Wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
So i have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7l hemi. my truck will just click. When I turn the key you can feel it slightly turn the crank but wont continue. If I sit there and keep doing sometimes 10 sometime 50 times it may start or may not. Ive replaced the the starter with a brand new not refurbished. Ive replaced the ignition switch in the column. Ive replaced the battery. Still nothing. Ive checked and cleaned grounds still nothing. The negative battery terminal is hot. Please help this is my work truck i was going go put a video but it wont let me.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Grounds need to be cleaned. Guaranteed the ones that hook to the head are broken. Pull the one that goes to the block from the battery . Sand the block and clean terminal and reinstall with white lithium grease. Do this for all the grounds. I added extra grounds and it solved my problem.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay the engine ground may be corroded under the plastic covering. Look at it close . You may need a new cable but don’t use the smaller ones the auto parts store sells. I bought a vehicle ground kit online with heavier wire size.

OP
OP
E

Eric Gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Under what plastic covering the main grounds from terminal are on panel right next to battery and on the frame directly under battery in fenderwell

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I mean the ground wires themselves corrode under the cable insulation covering.

OP
OP
E

Eric Gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Yeah theres one i havent done and im sure more like the one on the ac compressor

OP
OP
E

Eric Gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
So i left the battery off for 2 days i got busy and. Wasnt able to work on it . i have not replaced anything. Because im wanting to get to the bottom of it. So what i did is went threw every cylinder and pulled a plug. I then while i have it apart cleaned the carb because it was black black. I put everything back together and went to fire it up first turn it fired right up. Turned it off the trief turning back on but this time it did the same and clicked. But only clicked twice then fired did this over and over and the more times i did it the more cranks it took to fire it over. So where should i got from there

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I then while i have it apart cleaned the carb because it was black black.
Oh, you have a carb do you.....? :wtf2:

Turned it off the trief turning back on but this time it did the same and clicked. But only clicked twice then fired did this over and over and the more times i did it the more cranks it took to fire it over. So where should i got from there
Did you clean/check the actual hot wire going to the starter? If the terminal on that has enough corrosion on it (trust me, it doesn't take much) it'll present the symptoms you've described...happened to me about 10yrs ago.

OP
OP
E

Eric Gregg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
So i left the battery off for 2 days i got busy and. Wasnt able to work on it . i have not replaced anything. Because im wanting to get to the bottom of it. So what i did is went threw every cylinder and pulled a plug. I then while i have it apart cleaned the carb because it was black black. I put everything back together and went to fire it up first turn it fired right up. Turned it off the trief turning back on but this time it did the same and clicked. But only clicked twice then fired did this over and over and the more times i did it the more cranks it took to fire it over. So where should i got from there

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Your truck doesn't have a carburetor. I would guess that you fouled the plugs and washed gunk down the intake. Pull a couple and look at them again.