Would "you" buy this truck? Please post your thoughts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
if it all checks out mechanically I would go for it. Its rare to know the full history. Maybe ask that should anything go wrong for a specified period that the mechanic at your job fix it labor free-you pay parts. As for price of $4,000 I think your boss likes you and is giving you a break on price because your car is down and out. I think that to try and low-ball him would be an insult to him. If you can live with a stranger walking in and buying it for $4,000 and you not kicking yourself for not jumping on it then go ahead and pass on it. Fix your toyota and move on. But to insult your boss with an even lower number may not be good for your working environment and future at his business. My thoughts anyway.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My answer, No, I would not buy it as a daily. I can't figure out if you do your own wrenching or not. Remember, cost of driving is going to double. 35mpg to 12-18, 4 plugs to 8, and so on. It gets even worse if you have to pay someone. Nick

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
No warranty unfortunately...it is "as is". The thing is, my current little daily driver I used ( an old 90's toyota Corolla but only 100,000 miles on it) is down right now and needs to be repaired etc.

What are you going to do when this truck inevitably goes down? And it's going to.

I get the posters arguing it's a bargain even if you put a new motor in it. I might not agree, but I get where they are coming from. But what do you do while it's waiting for a new trans or new motor?

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you going to do when this truck inevitably goes down? And it's going to.

I get the posters arguing it's a bargain even if you put a new motor in it. I might not agree, but I get where they are coming from. But what do you do while it's waiting for a new trans or new motor?
How much is a cheap little rental car on a weekly rate? Few hundo? Or is it a lot more and I’m in left field.....

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy it, a running 4 wheel drive in any condition is worth it alone but if it’s as clean as you say I’d pull the trigger on it. Even down the road if it needs any mechanical you can find parts anywhere on line and you could replace engine, trans, transfer case for less than 3,000 and with less miles.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
5 pages and nobody wants to know wtf this truck actually looks like?

im here just 4 pics, then ill give my 2cents lol

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I other little to consider. Transmissions are usually good for 100k before they need to be rebuilt. This truck has twice that...

This isn't just a Dodge thing, all automatics transmissions are designed to last 100k.
Are you living in the '60s? Transmissions these days last into the 200k+ with normal maintenance.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I other little to consider. Transmissions are usually good for 100k before they need to be rebuilt. This truck has twice that...

This isn't just a Dodge thing, all automatics transmissions are designed to last 100k.

Someone didn't get this memo to VernDiesel's 8HP70 transmission, he's pushing almost 700K miles most of which are towing TTs. There are a few other that are over 200K and 300K miles and countless number that are over 100K miles, no trans issues with any of them.

ak rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My opinion... I never do personal business with my family, my close friends, or my employer. Period. Doesn't matter if it's the best deal I've ever seen. There's just too many chances for unforeseen issues. Not worth the hassle. There will be other deals.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Buy it, a running 4 wheel drive in any condition is worth it alone but if it’s as clean as you say I’d pull the trigger on it. Even down the road if it needs any mechanical you can find parts anywhere on line and you could replace engine, trans, transfer case for less than 3,000 and with less miles.
Its a 2wd

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Four grand into a used Corolla would be a better investment in an everyday beater to drive.

Strictly as a financial decision. Personally I like driving large vehicles and I can afford them so I do what I like.

The sweet spot in used vehicles is buying them low mileage but depreciated and driving them until the high maintenance end of life expenses start kicking in. This vehicle is already at the second point, which is why the owner is selling.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
How much is a cheap little rental car on a weekly rate? Few hundo? Or is it a lot more and I’m in left field.....

Not my point. He's selling his existing vehicle instead of making needed repairs. What's the plan for when this one needs repairs as well? Because it's going to.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Hello. I'm posting in hopes some people will give their thoughts on this. My
work is selling one of their trucks. It's a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L V8 white
single cab. It is in excellent condition (looks brand new...no issues running at
all) and has been properly maintained by the mechanic at work. It was driven
by one of the office people whom I know pretty much babied it it's entire life.
All highway miles. Never towed anything..., heck he never even had stuff in the bed as it all
looks brand new.

The issue I have is it has 230,000 miles on it which is of course a major turn
off. They started off asking $8000 and people would come look at it and
leave. They are now asking $6500 which is still too high in my opinion.
However, I was speaking with the boss about it and he mentioned that I,
being an employee, may be able to purchase it for $4000. (which is better but still high to me)

The only issue the truck has ever had was a module related to the
transmission as it was having issues shifting at some point in its life. The
mechanic changed the module and it has never had a problem since. Nothing
else has been changed on the truck (except for routine maintenance related
things).

I wouldn't plan on doing much with the truck. I definitely would not tow with it.
Just thinking of using it as a daily driver since I live pretty close to work and
maybe throw a dirt bike or 2 in the back during the winter months. So if you
were in my shoes, what would "you" do? I'm definitely indecisive..but $4000
would be relatively cheap....it's just that mileage that concerns me!

Thanks for any thoughts!

Sorry not me. JMO and you did want it.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
single cab. It is in excellent condition (looks brand new...no issues running at
All highway miles. Never towed anything..., heck he never even had stuff in the bed as it all
looks brand new.

being an employee, may be able to purchase it for $4000. (which is better but still high to me)

things).

I wouldn't plan on doing much with the truck. I definitely would not tow with it.
Just thinking of using it as a daily driver since I live pretty close to work and

Thanks for any thoughts!

Yes, i would say **** yes to that and buy it in a heartbeat.

Mine has 500K on her, give or take a few hundred, and she’s still purring. Make sure she has a tune up and reg tranny fluid changes though and it’ll be the most reliable vehicle you’ve driven.

The interior is okay, it’s worn, the seats aren’t ripped up but the center console is ripped up where my elbow goes, the gear shifter has peeling chrome and the shifter boot is cracked, other than that, she’s beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
At $4,000 I'd buy it for a spare/work truck. I used to have a spare small Dodge years ago, rarely drove it but it was perfect for when I needed that "extra" vehicle. This would be the case for me in your shoes. But that's me...

And, 230K miles? American made? Hell, it's just getting broke in!

And offer them the $3600 KBB value on it, not $4000.

Especially with the 3rd gen 4.7L, best V8 chrysler ever put into a truck. The Hemi is good when you get a reliable one yes, but taking the risk isn’t something i personally would do.

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
4k for a truck like that (if you are able to pull it off) would be a great deal, dare I say a steal. Any issues with rust on the underside?

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with one of the earlier posts that said - would you be upset if someone else walked in and bought it? If yes, then I think you have your answer. However, since you know the maintenance history and the mechanic from the company still works there - you have some comfort in knowing that he could likely assist - or at least provide some advice with a future problem. So, I think the "flash the cash" option works and decide whether you really want it or not. In this scenario I would do it and know that you may need to fix the nickel-and-dime stuff that comes with owning a high-mileage vehicle.

Good luck...

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Especially with the 3rd gen 4.7L, best V8 chrysler ever put into a truck. The Hemi is good when you get a reliable one yes, but taking the risk isn’t something i personally would do.

Lmao, talk about taking a risk. Buying a wore out truck is taking a huge risk.!

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
looks brand new.

things).

Thanks for any thoughts!

I would not touch truck, repairs will probably cost you more than truck is worth.