Wheel Spacers vs. Wheel Adapters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What exactly is the difference? I know wheel spacers push the wheel out more, but most people also call them wheel adapters...but I thought adapters were for using wheels that had a different bolt pattern.
For instance the wheels I want are the Hostile Switch-Blade but they only come in 6 and 8 lug while my 1500 is a 5 lug. So if I wanted to run these wheels would I need wheel adapters? Or is crossing bolt patterns just not do-able?

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spacers just slide over your existing studs and then the wheel goes on top of those. Most of the time these are only 1/4 to 1/2 inch at the most due to stock stud length. Adapters bolt on to your stock studs and have new studs coming off of the adapter itself. They can have the same bolt pattern as your stock studs or a new bolt pattern to fit different wheels. These are usually 3/4'' to 2'' thick. You can't run a spacer that thick because there would be no stud left to bolt on the wheels.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You could also install longer studs on your wheel hubs and use thicker spacers then

OP
OP

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spacers just slide over your existing studs and then the wheel goes on top of those. Most of the time these are only 1/4 to 1/2 inch at the most due to stock stud length. Adapters bolt on to your stock studs and have new studs coming off of the adapter itself. They can have the same bolt pattern as your stock studs or a new bolt pattern to fit different wheels. These are usually 3/4'' to 2'' thick. You can't run a spacer that thick because there would be no stud left to bolt on the wheels.

So those guys that running 1-2" spacers are running adapters not spacers? And can you run a spacer on top of an adapter?
I want to run a 6 lug wheel with a spacer on my 5 lug...so am I gonna need 2 different parts? Or do they have adapters that are also spacers?

And is running an adapter recommended or cause any sort of cv/ball joint/etc wear?

Sorry for all the questions lol I'm just kinda confused

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely not recommended to run spacer and adapter together. The adapter that bolts on is a spacer per say, but like i said, you cant run a slide on spacer that thick because you wont have enough stud to bolt the wheel on. I have never run an adapter that changes lug pattern, but people do it all the time so i wouldnt see an issue. Here is a picture of BORA adapters i ran for about a year with no issues at all. As you can see the stock studs are inside of the adapter bolted on and the adapter has new studs to bolt the wheel on. These are 1.75''. Make sure the adapters are hub cenctric. Our hubs are 77.8mm

IMG_0797_zps424b9937.jpg

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Definitely not recommended to run spacer and adapter together. The adapter that bolts on is a spacer per say, but like i said, you cant run a slide on spacer that thick because you wont have enough stud to bolt the wheel on. I have never run an adapter that changes lug pattern, but people do it all the time so i wouldnt see an issue. Here is a picture of BORA adapters i ran for about a year with no issues at all. As you can see the stock studs are inside of the adapter bolted on and the adapter has new studs to bolt the wheel on. These are 1.75''. Make sure the adapters are hub cenctric. Our hubs are 77.8mm

IMG_0797_zps424b9937.jpg

Yeah, adapters are really spacers because in order to have new studs they need to be at least 1" or so thick.

You won't find many spacers if any that thick without studs obviously since you won't be able to put the lug nuts on.

OP
OP

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

IMG_0797_zps424b9937.jpg

Thanks for all the info man, I got everything I needed.

Btw do you have any recommendation on who to buy the adapters from? I know for the spacers Bora is the best to go with but what about adapters

Last edited:
OP
OP

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7