic, lug the engine, not shift right, and etc. WOT when hot (or cold for that matter) would result in a VERY soft (or occasionally “hard”) 1-2 WOT shift, which isn’t normal for the RFE at ALL at WOT. According to my scan tool at RPMs above 4K RPM the truck lost around 20 PSI from desired line pressure. I’m attributing this to a bad pump.

forgot to add: this would also effect all other gears at WOT. The shifts were so slow and so bad it could be mistaken for a CVT...

Truck would also show some symptoms of the torque converter possibly not applying fully, such as the temp rising during normal driving and at cruising speed and the temp not coming down unless you let fully off the gas pedal.

All in all, it was time for a replacement, and i hope this entire thread will help someone in my position in the future. I’m in the middle of writing up a mega thread...stay tuned.

Sent from iPhone 10S Max

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
You def got your moneys worth out of that 65 lol

I know right? Probably the best 25K i’ve spent, surprised shes lasted this long. I’m surprised with the compression test i did on the engine too, not a single issue. I was expecting it to have low compression.

Sent from iPhone 10S Max

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
So you will rebuild it, and then go back and put new VB in?

I got the new trans put in, surprisingly easy. I also did a relearn via dealer scan tool, but it’s still having a issue occasionally shifting from 2-4.

It’s occasionally (not all the time) soft. The tach drops extremely slow, almost like the PCM is ordering just BARELY enough pressure to shift it into 4th sometimes. 80% of the time it’s very snappy with no problems. I’m guessing since the A/C was on it has something to do with that...

No codes on a scan tool, so i’m guessing this is normal? Albeit very very strange. Just more to document.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the new trans put in, surprisingly easy. I also did a relearn via dealer scan tool, but it’s still having a issue occasionally shifting from 2-4.

It’s occasionally (not all the time) soft. The tach drops extremely slow, almost like the PCM is ordering just BARELY enough pressure to shift it into 4th sometimes. 80% of the time it’s very snappy with no problems. I’m guessing since the A/C was on it has something to do with that...

No codes on a scan tool, so i’m guessing this is normal? Albeit very very strange. Just more to document.

Awesome, glad you got a fresh trans. Maybe go for another 500k[emoji57][emoji106]

So the bellhousing bolts weren't too bad to get to? I know some of those can be a real bear to get out and even worse to get back in...

How long does the quick learn process take?

Overall it shifts better?

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Awesome, glad you got a fresh trans. Maybe go for another 500k[emoji57][emoji106]

So the bellhousing bolts weren't too bad to get to? I know some of those can be a real bear to get out and even worse to get back in...

How long does the quick learn process take?

Overall it shifts better?

No, not bad to get to at all, i’d say the hardest part was getting the straps around, removing the bolts from the trans mount and dropping it. The torque converter bolts were simple.

Overall, shifts like a new truck, and got rid of the whine i THOUGHT was the airbox. Turns out that it was the trans screaming...

The quicklearn takes around 1K to actually start working and adjust to normal driving procedures. And yes, very excited!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So new valve body came with it? SP?

What is the issue with gears 2 to 4? Maybe a tune and change the shift points? Tune up line pressure? You heard the ram forum member the other day on line pressure? He boosted line pressure and was blown away by shift quality.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

What is the issue with gears 2 to 4? Maybe a tune and change the shift points? Tune up line pressure? You heard the ram forum member the other day on line pressure? He boosted line pressure and was blown away by shift quality.

New everything, and yes, i’m gonna tune up the line pressure. It’s completely built up, so why not?

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with 2-4, i think it’s Engine Torque Management. We will see.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
New everything, and yes, i’m gonna tune up the line pressure. It’s completely built up, so why not?

Looking forward to hearing how that works for you. The new valve body doesn't have a plate or gasket upgrade? So if that would be the case, I'm not sure if I would do line pressure yet. But, you could use tuner to change shift points and get the trans to stay in higher rpm's all the time.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Looking forward to hearing how that works for you. The new valve body doesn't have a plate or gasket upgrade? So if that would be the case, I'm not sure if I would do line pressure yet. But, you could use tuner to change shift points and get the trans to stay in higher rpm's all the time.

It doesn’t come with a plate which is gonna be the last thing i install on it, which is coming in on 9/29. I’m hunting down a problem i’ve had for a while now, but i thought it was the old trans being majorly worn.

At certain throttle inputs when shifting from 2-4 the trans clicks? It doesn’t sound like it’s coming from the trans, it sounds like it’s coming from way farther up, like the engine bay. At 15-20% throttle it’ll click into 4th and at higher throttle inputs it doesn’t do it at all. Maybe CV joints or backlash in the drivetrain? The u-joints on the driveshaft were perfect when i uninstalled it. Same with the trans mounts....It doesn’t seem to effect anything, it’s just majorly annoying.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I dunno man, cv boots when clicking aint gonna stop clicking and it would get worse. I don't understand the only 2-4 gears though. I'd rule out all play with everything including shock bushings, before guessing it is cv.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla = no help :)

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I dunno man, cv boots when clicking aint gonna stop clicking and it would get worse. I don't understand the only 2-4 gears though. I'd rule out all play with everything including shock bushings, before guessing it is cv.

I’m gonna look around more. The clicking didn’t start until i had the accident you probably do or don’t know about, i think i mentioned it earlier. Essentially, jumped a curb, truck fell directly on the passenger side tire and put around 5-6 tons of force on it. It was at such an angle the tow truck driver said i was lucky to still be alive, and that the only thing that saved me was that the frame dug into the ground. He also told me he was 90% sure he was gonna lose his truck because of the angle and the weather conditions. 298971c9dcfab904a99701fc63414b7f.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
holy **** bro.

I missed that for sure, glad you are good.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Have you jacked up tires, fronts first and then backs, and spin the wheels with ebrake off and in N? That would have been like the first thing I would have done.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Have you jacked up tires, fronts first and then backs, and spin the wheels with ebrake off and in N? That would have been like the first thing I would have done.

I did that with the front right one, not the front left one. It sounds like it’s coming from the front left so that’s probably where i need to go. The rear wheels are fine with no issues there.