What tonneau cover do you have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roger3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the retrax also with rambox. It is awesome. I even had a guy standing on it but he was a small guy and I don’t really recommend it lol

rustyw007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I went with the Gator hard cover. Haven't had any issue with leaking.

20201105_110307_HDR.jpg

penguinphan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
That may be but living up here in Oklahoma, we do get quite a bit of rain. And most times when it rains, it rains pretty good… LOL.

But yeah, I want to say that I had my cover set to where at least an inch I believe, is what covered up the front end of the top of my tailgate but really the worst part of my water intrusion was on the sides of the cover where it slides inside those guide rails that you clamp to your bed rails. I even tried loosening those clamps up and tilting the rails out towards the outside of the bed as per instruction from Retrax when they said that little channel that’s below the cover is supposed to act like a gutter and carry whatever rainwater goes around the edge of the cover and carries it to the front and out those little drain tubes that you have to find a hole on the front of your bed to run those through but like I said, it just seemed like no matter what I did whenever it would rain, I’d get a **** load of water inside my bed, and having that carpet in there, it was bad enough that I couldn’t even put luggage in the back of the truck bed unless I had a tarp in there and had the tarp between the luggage and the bed rug and have the rest of the tarp over everything just to keep it dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Phoenix, if it rains steady for more than 20 minutes it becomes a state holiday. :)

Ryan Lomba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought a gator rolling vinyl cover for like $300. It’s pretty darn water tight, locks with the locking tailgate and was pretty easy to install. Also, it delivered in 2 days and i really only bought it because i was in a pinch and had to drive from SW FL to Austin tx with the whole fam in the truck and suitcases in the back during hurricane season. We needed up driving through torrential rains for a good bit of the drive, and when i stopped to check on the luggage, it was bone dry. I have taken it through a car was and some water did get in it then, so maybe it’s not water tight if the water is coming from behind the vehicle, so maybe i won’t drive backwards at high speeds when it rains if i have something valuable that’s very susceptible to water damage in the bed haha. My point being, you can spend $1000+ easy or do what i did. If you’re interested, I’ll send some pics and find the receipt with the model number so you can have specifics. It wasn’t the cheapest gator - but rather the next one up from their base. The dude on the phone was super helpful too. You call and speak to a real human being who’s more than willing and capable to answer your questions.

LANdrew4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT eTorque
I wanted a roll-up and I have RamBoxes, so I got a TruXedo Pro X15. Very pleased. It's rails attach directly to the OEM rails without interfering and it was very easy to install. Operation is very easy whether to roll up or close and its appearance is very low profile. You can also remove it completely very easily. The cloth/vinyl cover looks great. Price couldn't be beat (~$430)Truck cover.png

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the retrax also with rambox. It is awesome. I even had a guy standing on it but he was a small guy and I don’t really recommend it lol

Unless it was one of those aluminum-paneled Diamondback covers like this dude has, I don’t think I’d wanna trust any other tonneau cover manufacturers word on how much weight they claim it’ll support on top of it but that’s just me.

Sam Chambers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a TonnoPro Hard Fold on my 2020 Big Horn. So far, so good. No leaks!

Chap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Powerwagon
Engine
hemi 6.4
Tonnopro trifold.Not the best one out there, but for the price, appearance, and warranty, can't beat it.

Bill T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone added any type of alarm to alert you if the cover is being broken in to?
I have a cover but I am afraid that it is not that secure if someone wants to open it.
Thanks

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone added any type of alarm to alert you if the cover is being broken in to?
I have a cover but I am afraid that it is not that secure if someone wants to open it.
Thanks

Call these guys up. They have a phone number in their description and see if they’ll tell ya how to do this. Pretty much, they added a magnetic switch to on of the bed rails and somehow connected it to the truck’s OE alarm to where when you lifted the cover, it triggered the alarm of the truck.

RamRuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same one and had no issues installing it. Can't complain about the $200 price tag.
Had the same Tyger roll up on mine when I purchased it last year. Worked great under 60 MPH. Any faster the wind would unhook the latch and start rolling up on me.

cmorales30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi

dewn9t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I installed a BAK aluminum roll up , had one on a Denali and it worked fine

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Had the same Tyger roll up on mine when I purchased it last year. Worked great under 60 MPH. Any faster the wind would unhook the latch and start rolling up on me.

I have come to find that the pins locking the cover need a little motivation to seat all the way through. I plan to massage them a little to help them slide more freely and ensure they lock properly without additional help or verification. Once I work on that, which will likely be next spring I will try to remember to post an 'How-to'.

48prerunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure what brand I have I bought it used from my post master for $50 and it is going on its sixth winter for me. the name tag fell off.

RWlRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 4X4 - Replaced 12-31-17 with '04 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi.....wow what a difference 10 years makes.....
Probably because that’s a camper shell and the OP of the thread is asking about tonneaus.

Snug-Top does make camper shells but they also make hard covers as in the pictures I posted.......
The only difference between this type and the fold up type which most of the comments have been about are is the mounting system......
Many of the fold up type seem to leak from what I've heard from a couple guys I know that have them and mentioned in this thread.

RWlRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 4X4 - Replaced 12-31-17 with '04 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi.....wow what a difference 10 years makes.....
Has anyone here seen a tonneau that has longitudinal sections so it opens sideways across the bed?
View attachment 226506

A friend of mine who recently passed away did awning installations and had one on his Chevy......I tried to find a buyer for it but after three months not a single bite we cut it up.

When I was looking, I found them in commercial/ tradesman sections of camper shell companies.

Steve_67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 l EcoDiesel
I have similar and love it! I did chase down anywhere it leaked with additional weather stripping and some silicone on the truck bed. On road trips it makes a great big lockable and secure trunk for all of your hunting and camping gear!