Would like a higher PSI for my engine oil, options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I'm hoping to see if there are a few options or course of action I can take. I've heard many stories about what PSI my engine oil should be (average) and I've been told that anywhere between 25psi - 55psi is normal, however my issue is that these 5.7 Hemi engines have a design flaw and and years of researching and talking with mechanics, these engines just aren't getting the proper amount of oil to the top end (rockers arms/pushrods).

IS there a method to getting higher oil pressure for these engines, say in the range of 45-75psi?
If so, what would be the best method at achieving that? A higher pressure oil pump? or something else I'm not aware of?

Thanks.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You've "heard many stories" and "been told"? Yeah that's very reliable info. :crazy:
How many bazillions of these 5.7 Hemi engines are out there with the normal acceptable oil PSI they came with from the factory? Are the all failing because of not high enough oil pressure? I seriously doubt it.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I'm hoping to see if there are a few options or course of action I can take. I've heard many stories about what PSI my engine oil should be (average) and I've been told that anywhere between 25psi - 55psi is normal, however my issue is that these 5.7 Hemi engines have a design flaw and and years of researching and talking with mechanics, these engines just aren't getting the proper amount of oil to the top end (rockers arms/pushrods).

IS there a method to getting higher oil pressure for these engines, say in the range of 45-75psi?
If so, what would be the best method at achieving that? A higher pressure oil pump? or something else I'm not aware of?

Thanks.
Op

Best advice I can provide is increasing your idle speed to 750 rpms.

Of course that will require a tuner.

Other options include either the HC oil pump with the 5.7 spring or the melling oil pump.

@Wild one will be your best option for advice.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Thanks.
It's not the top end that lacks oil,it's the cam lobes and lifter wheels that don't get enough oil. As BigSky and Burla stated your best option is a tuner and then up the idle rpm to roughly 750 rpm,and don't be scared to drive it a bit aggressively at times.
There's no pressurized oil fed to the cam lobes and lifter wheel,so pumping more oil through the system,isn't really the cure all.The cam lobes are still lubricated by the oil flung off the crank,so a higher idle rpm throws more oil onto the lobes when the engine is idling,and slightly aggressive driving that keeps the rpms up above 2500 rpm also throws more oil onto the lobes.
With the idle rpm set to 750,you'll have just as much oil pressure as the hellcat pump creates at 560/600 rpm,with the benefit of more oil coming off the crank to lube the cam.If you're hung up on the Hellcat pump,install your original bypass spring from your stock pump,and if you decide to go with the Melling HV pump,use the low pressure bypass spring,but you'll still want to up your idle rpm to 750

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are probably a few machining or external oil tube ideas you could try, to feed the cam oil. And tap into the oil feed.

Anything is possible with enough effort. Why not try and give us a tutorial what you did?

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
High psi versus high volume oil pump, rick will chime in HV is a better way forward?
Exactly. Raising the oil pressure is as easy as increasing the oil viscosity, but you risk low volume and starving components.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There are probably a few machining or external oil tube ideas you could try, to feed the cam oil. And tap into the oil feed.

Anything is possible with enough effort. Why not try and give us a tutorial what you did?
The cam bearings themselves don't lack oil,it's the cam lobes that are out in the open with no pressurized oil fed to them that lack lubrication. Something similiar to the piston squirters to spray oil onto the cam lobes would do wonders for keeping the cam alive. Alot of aftermarket cams are ground on billet cores which makes a world of differance,Johnson also makes lifters that bleed oil down to the rollers and consequently onto the lobes to some extent,but they're high dollar lifters and hard to justify on a daily driver vehicle.With them you'd probably want the HV pumps,as they're basically another internal leak inside the engine

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
You've "heard many stories" and "been told"? Yeah that's very reliable info. :crazy:
How many bazillions of these 5.7 Hemi engines are out there with the normal acceptable oil PSI they came with from the factory? Are the all failing because of not high enough oil pressure? I seriously doubt it.

Well for starters, I'm one of those stories, so yeah my story is pretty reliable.....
A new crate engine was installed in my truck a little over 6 months ago and the Cam lobe failed on it because of insufficient oil reaching that part of the engine (only had 150k on it) I really don't feel like having another motor installed EVER again, with that being said, this is my 3rd Ram in 15 years so I'm no stranger to the pros/cons and failure rates of these engines, so a means of better educating myself and others is what this post is all about.

Thanks for chiming in..

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I changed from using 5w/20 to using 0w/20 and have noticed an increase in consistency of oil pressure.

IMG_0437.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm going to be switching over to 5w30 AMSOIL on my next oil change and thereafter.
Check out this thread,you might want to add a bottle of this stuff in with your Amsoil.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally, I would go the Melling pump. The high pressure spring is only rated for an additional 10 PSI, over stock one.
Has anyone here tried the Johnson lifters on a non-MDS engine? They seen to have an oil bleed hole directly feeding the lifter roller (see encircled area in pic). I may be mistaken.

1712732033187.png

If true, that "should" eliminate all cam / roller lack of oil scenarios.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Personally, I would go the Melling pump. The high pressure spring is only rated for an additional 10 PSI, over stock one.
Has anyone here tried the Johnson lifters on a non-MDS engine? They seen to have an oil bleed hole directly feeding the lifter roller (see encircled area in pic). I may be mistaken.

View attachment 540938

If true, that "should" eliminate all cam / roller lack of oil scenarios.
You don't need the high pressure spring in a Melling pump,you want the low pressure spring,otherwise there's a good chance you'll get an oil pressure code.

There's 2 outfits building lifters and using the Johnson name.
These are the ones you want,not the ones you've linked to.

Check out post #22 and #23,lol

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You don't need the high pressure spring in a Melling pump,you want the low pressure spring,otherwise there's a good chance you'll get an oil pressure code.

There's 2 outfits building lifters and using the Johnson name.
These are the ones you want,not the ones you've linked to.

Check out post #22 and #23,lol

Kind of confused. The ones in the picture I sent have the exact same logo on therm as the ones you linked to and the picture came off that site.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Kind of confused. The ones in the picture I sent have the exact same logo on therm as the ones you linked to and the picture came off that site.
You're right,had to look closer.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L

Thanks.
My 2029 High Output Cummins runs at 51 psi