Wireless phone charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forrest Alley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 2020
Engine
5.9 Cummins and 6.4 Hime
I have a 2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn, the wireless phone charger has only worked one time. The truck is at the dealer now for the third time, they have replaced the module and now the faceplate. Still not working, anyone else having this problem or know what the solution is?.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife has a durango with the wireless charger. It won't charge my phone unless I take my cover off. It will charge hers through her cover though. Either way it charges very slow and it is much faster to plug it in? Are you trying to charge it with some type of cover or case on your phone??

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't use mine either with the cover on it, so not sure if it works or not. And since I use CarPlay, I just keep it plugged in anyway.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine won't even fit with the rubber safety cover on it. Also won't charge with it off. I have a J7 phone and there is some kind of thin flat piece that plugs into the micro USB on the phone to make the charger recognize it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My iphone 12 pro fits even with the cover, and charges fine. The trick for me is getting it in the correct position to where it will charge. It seems to be pretty picky about placement.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My iphone 12 pro fits even with the cover, and charges fine. The trick for me is getting it in the correct position to where it will charge. It seems to be pretty picky about placement.

Same, just for an 11 pro, with an otter box case (not one of the super heavy duty ones obviously). I found the charging rate to be reasonable for being wireless, obviously it's not going to be as fast as being hard wired but it's not unusably slow either. I think mine charged 5% in 9 minutes when I timed it a while back, something around there. Not super quick but good enough.

Seems though that this may not be consistent truck to truck. Like your experience, the only time I have an issue with getting it to charge is if it's not positioned correctly, which is an easy fix. Sounds like that isn't the case for some other owners here.

Wish I could help the original poster out, hopefully someone here can help with a solution.

OP
OP
F

Forrest Alley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 2020
Engine
5.9 Cummins and 6.4 Hime
I have tried it with and without phone cover, the service person and the mechanic tried their phones, and nothing. They called me and said it's working at the moment but they want to drive it and see if it keeps working. The mechanic doesn't believe it fixed. So I'm just waiting to see what they fine.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My Rebel 21 with Iphone 12 Max, also with Otter box case almost fits, but doesn't.
It does charge though. Just really slowly. Took bit to find correct spot for mine.
I also noticed it takes while before red flashing light would come on.
Sounds like yours was/is broken though.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Galaxy S9 and S21 5G both charge fine. As stated above covers will matter and placement. I will grab a picture of where mine works and dies not.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My Rebel 21 with Iphone 12 Max, also with Otter box case almost fits, but doesn't.
It does charge though. Just really slowly. Took bit to find correct spot for mine.
I also noticed it takes while before red flashing light would come on.
Sounds like yours was/is broken though.

Say what??
I thought red flashing meant not charging and blue meant charging??

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Say what??
I thought red flashing meant not charging and blue meant charging??

That's how mine is, red if it wasn't placed properly and blue when it's charging.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
From what CanRebel posted I thought he was saying his was charging when flashing red.
Made me think mine worked and I didn't realize it did. haha.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what CanRebel posted I thought he was saying his was charging when flashing red.
Made me think mine worked and I didn't realize it did. haha.

I actually read his post that way too, so I was confirming the blue should mean charging and the red indicates a problem. Maybe he will come back and confirm for us.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
My S21 Ultra charges fine (no case/cover yet), put it almost has to be centered up on the charging pad. Note 9 charged okay too. Same thing, has to be sitting right on the charging pad.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry bad typing... You are correct. Need review before I hit that post button.

OP
OP
F

Forrest Alley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 2020
Engine
5.9 Cummins and 6.4 Hime
They may have found the problem, the Mechanic was checking the wiring and when he disconnected the third brake light wiring and plug it back in the charger started working. He said it might be coincidence but he said if it starts flashing red for me to check and see if the rear heated seats still work. So far the charger is working. The rear heated seats and the third brake light are on the same wire as the phone charger. So it could have been a bad connection that caused the problem, we're have to wait and see.

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have an iphone 6 and it will not do a wireless charge to old. But on amazon I got a Qi cover for 18 dollars that will allow it to charge on a wireless device. Works great if I get in the right position.

Efriday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5,7 L Hemi
On my 2019 RAM 1500, my Samsung S10 phone must be placed HORIZONTALLY in the charging space - not vertically as most humans would assume.
When I tested the charger on a 2021 RAM 1500, vertical placement seemed to work- even with a case ( blue light came on).

OP
OP
F

Forrest Alley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 2020
Engine
5.9 Cummins and 6.4 Hime
Unfortunately mine worked for a day and a half, then started doing the same old thing, ( not working ). I'm taking it back for the fourth time on the 13th.