What to look for when buying a 02 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZekeTheFreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I’m upgrading from a 97 to an 02 1500 and I’m just curious as to what I should look out for when test driving the truck, anything helps. Thanks!

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure transmission fluid is nice and red.

Of course its an 02, so its not gonna be perfect. But you don't want this truck to suddenly turn into a money pit. What engine does it have? If the transmission fluid goes into the radiator, then to an aux cooler. I'd replace the radiator, unless there is a paper trail on when it was done, if ever done.

OP
OP
Z

ZekeTheFreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
It has the 4.7, so take a good look at the radiator and temp

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ask if it's the original engine and trans, look for signs either have been replaced. Look at the dash, see if it's cracked or not.

OP
OP
Z

ZekeTheFreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Oh and also I did post a thread about finding a replacement dashboard, not an overlay, I’ve called yards and online always pulls up overlays. You wouldn’t by chance know of some other areas to look?

grpht03ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check for engine codes if you have the equipment.

I have an 03 with the 4.7L.
Only major issue I've had is a misfire caused by a bad head gasket. Expensive fix at a mechanic.
The check engine light would turn on when the engine was cold or had been sitting for a while. Then it'd go away.

A dishonest seller could try to hide a cold start misfire (or other problems) by warming up the engine before you get there.
Check the coolant temp gauge when you start it.
If the engine isnt cold, I'd inquire.

And make sure the check engine light even works. It should light up when you first start the truck.

Check for temperature fluctuations as you drive it. If the temp gauge needle goes past the 1/2 way point there could be a problem.

OP
OP
Z

ZekeTheFreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Thank you so much for the info I am bringing my scanner with me but thanks for the temp info

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Lol +2 on making sure the check engine light works. Mine didn’t work when I bought it and I didn’t realize it until months later. (Along with ABS, Brake, and transmission lights)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And don't forget to look for rust at the wheel wells.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has the 4.7, so take a good look at the radiator and temp

Yes, the reason why I say the radiator is because. If the transmission lines go into the radiator. There is cooler inside the radiator for the transmission fluid. If that were to rupture, it'll cross-contaminate and you're going to be Sol on your transmission. I hate that design, the later years came out with separate tranny coolers. That's the only reason why I'm saying look at the radiator. Good luck man, remember it's an O2. So it's going to have problems it's just the major problems we don't want

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Buy a cheap borescope that will plug into your phone. Be sure it has a light on it.

Send that sucker in through the oil fil cap and look around to be sure the metal is either silver and shiny or a very light tan and shiny. If it's black in there, pass on the truck!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Oh and also I did post a thread about finding a replacement dashboard, not an overlay, I’ve called yards and online always pulls up overlays. You wouldn’t by chance know of some other areas to look?
Answered in your other thread.