Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about failed lifters? Read this.

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by NY Andrew, Mar 24, 2020.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. NY Andrew

NY Andrew Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L V8 Hemi
    So I’m 1.5 hours in (3/4 finished) with the 540Rat blog. Amazing how smart this guy is. But stumbled upon this.

Those of you persistent about using 5W30 to try and prevent lifter failure are wasting your time.

Assuming based off his analysis all we can do is just GUESS when a lifter is about to fail and get it replaced before it causes serious engine damage?

He does mention that 5W30 could potentially assist in engine noise due to being a bit thicker, but apparently we can’t do anything to prevent lifter failure and it’s good to know idling isn’t a bad thing for them! I thought idling was bad for Hemi lifters.

In the end, if under warranty, we’ll still be questioned and potentially blamed for this due to oil or change interval etc etc, but the truth of the matter is, OIL/Filter play NO ROLE IN LIFTER FAILURE!

[​IMG]

2. kurek

kurek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Lifters as routine maintenance items... WTG Ram! :banghead:

3. Travelin Ram

Travelin Ram Senior Member

Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
    Ram Year:
    Engine:
    It’s a QC issue IMO. Otherwise they would all fail at a similar lifetime. Not disagreeing that rollers are a demanding design, but anything mechanical has a finite design life for a particular percentage to survive a designated amount of usage. You can design for a 100k or a million. And you can hold your suppliers to a certain amount of deviation.

I don’t think I’d be happy with the performance of an engine built to a million mile half life personally. Nor do I really need it to outlast the body.

But when you have too many outliers experiencing that type of wear prior to 100k it looks like too much variation in the lifter quality.

4. ripping r

ripping r Old&Grumpy

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    Right after bottom line. It says solid lifters. We do not have solid roller lifters we have hydraulic roller lifters. So i would not read to much in to that. But thats me.

Gero, WY.Ram, sparky300 and 16 others like this.
  5. tjfdesmo

tjfdesmo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 3500 DRW CTD
    Engine:
    CGI Cummins 6.7 HO
    Ha, beat me to it. Hydraulics are zero lash.

6. tidefan1967

tidefan1967 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Just another mans opinion out of many. That GOD awful clattering is definitely due to lack of proper lubrication and making it stop has to be a good thing whether it’s changing the weight or a better brand of oil or both.

7. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

EXACTLY apples and oranges. He even states about the valve lash causing the hammering - hydraulic lifters have no lash.

8. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I think these lifters were on some very high performance or race motor and the specs are to show what he measured during teardown and inspection of the failed part.
    Really has no bearing on our lifters or such.

9. Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Sport Quad BSP
    Engine:
    3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
    *grabs extra buttery popcorn because gifs aren’t loading right now

10. Fitz-0518

Fitz-0518 Veteran 66-68 Military

Ram Year:
    2018 2500. 2018 1500
    Engine:
    6.4 3.6
    Every 5.7 or 6.4 is different for a simple reason. The parts that go into these engines and the assembly process, have no quality control. FCA is constantly receiving just in time parts from a vendor for assembly, and part of the order is out of spec. Frankly, my POV. Our 5.7 and 6.4 engines would easily go 500k+ miles with good oil and filters if,,,,,,,,,,,FCA/RAM put quality control procedures back on line. Each part run would be sampled and if tolerance varied more than________. Vendor doesn't get paid for that run. Look at how many recalls, TSB's and dealer alerts there are for "parts" When the FCA buyer locates a vendor in Taiwan that will produce our cam's for $12.59, you must check quality. Same reason Ford and GM have the same issue. It is the luck of the draw. Some of our trucks will never have a tick, rattle or major failure. They will run smooth and quite for years and miles. They got a good run of good parts.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020