Will 2019 BDS 3" REAR SPRINGS AND BRACKET KIT FIT 2016 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RC RAM16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For starters my truck has a 4" RC lift with the 2.5" rear coil spacer and NO relocation brackets. It drives okay but I want the relocation brackets for the control arms and panhard bar to hopefully improve the ride. In my searching for brackets I came across a deal for the 2019 BDS rear lift kit and 3" coil springs. I was told by the seller it will fit the 4th gens so I went ahead and purchased the kit. This kit includes the sway bar links, all relocation brackets I'm looking for and the 3" coils (bonus). I did test fit the brackets to my truck and it appears everything will bolt up fine. I also called BDS technical support but the person was unable to answer my questions and couldn't look anything up due to computer issues.?...

Did the 5th gens change too much in the rear set up for this kit to work in a 4th gen?

What is the spring rate of the 2019 3" BDS?

Are the spring rates similar between the 5th gen and 4th 3" springs?

Will this kit damage the truck?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
For starters my truck has a 4" RC lift with the 2.5" rear coil spacer and NO relocation brackets. It drives okay but I want the relocation brackets for the control arms and panhard bar to hopefully improve the ride. In my searching for brackets I came across a deal for the 2019 BDS rear lift kit and 3" coil springs. I was told by the seller it will fit the 4th gens so I went ahead and purchased the kit. This kit includes the sway bar links, all relocation brackets I'm looking for and the 3" coils (bonus). I did test fit the brackets to my truck and it appears everything will bolt up fine. I also called BDS technical support but the person was unable to answer my questions and couldn't look anything up due to computer issues.?...

Did the 5th gens change too much in the rear set up for this kit to work in a 4th gen?

Is that BDS kit for all new 2019 or the 2019 classic?

The classic is the same as the 2013-2018 trucks

OP
OP
RC RAM16

RC RAM16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It is the kit for the new 2019 ram 1500

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as the coil springs fit in the spring buckets and they can support the weight of the vehicle and as long as all the brackets fit without interference you're good to go.
I'm running 2020 Jeep Gladiator rear control arms, 2020 Jeep Gladiator coil springs, Jeep JK adjustable rear sway bar links, why ? cause i can.. and i didn't ask anybody if they fit cause they'll look at me funny :)

OP
OP
RC RAM16

RC RAM16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As long as the coil springs fit in the spring buckets and they can support the weight of the vehicle and as long as all the brackets fit without interference you're good to go.
I'm running 2020 Jeep Gladiator rear control arms, 2020 Jeep Gladiator coil springs, Jeep JK adjustable rear sway bar links, why ? cause i can.. and i didn't ask anybody if they fit cause they'll look at me funny :)
Thank you for the feedback. That is what i was I thinking too. I hope to start this project soon and see how it rides unfortunately i am returning to work full time so truck time will be limited. Gladiator parts on a ram..... that is interesting. How does it ride?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Aren't both trucks built off the ram 1500 frame?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the feedback. That is what i was I thinking too. I hope to start this project soon and see how it rides unfortunately i am returning to work full time so truck time will be limited. Gladiator parts on a ram..... that is interesting. How does it ride?

Better than stock in my case and and the springs can handle a lot more weight than what the stock could, not counting the fact that i'll be able to run the same lenght shocks than what Dirt King uses in their rear long travel setup for the RAM 1500. King is building me those shocks as we speak and Accutune would revalve them to my needs. The coil springs can handle 30" extended shocks with just 2" lift in my case. perfect for long travel offroading, and the spring rates on the shocks allows them to carry weight with ease.
Clayton coil springs have 3 spring rates: 159lbs 1st, 280lbs 2nd, 360lbs 3rd rate
To put things in perspective
Stock rate is around 206lbs/inch
BDS 3" linear coil springs: 240lbs/inch
Icon 1.5" coils have 2 rates, 25% softer in 1st, 75% stiff on 2nd, so that will be 154lbs/inc 1st, 360lbs/inc 2nd
Tuff Truck 1223V and 1223VT have 2 rates, 2nd is 35% stiffer than stock or 280lbs
Tuff Truck 1223 linear is 50% stiffer or 319lbs/inc
Tuff Truck 1210's 25% stiffer, 258lbs/inch
Tuff Truck 1211 50% stiffer, 319lbs/inc

Main difference is all of them can carry more weight than stock but Icons are progressive and longer, Clayton are even longer than Icons ( 21.5" vs 19.5" free lenght) and the spring rate between 2nd and 3rd rate makes them great for extra weight/ offroad expedition weight managment. when unloaded you ride on the soft portion of the coils so they don't feel stiff one bit.
caveat, progressive springs can be a little more noisy as the death springs are closer to each other. They have a "clack" sound when they hit together when you hit a speed bump for example. Nothing sounds when i hit the hoops/washes in the desert so i haven't bothered with spring isolators :)

Regarding rear control arms, FCA shared the RAM 1500 4th gen rear control arms and panhard with the Gladiator so they're a straight fit in our application. advantage, the Jeep aftermarket typically makes a lot better chit than stock so now we have a ton of rear control arms or panhard bars we can fit in our trucks from the Jeep aftermaket for the 2020 and up Gladiator. The Clayton version of control arms i run have maintenance free bushings and the control arms are massive.

Sway bar links from the JK well i had them already in my garage and they fitted, though i had to buy new ones when i fitted the longer Clayton springs cause i went up in height. I don't like to ask so i just go by instict, they're for apllications that can flex like Mofos so they do the work. If i needed to go even higher i can upgrade to Clayton 3.5" springs and even longer JK sway bar links.
Clayton springs will provide more likely 2.5" rear lift without weight, likewise with the 3.5" version. i run almost 500lbs of weight permanently so i have around 2" total lift in the back with all my mods.

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aren't both trucks built off the ram 1500 frame?
No idea between the 4th and 5th gen, if it's a 2019 classic then it's literally the same 4th gen truck chassis yes. but i haven't seen a 1500 5th gen underneath to see what changed. I know we can't fit their gas tank skid, damn it.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
No idea between the 4th and 5th gen, if it's a 2019 classic then it's literally the same 4th gen truck chassis yes. but i haven't seen a 1500 5th gen underneath to see what changed. I know we can't fit their gas tank skid, damn it.

I should been more specific. Jeep Gladiator and Ram 1500 use Ram 1500 frame?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You should go to the BDS website and look at the rear installation instructions for the 2013-2018 4th gen and compare the part list part numbers to the 2019 5th gen part numbers. If theres no difference in the parts then the part numbers should be same of each component.

Last edited: