Word of advice... Never few up your tank pass the 1st click!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I learned the hard way what filling beyond the first click does. When you fill beyond that point there is some device that prevents a gas leak in a roll over accident, if you over fill too many times this gets damaged and then you can put in only a few gallons at a time. I had the Mopar Max Care warranty and it only cost me $100 deductible, otherwise it would have been about $1400.

Don't fill your tank beyond the first click. Learn from my mistake. FCA should have some kind of warning where its noticable!

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Dude, it's 100% B.S. Fuel systems have all kinds of issues. Some idiots think that because they fill more than the first click that it cause a fuel system issue that would have happened no matter what they did or didn't do. There is no evidence that any fuel system issues have ever been caused by filling in any way shape or form you decide to do.

It's simple to understand why it's B.S. If you fill to the first click, you are ALREADY over the amount the tank can hold and the fuel is beyond that and up the fill tube. Adding another ounce or two does not change that fact. So there is no way it can hurt any more. Zero, Ziltch, Nada.

If you believe it does, I have some swamp land for you in Florida at a great price.

Seriously, this is how Dictators get into Office. People believe too much internet B.S.

Hate to tell you, you are very wrong. Read my post just above you. This is a well kept secret by FCA and it ought to be in print on the inside cover when you open the outside cover to the tank. My dealer says they see this more than they like.

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In past years the evaporate canister was located in the engine compartment and connected to the tank by 20 feet of so of hose. Today they are located usually next to the tank. There is not enough room in the engine bay. I have a Mitsubishi that soon after I got it was giving codes on the evap system. The valve was replaced and problem continued. Took out canister and it reeked of gas. I replaced it and problem went away. Out of curiosity I opened the old canister and found the charcoal medium was a *** of gas soaked fabric and charcoal blocking the valves. In looking at how the hoses were routed I could see gas could splash into the hose if overfilled and damaged the canister. I now stop at the first click and have had no problems. My new knowledge of how these systems work only cost $150 and a few hours under the car.

My sister used to fill to the top of the filler neck until she had to buy a new canister and install from a Ford dealer for over $500. Her now ex-husband is about as useful around a car as an accordion when deer hunting. I think he knows which end of a screwdriver to hold, but gets confused at the flat/Phillips decision.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude, it's 100% B.S. Fuel systems have all kinds of issues. Some idiots think that because they fill more than the first click that it cause a fuel system issue that would have happened no matter what they did or didn't do. There is no evidence that any fuel system issues have ever been caused by filling in any way shape or form you decide to do.

It's simple to understand why it's B.S. If you fill to the first click, you are ALREADY over the amount the tank can hold and the fuel is beyond that and up the fill tube. Adding another ounce or two does not change that fact. So there is no way it can hurt any more. Zero, Ziltch, Nada.

If you believe it does, I have some swamp land for you in Florida at a great price.

Seriously, this is how Dictators get into Office. People believe too much internet B.S.
AH, another web site expert !!!! Know to many folks who HAVE had issues because of overfilling, but yeh you know better, right??????

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
AH, another web site expert !!!! Know to many folks who HAVE had issues because of overfilling, but yeh you know better, right??????

Actually, yes, I am a web expert. Been working in the field for years before .com was a thing. There were lies and rumors out of control back then too. If there is a fuel system issue, it is not from over filling, it's due to another issue. Tying it to overfilling is just ignoring the real problem. Just an excuse for a repair guy to feed you instead of doing the real work.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, I guess I will Opine..

When filling the tank, the fuel going in is being sprayed in (lack for better words here) so the fuel is full of air pockets, add to this the disturbance in the tank and you have so much foaming going on, the foaming during the final part of the fill actually backs up the neck shutting off the fuel (Click) Its ok to continue to one more click, that will fill the tank---and only the tank. To continue on WILL ABSOLUTELY DAMAGE THE FUEL EVAPORATION SYSTEM. If you do not believe this or its never happened to you--congratulations on being lucky and ignorant.

On another note, drive a Diesel its much better! :head3::headbang:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

Some people have problems with overilling some don't ... I never overfill ever and filling up my truck is a struggle .... it will honestly click at least 20 times before it fills up and that is if it's 1/2 full or with 1/4 tank left lol ..

The fact is that there is definitely something wrong with a lot of these truck's fuel filling system

Terry Hartsel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Yeah I've seen people click and click and bump their cars to burp them, drives me nuts. I've told the wife and kids best practice was first click just stop, your not getting that much more fuel and I'm not replacing the Evap canister because of that.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
n another note, drive a Diesel its much better! :head3::headbang:

Oh... the threads on diesel fuel system issues... :) Just kidding, I keep wondering if a Diesel is in my sights next. Too bad the OEMs do such a mediocre job on 1/2 ton trucks in this area.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has nothing to do with the first or second “click”! You have a cracked or leaking filler neck have the dealer do a smoke test. (Leak test). I will bet dollars to donuts you have a leak somewhere. Don’t let the dealership sell you BS. Have them smoke test the gas tank!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well, it seems some trucks are different than others. My 1st click off leaves room for anywhere from 1/2 gallon to maybe 6 gallons. Big difference.
Different nozzle angles?
Different nozzle spray patterns?
I don't know but I must just be one of the lucky ones 'cause over 45 years and 4 different Rams, I've never had any issues. Never spilled any gas on the ground.
I get why we shouldn't do it. I understand the science and design of the entire fuel system.
If I wasn't such a stubborn, old-school shade tree mechanic, I'd probably change what I do. Problem is, if I screw up I only hurt myself financially. F it. Don't care. I pumped gas in Jersey with a cigarette in my mouth for 4 years until graduating high school. Never blew anybody or anything up by accident.

Too old to change things now.

What was it Richard Prior said?...

"Ya got ta lissen ta old people. They didn't get ta bein' old by bein' no fool.
Lotta young, wise men that'r deader 'n a Muffucker."

Over and out...

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Well, it seems some trucks are different than others. My 1st click off leaves room for anywhere from 1/2 gallon to maybe 6 gallons. Big difference.
Different nozzle angles?
Different nozzle spray patterns?
I don't know but I must just be one of the lucky ones 'cause over 45 years and 4 different Rams, I've never had any issues. Never spilled any gas on the ground.
I get why we shouldn't do it. I understand the science and design of the entire fuel system.
If I wasn't such a stubborn, old-school shade tree mechanic, I'd probably change what I do. Problem is, if I screw up I only hurt myself financially. F it. Don't care. I pumped gas in Jersey with a cigarette in my mouth for 4 years until graduating high school. Never blew anybody or anything up by accident.

Too old to change things now.

What was it Richard Prior said?...

"Ya got ta lissen ta old people. They didn't get ta bein' old by bein' no fool.
Lotta young, wise men that'r deader 'n a Muffucker."

Over and out...

What does the second click of a little gas get you? Nothing, unless you run your tank dry.

Let's say your truck gets 20 mpg and the second click get you 1/2 gallon extra. So, the only time that helps you is if you run your truck to empty or 10 miles. Other then that, nothing.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
What does the second click of a little gas get you? Nothing, unless you run your tank dry.

Let's say your truck gets 20 mpg and the second click get you 1/2 gallon extra. So, the only time that helps you is if you run your truck to empty or 10 miles. Other then that, nothing.

Unfortunately the way the system makes the pump nozzles click off doesn't work like it should on all trucks/cars ...

People are confusing or not understanding the whole reason behind the system making the nozzles click off .... they don't understand that it's to prevent a damn spontaneous combustion because of a static charge ....

People like to use the lock system on the gas nozzles to let it fill up while they are inside their vehicles ...well before these systems to make the nozzle click off, people wouldn't notice or the nozzle wouldn't click off and you had gaz all over the ground ... some poor idiots would step out of their vehicles and had static built up and the little charge it created was enough to blow up the ******** ...

So the system gets fawked up when we let the gas go over the limit set inside the fuel, filler tube, evap canister and what ever else and we get it either clogged or it comes defective from the start ... any obstruction in the vent system will make the gas nozzle shut off prematurely ....

We might be able to bypass it but I don't understand how and what makes it all work the way it is supposed to ... a lot of older vehicles have this safety feature built it in but they are not as sensitive as the ones on these Rams for some reason ...

All my other vehicles except for this Ram have ever made the gas nozzles click off ... when it does click off once I know that it has reached the limit and no more gas goes in ....

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think this is an over-exaugurated problem just like most of the problems on these truck forums.

unnamed.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I think this is an over-exaugurated problem just like most of the problems on these truck forums.

Not really exaggeration but more of an annoyance because this clicking off happens all the time for some of us .... so obviously if you don't have this issue you are going to think we are over exaggerating .. I have a few videos of how many times the damn gas nozzle clicks off and how far in between each click off ... I will post them on youtube and post the link ... it literally takes me 20 minutes to fill up if I am close to 1/4 of a tank .... so actually it's not exaggeration its a fact ...