What's this called?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Requiem478

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found the source of a leak and I need to know what hose/cable this is. There is a leak right at the shrinkwrap/shrinkadoo/heatwrap looking thing. Sorry for crappy picture quality. (I'm pointing at the lower one)
steeringleak.jpg
Thanks!

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Garsh, by the look of it, looks like the power steering line that goes to either the intake or output of the radiator.

1: DONT DRIVE THE TRUCK ANYMORE.
2: Check the power steering fluid, if its low then you found the culprit. Check your other fluids.
3: You can easily fix this by visiting your local autozone, shops are outrageous these days.

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
What type of fluid is leaking? I see the evap canister purge solenoid lines running near the middle of the screen in that open space. Is that what we are talking about? That would be leaking fuel if the evap canister got fuel in it from overfilling at the pump.

Last edited:

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im almost 100% positive the lines hes pointing at are for the steering.

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Im almost 100% positive the lines hes pointing at are for the steering.

I cant see the power steering lines in this photo they are down lower under the reservoir and then under the radiator.

OP
OP
R

Requiem478

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, and yeah it smells like power steering fluid. It was on the line at the tip of my finger, bout 2-3" leftwards where that brown tube thing sits on the line. It seemed like the connection to that thing was loose so I electrical taped it for now and added fluid. Anyone know what that brown part of the line is called so I can get it replaced? Or should I just replace the whole line?

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
If it is power steering fluid it isn't leaking FROM those lines it has just gotten on them some how. I would be suspicious of the o rings in the steering gear or rack and pinion hose connections letting fluid mist out under load. That would spray it straight up into these lines.

OP
OP
R

Requiem478

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I just still had power steering fluid on my hands when I smelled it, because it definitely seemed to be coming from that line. I did get gas that day but didn't overfill (only half a tank, but I had to use regular octane). I'll go out and double check to see if any other line could have been the source of the leak. So are the power steering lines visible from the top of the truck, or under, or both? If it helps I have the 5.7. I've done plenty of searching on the subject but there is a lot of contradicting information on the subject.

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
They are visible from the top, but they are further down. They are much thicker than the line in question. You can see them if you follow the line from the power steering pump/ reservoir to the steering box and the cooler.

Sent from the palm of my hand

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe I just still had power steering fluid on my hands when I smelled it, because it definitely seemed to be coming from that line. I did get gas that day but didn't overfill (only half a tank, but I had to use regular octane). I'll go out and double check to see if any other line could have been the source of the leak. So are the power steering lines visible from the top of the truck, or under, or both? If it helps I have the 5.7. I've done plenty of searching on the subject but there is a lot of contradicting information on the subject.

The transmission, power steering, and transfer case all use ATF+4.

OP
OP
R

Requiem478

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went out for closer inspection today and took a better picture. The blue arrow is pointing to the leak, which is currently electrical taped (bad idea?), while the red arrow is pointing to the thing that the line comes from (evap canister?). Is this an urgent fix and how much will it cost? Sorry about all these questions but I've never had to deal with this type of thing before.
mailtruck.jpg

Also let me add that the truck drives very well, I've been paying close attention and haven't heard any funny noises or had and vibrations, or any other problem.

Last edited:

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
It is called the evap canister purge solenoid. It pumps fuel vapors from the evap canister to the throttle body. The canister is down by the fuel tank and collects vapor for instance when the tank heats up it keeps it from expanding by relieving pressure. It's an emissions thing so fuel vapors don't dump right into the atmosphere

Pm user ramtech he can give you an idea. He is a chrysler tech and can probably find you a ballpark estimate

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Requiem478

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Tanner you've been very helpful, and saved me a good amount of money at the dealership. They also thought it was a power steering leak when I bought it, I'm guessing because of the close location to the lines.

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Were you able to look over the power steering lines to make sure they weren't leaking? The only place on them that would leak is where the hoses connect to the steering rack (1500) or box (2500 3500) or where they connect to the cooler and pump. If you don't see anything out of order then you may breathe a little easier.

OP
OP
R

Requiem478

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I slid under the truck and checked the connections, the tubes were all dry and tight. Definitely not anything coming from the p/s lines. I even turned on the truck and turned the wheel to both full cuts and got back under both times and couldn't find anything. I think I'm in the clear, and that dealership just wanted money (what's new right)

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Yes I slid under the truck and checked the connections, the tubes were all dry and tight. Definitely not anything coming from the p/s lines. I even turned on the truck and turned the wheel to both full cuts and got back under both times and couldn't find anything. I think I'm in the clear, and that dealership just wanted money (what's new right)

Good to hear. What may be happening is some fuel got in the evap canister somehow. Those lines are only supposed to have fuel vapor so they can leak if liquid fuel gets in there. Perhaps it just condensed there?

I found that line on dodgeparts.mopar.com for around $20

it was called Vapor Purge harness