When to use high idle/exhaust brake to warm up

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by NorthwestGuy, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:19 PM.

1. NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel 6.7
    As you know I'm new to diesels and I'm trying to get something understood before cold weather. I know that my truck will high idle automatically when it needs to, so what it the point of having a manual high idle? Under what condition should I use manual high idle? Also I've seen where people turn on the exhaust brake to help warm up quicker but the exhaust brake isn't actually operating while sitting still. Why would it? Thanks for your help.

tourrider and Donutsahoy like this.
  2. tourrider

tourrider Grumpy Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    CTD 6.7
    "When it needs to" , and when you want it to, might be two different points. A couple of weeks ago I was up in Vermont, and it dipped into the mid 30s a couple of mornings. I wanted to get the oil temp up quick so I could get on down the road. So I kicked up the idle, and punched in the E-brake. Warms up quick. Sometimes, when you enable the e-brake at idle, it can take seconds to engage, and the engagement might be subtle when at normal idle. Just when you swear it's not engaged, turn it off and you will notice the change.

SyN likes this.
  3. MADDOG

MADDOG US AIR FORCE VETERAN Staff Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
    ^^^ This ^^^ is exactly why and how I do it as well. And the exhaust brake, when activated, is subtle while the truck is sitting at high idle. But it's still on and working.

NorthwestGuy likes this.
  4. NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel 6.7
    So what you're saying is that when you use manual high idle it tells the exhaust brake to operate/close? Do you have to also push EB "on" button for that to happen?

5. tourrider

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    CTD 6.7
    You manually engage the EB. Does not need to be in a high idle. I do not know if there is a condition where it would be cold enough for the computer to engage the EB for you.

NorthwestGuy likes this.
  6. NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel 6.7
    OK, thanks. I didn't know any of this and was given no manual with the truck that is specific to the cummins. Makes me wonder what else I don't know.

7. tourrider

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    CTD 6.7
    I went through the same thing. I wasn't sure of it until a few cold days in Vermont. I was then bound and determined to figure it out :)

Donutsahoy and NorthwestGuy like this.