Wobbling rear tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey

Is it possible for the rear wheel bearing to be broke when the hub wobble slightly but notably when rotating it by hand, and not making any noise but rotating smoothly? It feels like the bearing has become slightly elliptical for it to make the hub wobble?

The problem you feel while driving is vibrations in the whole cabin. Not particularly the steering wheel. All other wheel hubs are rotating without the slight wobble.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
with the axle/wheel jacked off the ground, try wiggling the tire side/side and up/down, there shouldn't be any play. It's possible the wheel or axle is slightly bent. Rotate that tire to see if the problem moves or stays at that location.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tire it self doesnt play when wiggling it. but when the tire is off, you can clearly see how the hub is wobbling, so the rotor is touching the pads at 2 points each turning cycle. You can see the wobble between the rotor and the pads. And the rotor is completely 100 % new so its not that the rotor is bent. You can also see the wobble with the rotor off. So for me it seems like the rear axle is moving in a elliptic pattern and not in a circular. Hence the vibrations in the car I guess. Its just strange that its not making any wierd noises like if the bearing would have been broke...

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible for the rear axle shaft to have become bent?... Must have been a great force to do such a damage?...
Or coult the bearing take a elliptical shape when broke?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is it possible for the rear axle shaft to have become bent?... Must have been a great force to do such a damage?
An innocent rear end sliding out and tapping a curb can bend more than you think.
Either way I'd probably aquire a new axle shaft, bearing and seal before tearing into the axle.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
The tire it self doesnt play when wiggling it. but when the tire is off, you can clearly see how the hub is wobbling, so the rotor is touching the pads at 2 points each turning cycle. You can see the wobble between the rotor and the pads. And the rotor is completely 100 % new so its not that the rotor is bent. You can also see the wobble with the rotor off.
"100% new" means nothing. The rotor could be warped. As for the axle flange still wobbling when the rotor is off, be careful how you view that as it is a cast part that is machined to final finish. What I suggest you do is remove the rotor and put a dial gauge on the machined face of the axle flange and see if you have excessive runout. Some things you mention cause my antenna to go up, namely the "new rotor" part. Why did you replace that to begin with? Was the old rotor difficult to remove so some ******** beat the hub with a hammer? Did you hit something and damage the rotor, which could have damaged the axle? Lots of questions here...A dial gauge is the answer.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"100% new" means nothing. The rotor could be warped. As for the axle flange still wobbling when the rotor is off, be careful how you view that as it is a cast part that is machined to final finish. What I suggest you do is remove the rotor and put a dial gauge on the machined face of the axle flange and see if you have excessive runout. Some things you mention cause my antenna to go up, namely the "new rotor" part. Why did you replace that to begin with? Was the old rotor difficult to remove so some ******** beat the hub with a hammer? Did you hit something and damage the rotor, which could have damaged the axle? Lots of questions here...A dial gauge is the answer.
Scottly..
The rotor was newly installed several months ago (and with ease, no hammer), cause of heavy vibrations when applying brakes. Already then I could see how the entire wheel wobbled and then no thought was given that the axle could be bent too. Maybe the axle being bent warped the rotor if the rotor was getting too hot. The new rotor was installed and the vibration problems disappeared when applying brakes. Just recently I noted vibrations while driving, both high and low speeds, when accelerating and crusing. Thinking first a tire was improperly balanced. Sometimes the vibrations would become more notable and sometimes you didnt think much of it.

Anyhow, a dial has been used and with the rotor off the hub its still wobbling. primarily in the horizontal direction. So much that you can see it by eye on the right side and only with gauge on the left side. When applying brakes hard you dont feel any vibrations wierdly! But when rotating the wheel by hand you can hear and feel how the brake pads are frequently touching the rotor.

If you stand above the wheel hub, with the rotor off, you can see when the hub is rotating that the hub is pushing out and in. So the axle being bent is beginning to feel like a probable cause. Only I dont understand how it could have been bent, Ive only had the truch for a year, maybe didnt notice the vibrations in the beginning.

Still without pulling out the axle its impossible to say if the bearing is worn.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Still without pulling out the axle its impossible to say if the bearing is worn.
Ok, so to be clear...In your opinion, it's either bent or you have a bad bearing...either way, you have to pull it. So....pull it. You can always support the axle tube on a jack stand, mount a dial indicator on the axle tube, check up and down play of bearing...That should tell you

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so to be clear...In your opinion, it's either bent or you have a bad bearing...either way, you have to pull it. So....pull it. You can always support the axle tube on a jack stand, mount a dial indicator on the axle tube, check up and down play of bearing...That should tell you
Thanks for the info
My opinion is just based on the bearings I've changed, never changed a bearing on a truck with a solid axle from wheel to differential, therefore was wondering if someone know if the problem I'm describing with the wobble could come from the bearing. Normally for me when diagnosing a bad bearing I can feel a play in the tire when wiggling it, or if now feeling any play then hear a sound when rotating or driving. But tearing if all apart hopefully will tell whats wrong as you said

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If this were Vegas, my money would be on bent axle. If the bearings were the problem you would probably notice a clunking sound when you push and pull on the wheel/hub (you would feel play also). I bent an axle bouncing around in my Jeep long long ago and it did everything you're describing. I didn't replace it soon enough and then the bearings went which turned a simple repair into a slightly larger headache. Good luck. Hope you figure it out and it's a simple fix.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If this were Vegas, my money would be on bent axle. If the bearings were the problem you would probably notice a clunking sound when you push and pull on the wheel/hub (you would feel play also). I bent an axle bouncing around in my Jeep long long ago and it did everything you're describing. I didn't replace it soon enough and then the bearings went which turned a simple repair into a slightly larger headache. Good luck. Hope you figure it out and it's a simple fix.
Thanks, I agree. Like most things its better to repair sooner rather than wait for the inevitable. I've ordered axles and bearings now so as long as the differential isnt malfunctioning I hope the wobble will be gone with new axles and bearings.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't had one of those axles off, but most all of the ones with this basic design use roller bearings for the bearing, not ball bearings, so it would be practically impossible for it to have worn to create a wobble. Especially as you do not feel any play when moving the tire.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't take much to bend a axle a good side impact or cutting a curb or rock short and it can be bent, the dial indicator was your best way to troubleshoot it.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't take much to bend a axle a good side impact or cutting a curb or rock short and it can be bent, the dial indicator was your best way to troubleshoot it.
The axle seems pretty robust though, thinking that a curb hit could do bend it is hard, but I understand that it could happen.

How to use the dial indicator while the axle is in place? By the flange while spinning? Is there a was to troubleshoot the axle while on the bench? Would you be able to measure a bent axle with a straight metal ruler on bench?

The axles and bearings will be replaced in a couple of days, hope it will help. The car has just struck 69000 miles, feels like a lot of parts have been replaced last year. Maybe someone know if it's kind of a normal age/milage when things happen to fall apart at the same time?... Been changing radiator all brakes, fluids, wheel bearings, plugs...

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Side note...!
Does anyone know if a lightly bent axle could worsen and become more bent over time while normally driving?
Because I've had the truck for a year and for the first 9 months I didnt feel any notable vibrations, and knowing myself I havent hit a curb or pot hole big enough to bend 2 axles.

OP
OP
M

mralaskan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One axle shaft has been inserted just to try to spin the flange and see if there is any wobbling. With the new axle the visual wobble is gone. But the there is a slight play up and down when the axle is in place... Indicating that the bearing is also bad? The bearing looks good but the cylinders inside the bearing is playing a little bit when pushing on them. Anyone knows if thats normal? Should there be a slight, microscopical yet noticeable, bearing play or should the axle feel rock solid up and down?