Why are you guys still buying Ram "Classics"???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I bought a 2019 standard cab 6.4 bed and a V6. I would not take for mine. 4th Gen and I just like it better. I don’t hate the 5th Gen but like mine better. All Rams look good to me. Now y’all have a great day.

MaximumSteel18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me it was the 25% off MSRP and I was able to transfer $2K worth of accessories from my 2010 over to my 2018. The 18' was on the lot and had every option I would've ordered. I'm not hooked on the looks of the new Ram yet.

lincoln125

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
5th Gen looks like a Chevy to me, and the last time Chevy had a good looking truck was 1960.

Richard Garris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When Ram came out with the 4th Gen, I liked the looks of the front end and sides, but I didn't move to purchase one. When the added the dual exhausts with the rear bumper partially wrapped around them, I believed the 4th Gen to be the best looking pickup available and I still believe that! I am not a fan of the 5th Gen because it, in general resembles the shape of all other pickups. I especially didn't like the way they didn't let the rear bumper partially wrap around the dual exhausts. I know they added a black piece of plastic to do this, but it really looks cheap to me. Will stay with the 4th Gen for the foreseeable future.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
  1. I like the look of the classic MUCH better, and both 5th gens I drove (lariat and big horn) blew LUKEWARM air!!! Then I stumbled across this 11 Big Horn Hemi Crew 4x4 with 14K miles and game over. When (if) I DO trade up it'll be for a 19 Classic. By 2025 they'll have all the bugs worked out oif the "new" 19s, and maybe a styling change. It'll be hard to beat the looks of this 2011 tho.

bighorn11l.JPG

Last edited:

hoss2695

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 16 big horn. I love it. If I were to buy a new one I would have to go with a classic. The front end doesn’t look like any other truck out there. The sides are rounded out wards not sucked in like the new 5th gens. Plus if you want to debadge your 5th gen. You will have a big hole or indent on the hood. There is nothing you can do with that emblem on your hood.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've owned two 4th gens and thought they were highly attractive vehicles. Still do. But after I drove a 5th gen I was impressed with the level of improvement, so I bought one.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at 026321 miles.

ASUGrad1999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 4Th Gen ‘18 Big Horn that I love but I saw this at the car show over the weekend and I’d take it over mine any day. My favorite of the show.

A1B0F975-8D63-4C59-8D9C-D8B1999E8C40.jpeg

Hacksaw55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off, I like (and own) a 4th gen Ram. But what is the attraction to still buy a Ram Classic when the 5th gen has been out a while? Is it Price, Style, Familiarity, lack of specific features on the 5th gen ....other??

Just curious what factors motivated you to buy a Ram Classic instead of a 5th gen?

Hacksaw55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me by old truck was getting to need more than I wanted to put into it. so I guess it boils down to the price. 2019 with 15000 miles on it for almost half the price a new. To me it was an easy choice I don't know

Mystic1906

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a Classic but I was in love with a Black 5th gen that I saw. Came down to price and options for me. I needed 4x4 and a price that I could afford so I went with what spoke to my wallet and not my heart. I must say though that I really really love my truck. Towed my boat with it over the weekend and it was a HUGE difference from my previous truck (F150).

Blue Truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No Spark Plugs
Before I found my current truck, I was contemplating a Classic for the following reasons.

Clean, attractive, minimalistic lines, especially in front
Express option and its paint matched bumpers and lack of chrome
Single exhaust that exits behind the rear wheel as...get this...still a single exhaust!
Flat, non-slider rear glass
17"x7" wheels (that are lightweight and look great)
Carpet delete is an option (sort of, as it requires adding other options)
Fewer electronics and nanny systems

Tried to keep it mostly positive, but I will also mention that I positively dislike the aesthetics of the new model.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t care for the squinty eye look of the new head lights, don’t like the grill.... I was offered a new 2019 2500 at cost because of an ongoing clunk they can’t fix and turned them down because of how the 2019 looks....

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I bought my Classics because they look GREAT!!!! If I had wanted a Toyota I would have bought a Toyota. PLUS after speaking to several 4th gen owners that bought 5th gen RAMs none were happy with their poor choice of the 5th Gen. I questioned them because I was wondering if I had made the right choice and I am glad I did ask. PLUS the 4th gen looks like a MAN's truck and is a classly workhorse as well. Bottom line if I had wanted crappy looking truck I would have bought a 5th gen or a Ford.

Last edited:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Meh - if my '17 dies, I'll only bother with a 5th-Gen if there's a crosshair grille kit and maybe something to lose those hideous hood-mounted badges (even if it means replacing the hood entirely.)

Dice

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 4th Gen Ram is one of the best looking trucks ever made. The crosshair grille is, no pun intended, classic Ram.
I'm not knocking the trucks overall, I'm sure they are great. But the 5th Gens look like a damn Chevy. Ram blew it on that part IMHO.

Goal10der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I had traded my 2016 Big Horn for a 2019 Big Horn and actually like the 19 better. I needs 4 doors (as with the 2016 it is my only vehicle, so 4 doors were a given) so the quad cab with the 6'4" bed was the same as I had traded in. As I occasionally tow a 6500# T/T and had 3 Hemis prior, the 5.7 was a given as well. This one did come with the E-torque, the towing package, etc., the main option I wanted was the L.E.D. light package, because my main beef with the other generations was headlights. Wasn't too sure of Rugged Brown, 2 prior were silver, but the more I looked at it the more I liked it.

The styling seems to be the sticking point throughout the forums, it appears most people have a love/hate relationship with these: they either love it or hate it. Few of us are on middle ground. The new interior is much nicer than prior years, it does seem more comfortable, the handling seems a bit better, the LED's are a definite improvement. As for basics, the bed is the same length, the towing, GVWR is the same or within a couple/few hundred pounds either way, there is a mileage difference with the E-torque shutting down at a light or such (although not an earth shattering mileage difference). The things I wish were different: interior lights should have been LED with the light package (they aren't -minor complaint), the e-torque can be a pain in the butt in traffic (you can shut it off by a dash switch), the sound deadening radio sometimes very intermittently doesn't work - been to the dealer, it's a known problem but they don't know how to fix it, it had a recall for the adjustable pedals 2 months after I bought it (minor inconvenience, if you adjusted the pedals they might have fallen off the mount) which is common no matter what you drive.

All in all I'm very pleased with it, but hold no malice towards those who prefer the Classic model.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I love the 4th generation -Bighorn has all I need--the 5th gen has nicer interior i agree -but I like the 4th body style better-my truck is 2012 and I keep my trucks-2012 with 70,000kms . Your question- 4th gen all the way!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank