Why are manufacturers still putting chrome on trucks?

Do you like trucks with chrome?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not bashing anyone that likes chrome, everyone has got different tastes and that's all good with me.

In todays market it just seems to me like that vast majority of consumers don't want chrome on their trucks, and if they buy a truck with chrome they end up painting over it...

I personally can't stand chrome on my vehicles, i just think it looks cheap and gaudy. I shopped for my truck for a long time to get the one i wanted without any chrome.

I think Ram understands this better than other makers, so many ram trucks are outfitted with color matched bumpers and black accents/wheels.

Ford gets it too, it seems like more F-150's now have paint matched bumpers now as well.

In my opinion it seems like chevy and toyota have a running contest going to see who can fit more ugly chrome on the front of a truck lol

What are your thoughts? Do you guys still like chrome or no chrome?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally like chrome and don't think it looks gaudy at all. My Express had color matched bumpers and came with black door handles and mirrors and grill inserts with painted wheels. I have since lifted it and added chrome wheels, door handles, mirrors and grill inserts. I can't stand the new no chrome look and no emblem look and black wheels on everything. I guess it's just a matter of preference. I'm a little older that some of the other guys so maybe that has something to do with it. I will say I get more compliments with this truck than any other truck I have owned so who knows? 85ed87704970668fb1be709450cef166.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jbyron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sure each respective manufacturer has teams of eggheads dedicated to figuring out their current and potential owners preferences. That said, even as a young man who has cars clad in carbon fiber and black trim, I think there will always be a place for chrome in the market. I can’t imagine everything being body colored or black plastic it would just be so dull, and done right it chrome can look great

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Boomers. Boomers like chrome.
Actually.
When I bought my truck I planed on getting rid of all the chrome but it's grown on me and I actually like it now.
So I guess I'm a boomer now.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think any cosmetic choice can be tasteful or can be gaudy and overdone. I can tell you I'd 100% prefer clean chrome over anybody's plastidip "i bLacKeD oUt mY tRuCk" that usually looks all raggedy a month after they take their insta pics.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am old school and do like some chrome ! Not a ton ! And I do like the look of painted trim as well
IMO the reason you see more painted trim and no chrome is $$$$$, Cheaper to build and to the bean counters all about the buck !

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not a fan of getting blinded by chrome on a vehicle, but it's really just a subjective opinion as far as aesthetics. Having chrome blind you from it being on the interior is another engineering oversight. That's happened a few times with other vehicles and I'm always like "Who tf would put chrome there?" as I cover my eyes and try not to run into anything.

Balloons though. Yeah, those can all go straight into a landfill.

Jbyron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Boomers. Boomers like chrome.
Actually.
When I bought my truck I planed on getting rid of all the chrome but it's grown on me and I actually like it now.
So I guess I'm a boomer now.

first thing I did was reflexively black out my emblems and exhaust tips (carvens) and wheels and while I like it I want my chrome back lol

OP
OP
Rusty Shackleford
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it seems that i'm actually the minority here not liking chrome lol

I will say this, at least when Rams have chrome it is a tasteful amount...the chevys look awful to me especially when the entire front of the truck just looks like a solid wall of chrome

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm old skool, when I grew up it was, "if it don't go - chrome it". Noting wrong with chrome accents but my 19 Laramie Sport has just the right amount of highlights. Although the RAM in the grill may go matte black at some time.

Nothing wrong with a little chrome for effect, however.

19 ram sport.jpg

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't like chrome personally, but to each their own. My thought on the matter is, if the manufactures quit putting chrome on all together, then a lot of people would be trying to add it just to make their truck stand out.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I was at SEMA 2 years ago, someone told me, why do they make black wheels, they are ugly......welp, a majority of the wheels nowadays have all black or partially black. Just trends I guess.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The vast majority of trucks still have chrome (bumpers etc), because the vast majority of people still prefer it.

My truck has chrome, only because I didn't want to spend another $3000 to the next trim ("sport" here in Canada) to avoid the chrome.

I believe they also hold up better in terms of rock chips, I've seen threads where painted bumpers can look ugly pretty fast.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Funny the chrome package used to cost more than painted, but the trend is painted now so it's the other way. I'm good with either, but prefer the chrome. I've never liked black wheels. Broke down and put a set on one of my trucks because the chrome ones started peeling. They held up better, but I never liked the look.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I think one reason is durability- if a small rock kicks up and hits my chrome bumper and the same rock hits a painted bumper, guess which one is less noticeable...the chrome by far. I see people paying a good chunk of money to protect their bumpers from rock chips with thinks like 3M or Xpel. My welfare wagon doesn't suffer from the same needs due to the chrome bumper.

With that said, I generally prefer painted to chrome for looks because the chrome is usually overdone. My first 1500 was a blue streak pearl Express with painted bumpers and I loved the look but damn, it was high maintenance with the painted front bumper.