Why are manufacturers still putting chrome on trucks?

Do you like trucks with chrome?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Somewhere in between. On my Limited I painted the tailgate ram's head body color, and added reflective white(matches the Ivory Pearl) overlays on the hood emblems and in the Limited side molding letters. Also did a gloss black overlay on the grill RAM. the overlays let a perimeter of chrome show and I like that this leaves the truck with a smaller amount of chrome accents.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I personally like chrome and don't think it looks gaudy at all. My Express had color matched bumpers and came with black door handles and mirrors and grill inserts with painted wheels. I have since lifted it and added chrome wheels, door handles, mirrors and grill inserts. I can't stand the new no chrome look and no emblem look and black wheels on everything. I guess it's just a matter of preference. I'm a little older that some of the other guys so maybe that has something to do with it. I will say I get more compliments with this truck than any other truck I have owned so who knows? 85ed87704970668fb1be709450cef166.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
See, perfect example of different tastes. I hate chrome..... So much that I plan to eleminate it on the trim around steering wheel buttons.
Not bashing your truck at all, but if you posted that pic and asked for advice on what to change (like so many people do on here).... My first response wood be blank rims and color match the rest of that chrome. Lol
Like you said, everyone has different taste.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Offer both and continue to make sales. Some like chrome some hate it, some like the blackout look so continue to offer that as a package. Oh wait so basically continue doing what at least Rams been doing. I know even GM jumped on that with their Denali line offering less chrome w/ their sport trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I don’t mind chrome bumpers and that’s where I stop liking it. Some people go ham with it tho and have chrome pillars, chrome trim around the fenders, chrome trim on the edges of the doors etc.... that’s a little much lol. I think the new Chevy trucks are beautiful and especially the 2” lift ones! I find the chrome is significantly less across all trucks but ram still has a lot of trucks with chrome bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I doubt the vast majority of people like or dislike anything....
Personally i dont care BUT nothing to me cooler than a Shiny Black truck with LOTS of Chrome

Speaking of that,i ran into a loaded up black Laramie Limited yesterday that had chrome taillight guards /vent visors /pillar trim /wheels/door guards etc.,waited around for a bit for the owner to come back to it,as i kind of wanted to see what age group he would of been in,i'm guessing a bit older,but the truck actually looked good,as it was differant then all the other trucks running around.I'm not a fan of black vehicles,but this one i kind of liked,i don't normally walk around a truck in a parking lot,unless i think it's attractive,and this one ,i walked around a couple times looking it over.If it'd been murdered out,it wouldn't even of garnered a passing glance from me,especially being black,lol

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I love chrome on older muscle cars - vettes, camaro's, mustangs, etc. On trucks, I like a little chrome. I prefer the blacked out look which is why I bought the Warlock.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t mind the chrome on my 2012 Laramie but I prefer the color matching. One of the reasons I went with my Tungsten edition 2018 RAM was the color matched bumpers along with the unique opaque chrome inserts on the truck. I also like the color matched running boards.

05004d905cbfb0e17075f98e6115be5a.jpg

196cc524f72f2838a3bf097a2f4a0f5d.jpg

2628ff61caff5f4a1babc33f10976a32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice **** post... But I'll bite.

Because people still want it. I don't care for the all black everything look, at all. What I really hate is the lack of white letter tire options.
This. 100% this. I don’t know when they moved away from that, but it needs to become more widely available.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
See, perfect example of different tastes. I hate chrome..... So much that I plan to eleminate it on the trim around steering wheel buttons.
Not bashing your truck at all, but if you posted that pic and asked for advice on what to change (like so many people do on here).... My first response wood be blank rims and color match the rest of that chrome. Lol
Like you said, everyone has different taste.

I prefer chrome bumpers over black/matte ones like in the rebel/powerwagon. All that black everywhere looks cheap, like a "base" truck or like work-truck-cheap, same with the black accents on the sport hood. It's plasticity and kind of tacky, in my opinion.

Now painted bumpers, like in the sport trim/package, that looks awesome, better than the chrome on my bighorn.

So my 2 cents in terms of what looks better (durability aside):
painted = best
chrome = ok
black/matte = here I come in my work truck

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I prefer chrome bumpers over black/matte ones like in the rebel/powerwagon. All that black everywhere looks cheap, like a "base" truck or like work-truck-cheap, same with the black accents on the sport hood. It's plasticity and kind of tacky, in my opinion.

Now painted bumpers, like in the sport trim/package, that looks awesome, better than the chrome on my bighorn.

So my 2 cents in terms of what looks better (durability aside):
painted = best
chrome = ok
black/matte = here I come in my work truck
Yup, I hate the look of the rebel and pw. I love my painted express bumpers and night edition black out. That's how the rebel & pw should have been

Last edited:

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
What are your thoughts? Do you guys still like chrome or no chrome?

Maybe we're from different generations. I LOVE chrome. I grew up in the 70s when all the hottest vehicles in the neighborhood and at the car shows had sweet paint jobs and chrome trim and/or wheels.

I was just telling my wife, last night, we were watching music videos on YouTube, that I believe the blacked-out look was popularized by the Mad Max movies and it exploded when "California Love" by Tupac came out. :) Suddenly everybody wanted to look like they were in the sunshine state where that bombass hemp be.

I don't begrudge anybody their taste. You like all black, I like a very judicious use of chrome, badges gone on the sides and back, Ram heads given a "smoked chrome" look to mute their appearance a bit on the grill and gate, and then a "skateboard" of chrome across the bottom with the wheels and steps in a chrome that matches the tone of the factory headlights. At least, that's what I like now. It might change in the future.

View media item 29672View media item 29348View media item 29346

Last edited:

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So all said and done it looks to me like the OP answered his question in his first sentence

image.gif

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As we all know if comes down to personal taste. I don't mind chrome but it's got to be the right amount on the right color. But I do love color matched bumpers. When I bought this truck it was either going to be a Sport or an Express. I couldn't find a Sport with the 3.92 rear so I got the Express.

I've seen my truck with chrome and I don't like it at all. Blacked out looks better. Now on my old silver '14, the chrome looked better.

ded53b7ee51627ffaec7056d6acd072c.jpg5c9b41138f33b46efb44b72521ec9512.jpg

Sent from my LG-V60 using Tapatalk.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As we all know if comes down to personal taste. I don't mind chrome but it's got to be the right amount on the right color. But I do love color matched bumpers. When I bought this truck it was either going to be a Sport or an Express. I couldn't find a Sport with the 3.92 rear so I got the Express.

I've seen my truck with chrome and I don't like it at all. Blacked out looks better. Now on my old silver '14, the chrome looked better.

ded53b7ee51627ffaec7056d6acd072c.jpg5c9b41138f33b46efb44b72521ec9512.jpg

Sent from my LG-V60 using Tapatalk.
I have the same color truck as you, but chrome bumpers, grill, wheels and running boards. I think it looks quite nice with the chrome and the granite crystal metallic.
155B3E07-F83E-4E44-AEF0-9EB3A1372209.jpeg