Wheel bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockercsx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm replacing the front rotors on my 95 ram 1500 2wd and was wondering if you need to replace the wheel bearings when doing this job.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Are they the old style bearing/race combo or a sealed hub.

If they're the old style, inspect the races for heat discoloration and scratches or water erosion. The "cones" or rollers shold be be tight If the cage holding the rollers in place is sloppy, I'd replace. It is best to replace the cone and race at the same time, along with the seal.

Sedaled hubs...put the tire back on, grag the tire at top and bottom and wiggle it. If the hub has any play in it the hub assembly should be replaced.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yours should be the old style with separate bearings and races. Most replacement rotors will already have new races pressed into them and the bearings shouldn't be more than a few bucks each, depending on the brand. I'd go ahead and replace them at that price. It's cheap insurance and could keep a failure form happening in the future

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
When I started in the parts business many many years ago we learned never to trust the races stuck in drums and rotors. They are placed in there to affect accurate machining of the part and because of that thier heat treating quality is suspect. They were /are just a clamping surface.
Also, most cones take a set to the race (like gears and cam/lifter surfaces) when run, and while you can sometimes get away without changing them out, one failure can be pretty expensive and time consuming.
Bearing sets only cost a few dollars overall, and you can rent a remover /installer tool and return it.

OP
OP
R

rockercsx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your replies, looks like i'll replace the races and bearings. Need to do the ball joints too so i'll rent a press and get it all done.