Why, just why.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
For you NY'ers that live in rural areas....you will know what I am referring to. Other day, I had to take one of my kids to work, to the normal route....of course, I....not realizing that they just recently oil & stoned the one road that is the quickest way to get there.

It was dark and only realized what was done until after I was on it. It was raining so, I figured the dust and everything would help keep everything from getting kicked up. Well, that wasn't the case. I attempted to wash my truck and there is tar and spots and all sorts of $#!T all over the sides of the truck.

Time to have it taken to the guy that does detailing and let him work his magic on it.

Why in the #ELL do they oil & stone the road after they get done re-paving them up this way? What is the purpose....another $200 out the door for detailing now.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I remember that quite well in Upstate NY, the real upstate. They do it because it helps seal cracks and makes the road last longer. I had a couple bottles of tar remover always in the garage. It is a pain, but better taking that off than replacing suspension parts.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They do that in CO, too. Call it chip-seal paving there. I call it half-a$$ing it when they should be spending money on a real paving job. But then again, their paving jobs are half-a$$ed, too. Windshield replacement companies love it when they do this.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
They do that in CO, too. Call it chip-seal paving there. I call it half-a$$ing it when they should be spending money on a real paving job. But then again, their paving jobs are half-a$$ed, too. Windshield replacement companies love it when they do this.

That's the thing, they ground the road down and took off several inches of the original black top and then re-did the road, with brand new black top. The road was a nice to drive on, smooth as glass, and then they went through and oil & stoned it....I'm going to send the city the bill for my cleaning....LOL

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
And also CT. Glad I'm not there any longer lol

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Even way down south in LA they do this. I live in a very rural area and any potholes on my road they just fill with asphalt to create bumps instead. My road looks and feels like Lightning McQueen paved it.

You would figure that as much asphalt being used to fill potholes why not just mill up and repave the whole dang blasted road !?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yup, and I always have silver or white cars...get some WD40, will take it right off.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YUP< TX too. And they had a defile on the road, and I had to get to town, and drove down and they had thrown down the loose rock/tar, not even pressed it down yet and all dat BS got thrown up in the wheel wells, and on frame, etc, truck body saved because I have flaps. I am still finding tarred rocks, and it has been 2 months, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Yeah, I'm not impressed right now, seems they've hit all the rural roads in my area with the nonsense.

Just going to get the truck ready for the winter and have the detailer go through it. It needs the TLC anyway.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When they lay new asphalt, they seal it with first heavy oil & then sand, not rocks.
If you picked up oil after they opened up the road, that is the fault of the company that did it, whether it was a private contractor, the city, the county, or State
The road should not be opened until the Seal Sets, which takes about 2 hours after it is laid.
There should also be signs on barricades along the route.

With a Chip Seal, which is heavy liquid asphalt & immediately 5/16 th rock chips are dropped into that oil & immediately after the rock chips are dropped, a rubber wheeled roller presses the rock into place & a minimum of 2 hours have to pass before they bring in the Street Sweepers to pick up excess rock chips.
They can never get it all & the sweepers usually return at 3 AM to try getting the rest of it
Signs are posted

The signs will read something like 30 MPH & the public needs to stop tailgating, but there will always be people that speed & toss up rocks

M60A3 Driver

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
In NJ they pave the roads with the crushed bones of mafia victims. It sucks when you get a tooth stuck in the tire and it makes that clicking noise when you're driving! :rotflmao:
Seriously though, at least don't do the oil and stone crap here.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
They use that crap in the local town here as well. Half @zzed “fix”.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Yep... That's the only way my street gets "paved". The extra $#itty part is that they don't roll it, they just count on us to compact it over a few days. :mad:

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Yep... That's the only way my street gets "paved". The extra $#itty part is that they don't roll it, they just count on us to compact it over a few days. :mad:
They don’t roll it here either. Local town bought the used chip seal machine 5 years ago as a stopgap measure.........nothing ”lasts” longer than a “temporary” fix!

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
They don’t roll it here either. Local town bought the used chip seal machine 5 years ago as a stopgap measure.........nothing ”lasts” longer than a “temporary” fix!
Good times... :happy175:

OP
OP
OC455

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
This, they don't roll it at all. Their dumper just lays out an even layer and that's it....no rolling or anything else. And if we're lucky they get a street sweeper out t remove the excess stones from the road.