Wiring Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was hoping to get some input while I look up some wiring diagrams and YouTube videos.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 4x4.

The other day I went out to start my truck:

*When I opened the door the interior lights would not come on
*NO dash lights
*Headlights were on (headlight switch in the off position, they would not turn off at all)
*My doors would not unlock but I could actuate my side mirrors
*Truck started just fine but no gauges would respond (no activity on the dash) and engine appeared to idle just fun.
*stereo speakers would blare at full volume (no music or input from radio, just static)

Next day I went out to start to investigate a little:

*All dash lights/gauges turned on
*Interior lights on now
*Headlights still won't turn off
*Truck will NOT start now
*Blinking red security light flashes when attempting to start
*Windshield wipers will not actuate

*The battery seems to have plenty of juice. The positive terminal is corroded some but does not appear to be having a negative affect but not 100% sure.

*I began checking fuses but not all of them. As I began looking at fuses and seeing that most appeared fine I realized that some fuses performed multiple functions with some stuff working an others not. Also, for all of my situations there would have been multiple blown fuses

ADDITIONAL INFO: (might not be related but given what's happening I thought I should mention it)

I bought the truck about 4-5 years ago. When I got the truck every couple of months when I turn the truck on the speakers would blare as mentioned above. To get it to stop I would have to simply shut the vehicle down and restart which always solved the problem. I assumed one of the speakers was taking a dump as sometimes one of the speakers does not play music as it is. I swapped out the radio about 3 years ago and the speaker situation never resolved but it wasn't anything that bugged me.

About every 3-6 months when turning the ignition key the truck will attempt to start but does not. On second attempt the vehicle always starts. Never really seemed like an issue to much.

Thank you for any and all help. I really appreciate it.

Mike

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I know your pain man, I went through the same crap with my 02. You don't want any corrosion on any electrical part, weather it's a battery terminal, wire connection or grounds, these trucks are VERY finicky electrically. Now with that said, go around your truck inside and out. Clean/check all and I mean all connections for corrosion, broken insulation, frayed wires, wires rubbing causing them to be exposed and or making contact with metal, burned etc, etc. The grounds will be just bolted to the fenders, frame, body, etc, etc. Most of them have multiple wires grouped together. Then put some dielectric grease on them, there is a lot of them and a lot of grounds too, don't forget about the grounding straps on the back of the heads that bolt to the firewall and the bed to cab strap also. You may have to replace the straps as they are probably original, if they are even still attached that is, they tend to disintegrate over time. once you're done with that and the problems persist, it may be the tipm [totally integrated power control modual] or pcm [power control modual] unfortunately. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask, that's what this forum is for, a lot of very intelligent people here.

OP
OP
M

Mike215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input Sykramman.

Here's where I'm at right now. I found a wiring diagram for the truck. If someone has any input on my trouble shooting/thoughts please let me know if I'm headed in the wrong direction before I throw a control module at it.

I started with the wiring diagram for the headlights. My thoughts for that was that everything else in the truck was not coming on and that the headlights were on non-stop even when in the off position. I was thinking to start there as it might be my quicker way to following that harness to find the problem to a short/broken wire since everything else was intermittent.

Sykramman had mentioned the control module. I did not see a wiring diagram that showed these parts crossing paths. Since a lot of my problems did not run on the same fuse is it safe to assume that the only thing they have in common is the control module? If so I should be able to swap that out as the common denominator.

Thanks again.

Shadra

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
Hi Mike

In the wiring diagram you found, is there something about the windshield wipers? Better something about the connector?

Thanks

Shadra

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input Sykramman.

Here's where I'm at right now. I found a wiring diagram for the truck. If someone has any input on my trouble shooting/thoughts please let me know if I'm headed in the wrong direction before I throw a control module at it.

I started with the wiring diagram for the headlights. My thoughts for that was that everything else in the truck was not coming on and that the headlights were on non-stop even when in the off position. I was thinking to start there as it might be my quicker way to following that harness to find the problem to a short/broken wire since everything else was intermittent.

Sykramman had mentioned the control module. I did not see a wiring diagram that showed these parts crossing paths. Since a lot of my problems did not run on the same fuse is it safe to assume that the only thing they have in common is the control module? If so I should be able to swap that out as the common denominator.

Thanks again.

Common denominator is how i always diagnosed, served me well. From what i've read everywhere, the TIPM is a very common failure part on chrysler vehicles. Do a little search on here also on you tube you will soon see. This part is fairly expensive and i'm still not sure if it has to programmed. Some say yes some say no. But the common signs of a filing tipm is these things you say work on their own, don't work when asked too etc.

Now with that out of the way i would correct any corrosion problems, battery terminals etc first. Don't neglect the grounds, they are equally important.

Good luck, and most importantly, let us know the outcome, we use all of these issues, diagnoses suggestions and outcomes to learn and make this a better forum.

You never know some little bit of information someone suggests on here could be a huge help to many others. Thank You, and i hope you figure this out.