Who has experience with the 4Runner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
So looking at getting the wife a new truck. She wants bigger. Something that can comfortably hold our future kids. Etc. lol

Test drove Durangos, Grand cherokee, F-Pace, Q5. pretty broad spectrum.

Well. Once of the last test drives was in a used 4Runner. She loved it.. And also used the excuse that we can go off roading together if she has one. So how do you argue with that? :) lol. (This is coming from a woman who has always hated me modifying and racing cars). So it is a pleasant surprise.

So we will be looking at some used, 2018-2019 models. found some around with sub 30k miles for a decent price.

Just wondering if anyone else here has had experience with them? I know its a Toyota, so its "supposed" to be bulletproof. But all auto makers have their issues.

We will be saving the tough stuff off road for the power wagon. But im sure she would loves to do some light wheeling with me. Nothing that cannot be done on stock suspension, with some A/T tires.

I have seen a good 4Runner forum. But im a loner.. it took me long enough to enjoy talking to people on this forum, and FINALLY meeting one in person. So im in no rush to start asking around on another forum :) hahaha

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I was reading your post, was already making ready to to tell ya to hit some 4Runner forums. I'd recommend throwing out there that you're looking at the 18-19 models and curious what the weaknesses may be or what to watch for on specific maintenance items to those. A simple question with a simple thanks afterward. You'll get about 3 years worth of reading no doubt but betting you'll see the trends of a couple of details to look at on the trucks you didn't know going in.

My history is only as close as looking at 2nd gen 4Runners long ago and indeed, they were miniature tanks for dependability.

Good luck...if I were looking at anything these would be on my radar.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My sister in law has a 15 4Runner that’s never been touched minus oil that I try my best to keep up with. She bought it new and it’s got over 100k. Absolutely no issues start to now. Well minus how do I do an oil change or how to I get it tagged and inspected. You know guy things. Honestly in my book they are great chick cars. Hers has had some bumps minor accidents not her fault. One frontal and one rear ended. It held up very well. All of this around the 90k mark. Wasn’t totaled. Toyota is known for dependability. If I could convince my wife to get something more than 2-4 years it would be a Toyota suv. I had a 09 Camry as a daily and that thing ran what seemed like a billion miles with just basic maintenance. My wife likes Her Pacifica or what we are probably going to have to get next lease a new Cadillac XT6.

dragstrip69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
They are bulletproof and still made in japan. No recalls that plaque the US made models.

I had a 2015 trail model drove it for 2 years 38k miles never a problem, but it rides like a body on frame truck vs some of the crossovers, but it does make a great off road vehicle.

Towed my 4100 pound 2015 Skeeter bass boat quite well actually at 13 mpg.

As you are probably seeing buying a 2 or 3 year old 4runner is real close to buying new as they hold their value. I'd buy new, get the one she loves and you'll have it for as long as it suits your needs.
My best friends wife is still driving a 2001 4 runner purchased used 16 years ago and 150k miles later it needs a rear bumper (rusty) and a radiator (been dripping a quart of coolant per 3k lof). I did the timing belt and water pump service along with pads, rotors, shim and fit kits all OEM parts at 90K for them, that's it in 150K.

Mine was totaled and insurance gave me everything I paid for it new. You can't lose.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I looked at a brand new one before getting my GC, Id rock one.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Good stuff to hear! She already knows it rides a but harder. And understands why after I explained it.

I would love to buy new. But her current vehicle is getting to the end of its life. Buying new I would need a few extra grand.

But we will see! Shes the money handler. So if she wants it bad enough. We will save for tmit!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dragstrip69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
A few extra grand over a 4 or 5 year note .................insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I hope it works out good regardless.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
A few extra grand over a 4 or 5 year note .................insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I hope it works out good regardless.
Yeah fair enough I suppose. We will see. Going to just save a bit extra for hopefully something new.[emoji16]

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have bought 2 new ones (2000 & 2005).

Put 227k miles on the 2000. Nothing but maintenance and light bulbs. I handed it down to my daughter when she was in high school w/55k miles. She drove it across the country 3 times (Washington to Kentucky). She thought she wanted a new car so she traded it in at 227k. She started regretting it about a week later. We both miss that rig.

Still have the 2005. 178k miles, again just maintenance & light bulbs. Wife drives it daily and still loves it. Leather is in amazing shape, just like the whole thing.

Both V6 & AT. MPG not as good as others but resale value offsets the difference.

4Runners have older technology but are built for durability.

They're kind of fun to have around because if you ever get bored with it you can just do some mods every couple of years to freshen it up. Kind of like a pickup. You can always keep them in style.

We will likely buy a 2022 if they finally offer blind spot monitors. Will keep the 2005 as well.

I will buy new again because it will be another 15 year purchase. Used ones don't save over new very much. Attestement to their resale value.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I have bought 2 new ones (2000 & 2005).

Put 227k miles on the 2000. Nothing but maintenance and light bulbs. I handed it down to my daughter when she was in high school w/55k miles. She drove it across the country 3 times (Washington to Kentucky). She thought she wanted a new car so she traded it in at 227k. She started regretting it about a week later. We both miss that rig.

Still have the 2005. 178k miles, again just maintenance & light bulbs. Wife drives it daily and still loves it. Leather is in amazing shape, just like the whole thing.

Both V6 & AT. MPG not as good as others but resale value offsets the difference.

4Runners have older technology but are built for durability.

They're kind of fun to have around because if you ever get bored with it you can just do some mods every couple of years to freshen it up. Kind of like a pickup. You can always keep them in style.

We will likely buy a 2022 if they finally offer blind spot monitors. Will keep the 2005 as well.

I will buy new again because it will be another 15 year purchase. Used ones don't save over new very much. Attestement to their resale value.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Well this is great to hear!

I did hear something about the new 4runners will be a unibody type, rather than body on frame... if they do, it will destroy that vehicle!

4eyedconekiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Before you pull the trigger, check iut the Lexus Variant, the GX460.
-rides better
-v8 POWA!
-Potentially more capable
-OMG nicer inside.

BOMBSHELL: I sold my EcoD and bought the GX470 recently to handle DD duty with some good off-road capability. I miss the comfort and MPG, but not having a payment helps a TON.

Besides, now I can try my hand at an overland build now!

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
REVIVAL THREAD!!

Well after searching 5 states for two weeks, I FINALLY found a TRD off road that she liked. She wanted either white or black.

What a pain in the ass it has been due to this shortage. And no, we didnt get a good deal hahahah.

These things are as rare as rocking horse **** right now. It's crazy. Toyota won't even build them either (according to multiple dealers anyway)

But alas.. in super happy with it. Wife loves it. So the planet can continue to rotates on it's normal axis ROFL

Oh, and P.S. we went brand new, as multiple people mentioned buying used right now is just ridiculous, and it is!

d342d7271a5409ffacaa0273bb823295.jpg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
REVIVAL THREAD!!

Well after searching 5 states for two weeks, I FINALLY found a TRD off road that she liked. She wanted either white or black.

What a pain in the *** it has been due to this shortage. And no, we didnt get a good deal hahahah.

These things are as rare as rocking horse **** right now. It's crazy. Toyota won't even build them either (according to multiple dealers anyway)

But alas.. in super happy with it. Wife loves it. So the planet can continue to rotates on it's normal axis ROFL

Oh, and P.S. we went brand new, as multiple people mentioned buying used right now is just ridiculous, and it is!

View attachment 461022

Did you have to pay over sticker price ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, you really messed up now. Prepare to not have to make any repairs for 150k miles and live with arguably the most reliable, well built and designed vehicle made today. Prepare for at least a decade of hassle free ownership. Sheesh...

LOL, great choice...you will love it. My '08 has almost 250k and purrs like a kitten. My '14 Grand Cherokee has 60k and it is a pile of crap, waiting to spend yet another round in the shop.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
just saw this thread. I was going to say try and go 20 or newer. The used market is nuts and the 20's and up have led headlights which is great. I see you opted to get one without a third row. I wish I could have. We ordered my wife an SR5 premium seeing they don't all have the third row and the limited series are ugly af. I wish the interior was nicer but it is what it is. I'll probably have to get katzkin interior. Hope to take delivery in the next week or two. She didn't ***** about the LIFTGATE not being powered huh? My wife is pissy about it and she hasn't even gotten it yet. I told her the window rolls down! Well if there are any things you are going to do or wish you would have done differently let me know.

OP
OP
LeesEvoX

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
just saw this thread. I was going to say try and go 20 or newer. The used market is nuts and the 20's and up have led headlights which is great. I see you opted to get one without a third row. I wish I could have. We ordered my wife an SR5 premium seeing they don't all have the third row and the limited series are ugly af. I wish the interior was nicer but it is what it is. I'll probably have to get katzkin interior. Hope to take delivery in the next week or two. She didn't ***** about the LIFTGATE not being powered huh? My wife is pissy about it and she hasn't even gotten it yet. I told her the window rolls down! Well if there are any things you are going to do or wish you would have done differently let me know.
Sorry bud. i just saw this. But yeah, ended up going new. regular TRD off road. only options i got were the predator side steps, and the cargo cover. only got the side steps because the wife if 5'2".

Regarding the lift gate, she complains about the same thing, and i told her the same thing. THE WINDOW COMES DOWN!. hahaha plus, it does have a strap to help with the Trex armed people.

I dont think i would've done anything differently. Maybe just tried to wait a few more months. It was crazy trying to find one of these things that were available, and not priced out to the moon.

Ive seen base model SR5 trims going for $50k plus now, its crazy. The market does seem to be stabilizing a little bit now though.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah she's getting used to it.. I did have to order the OEM audio plus upgrade though. I had a feeling I would. I think I'll do a swap to leather at some point. I'm not a fan of the Softex. It feels cheap to me. Other than that it seems pretty solid. We do have the dreaded steering wheel shake from 50 to 60 though. I'm tossing a level in it tonight and will have it aligned on friday. see if it makes any difference.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not many of the member’s here know this but I purchased a 2019 4 Runner TRD Off Road Premium. I can tell you this you won’t be disappointed at all. I pull over 19mpgks with my lift and 33’s. It doesn’t have a peppy pick-up compared to our 14 Limited GC, but that’s because it’s a 5 speed auto not 8 speed like the GC. The ride is good and the ease of all the control are pretty spot on too. If you can get a TRD off Road get it. They come with rear locker, A-trac which is phenomenal and crawl control. And it had one honest to god manual shift lever.

Attachments

• 85A1045A-51CD-4915-B828-D78D746F8623.jpeg
    85A1045A-51CD-4915-B828-D78D746F8623.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 4
  • E851C2A5-FBAF-4C71-8007-0788789ACC93.jpeg
    E851C2A5-FBAF-4C71-8007-0788789ACC93.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 4C0CA8CF-17CE-4E6E-AFDE-ED861F2A910E.jpeg
    4C0CA8CF-17CE-4E6E-AFDE-ED861F2A910E.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 4

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Not many of the member’s here know this but I purchased a 2019 4 Runner TRD Off Road Premium. I can tell you this you won’t be disappointed at all. I pull over 19mpgks with my lift and 33’s. It doesn’t have a peppy pick-up compared to our 14 Limited GC, but that’s because it’s a 5 speed auto not 8 speed like the GC. The ride is good and the ease of all the control are pretty spot on too. If you can get a TRD off Road get it. They come with rear locker, A-trac which is phenomenal and crawl control. And it had one honest to god manual shift lever.
Well well, look what the 4Runner dragged in!! LOL! What's up Mo'? Long time no "see". Hope you and the family are all good?