What's the deal with the Outdoorsman Transfer Cases?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've been noticing that the Outdoorsman models with the 5'7" bed or quad cabs don't have the 4wd Auto button while the crew cabs with 6'4" bed do have the Auto button like most of the other models. What's the difference in these transfer cases and why the difference?

I'm pretty sure my next truck will be a 1500 but I'm trying to decide if I want a Sport or Outdoorsman. I like the Outdoorsman but that puts me buying new projector headlights, wheels, and tires up front which negates any price difference. Even with the Sport, I'd still be buying new tires though. Either way I would sell the stock tires but I'd keep the stock 17" wheels on the Outdoorsman.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Eeew "auto" anything bugs me!

I think the steel bumpers on the Outdoorsman > Sport Plastic crap.
And I'm still not sold the '13+ Projector lights look good or not.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I had it to do over again, I would get the tradesman with whatever options I want added. I like the look of my express bumper, but it is fragile. I've already cracked it once on snow and had it replaced during the first couple thousand miles.

Edit - I think you can order the "auto" xfer case, if you want it. Do a search on here though. Some guys are complaining that those cases don't really lock up, even in lock mode. Depends what you need the truck to do.

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It still has 2wd, 4 Lock, and 4 Low. I don't really have a need for 4 Auto. I either want it in 2wd or 4wd. I just don't know if it's a different t-case and if it's better or worse. I'd get a crew cab with the 6' bed so I'd get the Auto button.

I agree about the metal bumpers vs. the plastic on the Sport. I'd like to say it won't get lifted and offroaded like my Power Wagon, but you never know. LOL.

I found this one online with the black wheel option from the Black Express. I could definitely live with these wheels. They are a pricey option at $1400 though.

37345923975.367101814.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
I've been noticing that the Outdoorsman models with the 5'7" bed or quad cabs don't have the 4wd Auto button while the crew cabs with 6'4" bed do have the Auto button like most of the other models. What's the difference in these transfer cases and why the difference?

I'm pretty sure my next truck will be a 1500 but I'm trying to decide if I want a Sport or Outdoorsman. I like the Outdoorsman but that puts me buying new projector headlights, wheels, and tires up front which negates any price difference. Even with the Sport, I'd still be buying new tires though. Either way I would sell the stock tires but I'd keep the stock 17" wheels on the Outdoorsman.

No outdoorsman has auto. I was looking into it and you need to jump to a sport or higher to get the 4x4 auto. My outdoorsman only has 4x4 high, low and 2wd.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
It is the same internals with an additional servo that senses slip at the rear and automatically selects the 4w high position. The part-time (non-auto, 4 position) case is the Borg 44-45 and the on-demand (auto, 5 position) case is Borg 44-44. Surprisingly little has been published about either, only thing I have found from someone that has seen the internals I forgot to bookmark. But the claim was the auto has an additional servo that controlled the change to 4w lock but everything else was the same. It might impact fuel economy slightly in auto mode as it does keep the hubs locked, turning the front half shafts when selected.

From what I've read in multiple threads and videos, the commonality with the complaints about the t-cases not locking is not allowing the system to work as it should. Putting the truck against a wall, then selecting 4w will NOT allow it to engage as it needs forward movement to fully engage. I have seen some guys feel/think the auto case has not released the front axle when it should have released. I couldn't find anything about how the case senses no slip and releases the 4w lock position.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is the same internals with an additional servo that senses slip at the rear and automatically selects the 4w high position. The part-time (non-auto, 4 position) case is the Borg 44-45 and the on-demand (auto, 5 position) case is Borg 44-44. Surprisingly little has been published about either, only thing I have found from someone that has seen the internals I forgot to bookmark. But the claim was the auto has an additional servo that controlled the change to 4w lock but everything else was the same. It might impact fuel economy slightly in auto mode as it does keep the hubs locked, turning the front half shafts when selected.

From what I've read in multiple threads and videos, the commonality with the complaints about the t-cases not locking is not allowing the system to work as it should. Putting the truck against a wall, then selecting 4w will NOT allow it to engage as it needs forward movement to fully engage. I have seen some guys feel/think the auto case has not released the front axle when it should have released. I couldn't find anything about how the case senses no slip and releases the 4w lock position.

Read thru the thread I linked to in the post just before yours.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my opinion, 4WD Auto is not a desirable option at all.

I had a Ford Expedition that had it. I found it unnecessary with these shift on the fly transfer cases. Good for SUV/housewives I guess. I'd rather put my truck in 4WD when I need it manually and just know its engaged.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In my opinion, 4WD Auto is not a desirable option at all.

My friend have this option on his 12 sport. He love it so far.

Honestly I don't think there is any advantage to h.ave it unless rare condition of dry and icy roads in the same time.

Or strange temp like we have now in quebec those days haha

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

This explains what I was seeing before, I just didn't get why some did and some didnt, that makes sense though as mine is a 13 crew with the 6'4" box.
You can order the 20" rims with an outdoorsman, they aren't the same as you would get with a sport but still might suffice.
I don't know how well the projectors work vs the standard quad beams but I wanted projectors just so I could swap to hid's, the stock headlights aren't horrible but coming from a car with hid's they are less than desirable.
The main difference between the two transfer cases is how 4 lock works.
In 4 lock and 4 low in the part time case it is 100% locked mechanically, there is zero chance for slippage and it is locked even when stopped.
In the 4 auto case torque to the front axle is routed through a clutch which has the ability to slip. I can actually brake torque mine and spin the rear tires but not the fronts in 4 lock. To enguage the clutch and send power to the front axle you need to have a decent amount of wheel spin as well, some trucks seem to be more sensative to that than others. Some are reporting almost zero wheel spin and some report it takes a lot of wheel spin.
Some people report in a paved parking lot their truck will bind in 4 lock, meaning theirs is engauged with no wheel spin. I can turn lock to lock on pavement in any 4wd position and have zero binding.
If you don't mind the clutch style for on road driving it is fine. But if you want to off road a little like I do it becomes a pain to drive, 4 low is useless in snow as every time you stop the rear tires start spinning while the fronts are stopped.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
Ya I had binding with my lock. As I got only 4wd lock. I came from a auto transfer case.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ya I had binding with my lock. As I got only 4wd lock. I came from a auto transfer case.

How do you have only 4wd lock? Does your truck currently have the auto transfer case and it will bind?

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
I do not have the auto transfer case. It's the part time 2hi 4 hi lock and 4low. When I was in winter I reversed into a driver way and wheel was all way right and I heard binding. Worried but seems Ok. It def binds.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I do not have the auto transfer case. It's the part time 2hi 4 hi lock and 4low. When I was in winter I reversed into a driver way and wheel was all way right and I heard binding. Worried but seems Ok. It def binds.

Exactly, you have the part time case, which will bind as it truly locks in 4 lock. The auto transfer cases do not do this.

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
A full-time transfer case is extremely useful on roads that are partly clear and partly not. I have often been required to shift in and out of 4wd with my part-time transfer case. In at stop signs, out when I get moving. I cannot speak for how well the full-time case works in the Ram but it is a useful thing if it works. It is not just for soccer moms, it is for road driving.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A full-time transfer case is extremely useful on roads that are partly clear and partly not. I have often been required to shift in and out of 4wd. In at stop signs, out when I get moving. I cannot speak for how well the full-time case works in the Ram but it is a useful thing if it works. It is not just for soccer moms, it is for road driving.

I will agree, the problem is in this particular full time transfer case the decided to make 4x4 not true 4x4 in my opinion.