Winter Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonathan Penales

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll be changing oil on the weekend if weather permits. Right now I’m using Pup 5w30, but I can hear a loud tick sometimes when its really cold. I’m looking at Redline 5w30 or Amsoil 5w30. Should I go with a different viscosity? And should it be full synthetic or senthetic? Fyi I’m in Montana. Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
0w30 or 0w20 paired with a good filter, read filter thread. That is what 0 winter rated oils are for, don't be nervous about them, generally at warm temps they operate at the same viscosity as 5 rated oils. Look at cSt's on stat sheet. Generally speaking, they aren't thinner.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Penales

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
0w30 or 0w20 paired with a good filter, read filter thread. That is what 0 winter rated oils are for, don't be nervous about them, generally at warm temps they operate at the same viscosity as 5 rated oils. Look at cSt's on stat sheet. Generally speaking, they aren't thinner.

red line or amsoil? Full synthetic or synthetic?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline has been the tick killer, high performance series. Nick @gotexhaust has a hemi package deal and you can add some si-1 as well.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Listen to burla he knows what he his talking about i have 2015 ram sport and i tried pup 5w30 and i had ticking on start up and i saw a lot of other guys on the forum had the same ticking and they recommended redline 5w30 with rp filter so i tried it and dam it really worked imo pup 5w30 is like water. Im doing my oil change soon as was wondering which weight to go with for the winter and as for a filter rp wix xp and maybe even the srt filter some guys are trying them i might try srt filter next
I’ll be changing oil on the weekend if weather permits. Right now I’m using Pup 5w30, but I can hear a loud tick sometimes when its really cold. I’m looking at Redline 5w30 or Amsoil 5w30. Should I go with a different viscosity? And should it be full synthetic or senthetic? Fyi I’m in Montana. Thanks

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
amsoil almost 10 years being so cold there I d go 0 -20 but in spring change if temp 60 ok ! is ur mds turn off from a programer ! reading a lot of noise and lifter on last guy say went out 115,000 5,00 grand he replace and fixed yuck ! see guys haveing noisey lifters yuck right hope winter not to bad !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeedHead