What's the best replacement for the 66RFE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 BGE
So far I am only finding Monster and Jasper, are there others people recommend? Not planning on doing an 8 speed, would like a G56 but don't want the truck to be down that long as I source parts and find a decent mechanic/fabricator to do the work.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ATS has them also, no personal experience, just googling experience.

OP
OP
R

Ramv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 BGE
I had read that thread before, was hoping there might be something new out there... I'll take a look at ATS. There is a local builder here (Transmission Exchange Center/Lifetime Transmission Center) I'm also going to get a quote from.

OP
OP
R

Ramv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 BGE
Looks like Next Gen diesel has one too...

OP
OP
R

Ramv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 BGE
This placed quoted me $7,500 installed, guessing for the "RM1." They were pretty concerned I had a tuner for more power (doubt I'm getting more than 20 hp) and that I had 35"s. Said I would have to regear to get the warranty. Not sure how 35"s and 4.10s are worse than the 34"s and 3.73s which could easily have been optioned on the truck stock. (not my PW, but very similar 2500 HD could.) Just kind of rubbed me the wrong way since the conversation was more about not getting warranty than the quality of the product. I may still consider as local and in line with other built transmissions. If any of them are decent, I'll be out of warranty long before the transmission should fail. Looks like Jasper should be quite a bit cheaper, maybe around $5k installed but I haven't got an official quote yet. 100k mile 3 year warranty with them too.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ouch, $6500 for that one link just for the transmission. Wow. Hope you can find one that's reasonable and well built. I've heard good and bad about jasper, so I dont know how to feel about them at the moment. A shop I worked at years ago tried a jasper 4l80E in a GM product and it was not a good experience. Could have been just coincidence, but I didnt feel good about it as I know the install we did was done right. Just my .02

OP
OP
R

Ramv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 BGE
Decided to go with the Lifetime replacement. They are still all over the tire issue, tempted to put my 315s on and claim they are 33"s... (I'm sure they measure close.) On the other hand, been wanting to do gears since new, but I never thought I would live somewhere low altitude/flat where 6th actually was useful with 4.10s.

Diagnostics showed worn OD clutches, leaking valve body, etc. ( I had P0729, P0735, P0871, flaring, stumbling and occasional limp mode so I wasn't surprised.) Disappointing considering the truck only has 97k miles and the transmission was never over 172 deg. I also never beat on it, and only ever towed my 2nd gen with it once. My old 4L85E had over 200k miles when I sold it, and still shifted fine. I had beat on it, lots of wide open towing with the BBC bouncing off the rev limiter in first for 30 minutes straight. Often saw 225 degrees. Probably had 40-50k miles towing, all 11k lb trailer (2nd gen on 4k lb trailer) or heavier (2 rigs on 34' trailer, somewhere around 15klb.)

That being said, my first Dodge transmission (46RE) only made it about 50k miles prior to it's first T/C, valve body etc. replacement.

Brent 1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So far I am only finding Monster and Jasper, are there others people recommend? Not planning on doing an 8 speed, would like a G56 but don't want the truck to be down that long as I source parts and find a decent mechanic/fabricator to do the work.
Have you tried Certified transmissions? There out of Kansas City. I have a 68RFE in in my 2013 Ram 3500 that has 500,000 miles on it so far. The only upgrades I did to it was put a deeper trans pan on it and a flow thru thermostat on the lines.

OP
OP
R

Ramv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 BGE
Just got mine back, it has the RevMax thermostat as well, we'll see how it does. Lifetime warranty is at least a good start.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Great to hear. How's it performing so far? Any initial thoughts?
What was the total cost of the job?

OP
OP
R

Ramv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 BGE
So far so good, $7,500. Shifts a little firmer than stock, other wise not much difference. I did upgrade to 5.13s as well, so that's much more noticeable.