where to find towing limits for my ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vgbu56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
where can I find the payload and towing limits for my new ram?
I got a 2023 Limited, crew cab, 5.7 bed, 4X4, spray in bed liner, with the ECO Diesel.
Is there a link sight where we enter the vin # and we can this info?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your door sticker is the only place to find the specific information.

You can google Ram payload/tow charts to get the base numbers but they're only going to show a tradesman and a Bighorn trim level. A Limited is likely to have significantly less payload and tow rating.

This is for a 2023 DT chassis (new body style). This is the only trim level that shows in your configuration with an ED.

1710241046111.png

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
where can I find the payload and towing limits for my new ram?
I got a 2023 Limited, crew cab, 5.7 bed, 4X4, spray in bed liner, with the ECO Diesel.
Is there a link sight where we enter the vin # and we can this info?
Your B-pillar will give you your payload capacity. You towing capacity is dependent upon model/trim/axle specs..

OP
OP
V

Vgbu56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll look again but the stickers on the drivers door and frame around the door I didn't see anything about load or weight.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just one thing to be aware of
Trailer Salesmen will lie about what rate of weight your Ram will Tow
DO NOT count on their information being correct

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll look again but the stickers on the drivers door and frame around the door I didn't see anything about load or weight.
Payload sticker looks like this:
1710327687357.png

Tow sticker with your front and rear axle weights looks like this:
1710327768543.png

Both should be either on the door or the inside of the B pillar.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
nlambert posted good pics of what your door jam stickers should look like and what info should be on there.

Chances are, with a Limited, you are going to have a low payload number and therefore a low tow rating. What they are I can't say without seeing your stickers.

That said, what are you looking to pull? If you're looking to pull an enclosed trailer or a flatbed, you can play with the load to get the numbers at least close for a good pull. If you're looking at an RV, do NOT listen to the salesman, they are going to work off the 'max' numbers which is 100% NOT what you want to work with. They will sell you a 12kGVW RV because it only weights 9k dry and 'that's in your limits!' Better to artificially limit yourself and have a good tow than to always be at the max and white-knuckle it everywhere you go.

I used to have a 2017 Power Wagon (we were 'getting out of camping,' haha yeah right). When we decided to get a new camper, I limited us to 700 lbs of tongue weight - personal choice, and based off payload/towing numbers it seemed decent enough. The trailer we got ended up being about 7k loaded the way we camp, and around 700-725 tongue weight. After adjusting the hitch myself because the dealer tech just used measurements and not weight, it was a comfortable tow at 65 mph, would get a bit squirrelly if I had to push it to 75 for any length of time (mostly attributed to the soft Wagon suspension). The truck could have handled more camper, but it works for us and it was a comfortable tow, I never got out for fuel or at our destination and felt shaky. With the new truck I could definitely handle a LOT more trailer, but honestly there's no need for us to upgrade...yet.

I guess what I'm saying is, since you have the truck you need to do your research on what you want to have. Really the best way to go about it is to figure out what you want to pull, and buy the appropriate truck to do so.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
nlambert posted good pics of what your door jam stickers should look like and what info should be on there.

Chances are, with a Limited, you are going to have a low payload number and therefore a low tow rating. What they are I can't say without seeing your stickers.

That said, what are you looking to pull? If you're looking to pull an enclosed trailer or a flatbed, you can play with the load to get the numbers at least close for a good pull. If you're looking at an RV, do NOT listen to the salesman, they are going to work off the 'max' numbers which is 100% NOT what you want to work with. They will sell you a 12kGVW RV because it only weights 9k dry and 'that's in your limits!' Better to artificially limit yourself and have a good tow than to always be at the max and white-knuckle it everywhere you go.

I used to have a 2017 Power Wagon (we were 'getting out of camping,' haha yeah right). When we decided to get a new camper, I limited us to 700 lbs of tongue weight - personal choice, and based off payload/towing numbers it seemed decent enough. The trailer we got ended up being about 7k loaded the way we camp, and around 700-725 tongue weight. After adjusting the hitch myself because the dealer tech just used measurements and not weight, it was a comfortable tow at 65 mph, would get a bit squirrelly if I had to push it to 75 for any length of time (mostly attributed to the soft Wagon suspension). The truck could have handled more camper, but it works for us and it was a comfortable tow, I never got out for fuel or at our destination and felt shaky. With the new truck I could definitely handle a LOT more trailer, but honestly there's no need for us to upgrade...yet.

I guess what I'm saying is, since you have the truck you need to do your research on what you want to have. Really the best way to go about it is to figure out what you want to pull, and buy the appropriate truck to do so.
Lower payload doesn't necessarily affect tow capacity until you get upwards of about 75% of your GVWR. That's just a rule-of-thumb. GCWR is the number to pay attention to.

My truck has a curb weight of 6000#, and my cargo cap is 4000# therefore my GVWR is 10,000#. My tow cap is 15,000#, and my GCWR is 22,000#.

But, I can actually be below my GVWR of 10k# and my tow cap will drop. As soon as I hit 7000# GVWR it starts subtracting from my GCWR and lowering my tow cap. So, although I can bring my GVWR all the way up to 10,000#, if I do my tow cap drops to 12,000# to stay within my GCWR.

Clear as mud now? :cool:

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Lower payload doesn't necessarily affect tow capacity until you get upwards of about 75% of your GVWR. That's just a rule-of-thumb. GCWR is the number to pay attention to.

My truck has a curb weight of 6000#, and my cargo cap is 4000# therefore my GVWR is 10,000#. My tow cap is 15,000#, and my GCWR is 22,000#.

As long as my GVWR stays at or below my 10k#, my tow cap remains the same. But as soon as I top 7000# GVWR it starts subtracting from my GCWR and lowering my tow cap. So, although I can bring my GVWR all the way up to 10,000#, if I do my tow cap drops to 12,000# to stay within my GCWR.

Clear as mud now? :cool:
For conventional trailers, you're right.

I was operating off the presumption that OP is wanting to pull an RV as many want to do, and since RV weights are somewhat static (you can't do much to 'adjust the load'), that you can't really pay attention to your max tow capacity anyway, you need to pay attention to axle ratings and payload more than anything. With an RV, you will run out of BOTH of those LONG before you hit your max tow rating. With OP having a Limited, which is one of the heaviest 1500s out there, he's going to be working with a small window.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can try to explain it all day long & at the end of the day
Look that person's eyes
they will be glazed over

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
LOL
ask the people at the DMV, how often the question is missed about

GVWR isn't just the weight of passengers and cargo but also the vehicle itself. The gross vehicle weight rating is all about safety.
&
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR), also referred to as the Gross Combined Weight Rating, of a vehicle is the maximum allowable weight of the vehicle, cargo, passengers, and trailer combined.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
LOL
ask the people at the DMV, how often the question is missed about

GVWR isn't just the weight of passengers and cargo but also the vehicle itself. The gross vehicle weight rating is all about safety.
&
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR), also referred to as the Gross Combined Weight Rating, of a vehicle is the maximum allowable weight of the vehicle, cargo, passengers, and trailer combined.
You would think that the term "Cargo Capacity" would automatically tell the person that this is the weight vehicle can carry, not including itself. But I guess not.