Won’t start please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwilde86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks in advance for any help.

I have an 05 ram 1500 5.7 4x4. During the Illinois polar vortex I went outside to use the truck and the battery was dead. I figured the cold weather killer the cells. Bought a new battery and it just cranks.

Tried some starter fluid in the intake and still won’t start. So I’m assuming my issue is spark.

Now looking online I’m seeing the most responses for spark issues being the cam and crank sensors.

Now before i start changing things out I just wanted to make sure these trucks didn’t come with a security system like some chevys did where if it loses power the vehicle won’t start until it’s reset type of a thing. Not really sure where to start on these hemi engines to diagnose spark issues since I don’t have a Haynes manual yet. So any insight is welcome.

And thank you again.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To reset the computer, take off both the negative and positive battery cables and touch them together for at least five seconds. That doesn’t sound like the problem but it doesn’t cost anything but time. Did you scan for codes?

OP
OP
B

bwilde86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not yet. I was going to borrow my buddies scanner this weekend. I have just been too busy and it’s been cold and snowy for me to crawl under it since I don’t use it daily.

Just wasn’t sure if the computer had a security feature.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It resets the computer. You will see a little spark sometimes when doing it,

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It discharges the capacitors, thus resetting all electronics to factory settings.. orrrrr something like that.